Jambands.ca

Ryan Adams on Quitting Smoking

bouche

Hello.

I know that not too many people read this but I just wanted to put this out there ok?

I was a smoker for 20 years ( wow - hard to even write that!) and I quit over x-mas.

Someone I love very very much asked me to quit. It was, for me, more than enough of a reason to quit. So I quit, no help, no questions, no band aid. I just stopped.

So today I went to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned, which was something I was very much looking forward to because after a month a non-smoking me realized how awful my teeth and mouth had become from years of smoking.

I can safely say I asked the dentist here “how bad was it” and told them how I had smoked heavily for so long.

The response was shocking. My dentist said ” I won’t lie, it was pretty bad”

Now I have clean teeth and at least a shot at maintaining some dental health.

WHY AM I OVER-SHARING?????????????????????????????

This is LAME and PROBABLY NOT COOL TO SAY BUT-

IF YOU ARE A SMOKER, AND YOU ARE ON THE FENCE ABOUT IT and YOU WANT TO QUIT- JUST KNOW THIS…..I DID IT, and I AM A WHINING CRY-BABY AND I DID IT-

and just know this- YOU CAN DO IT TOO- IF I CAN DO IT YOU CAN!!!

and if you are happy smoking no problem, I get it.

I AM HAPPY I MADE THIS CHANGE, I MISS SMOKING SURE BUT STAYING HAPPY AND HEALTHY IS WAY MORE IMPORTANT-

ANYWAY- Sorry for the heavy message….

XO

Ryan

For the record, I support him and everyone who quits.

I'm just saying, as a guy who has quit smoking hundreds of times, from that post I can tell this is his first time quitting. There's always a bit of a sheepish period when one starts again, but even moreso after loudly and publicly professing about having stopped.

For the record, I support him and everyone who quits.

I'm just saying, as a guy who has quit smoking hundreds of times, from that post I can tell this is his first time quitting. There's always a bit of a sheepish period when one starts again, but even moreso after loudly and publicly professing about having stopped.

Exactly. Doesn't mean he can't be optimistic. Making things so public could be a way of trying to somehow be more accountable to himself. I finally did quit just over five years ago now. While for the most part I find smoking revolting now, I still get the odd little craving that will materialize out of nowhere. There are still the very odd moments in time where the appeal sneaks in. I try to remain humble about it all as I know I'm likely never be completely immune to falling down that slippery slope again.

coincidentally, im attending a WHO seminar this afternoon about the onset of smoking in south asia. in developing countries, price is said to be the most important predictor of whether you will start smoking or not.

it's hard to take seriously government cessation initiatives in some countries however when the largest cigarette manufacturers are state owned.

is there some sort of unwritten rule that rock stars can do absolutely ANYTHING to their hair and everyone just accepts it? Do you have to sell a certain number of records before that kicks in?

I bet that's why Keith Richards puts all that shit in his hair- he was probably sitting around with Mick and Ron saying "You know I'll bet you I can tie all sorts of crap in my hair and no-one will even mention it in the show reviews the next day" and it just escalated from there. Probably doesn't even remember why he does it now...

Not that I don't like Ryan's hair, by the way.

is there some sort of unwritten rule that rock stars can do absolutely ANYTHING to their hair and everyone just accepts it? Do you have to sell a certain number of records before that kicks in?

I bet that's why Keith Richards puts all that shit in his hair- he was probably sitting around with Mick and Ron saying "You know I'll bet you I can tie all sorts of crap in my hair and no-one will even mention it in the show reviews the next day" and it just escalated from there. Probably doesn't even remember why he does it now...

clinton.jpg

Aloha,

Brad