Jambands.ca

Bruce Pennisila and Allegories Tomorrow?

Jakis

There's an article on them in Ottawa XPress this week.

Listening to Bruce Peninsula did not make me find God, but despite being an adamant atheist, it kind of made me want to. This is a fairly typical reaction to the gospel-inspired music of the Toronto-based, seven-member collective.

"Spiritual" is the number-one adjective used to describe Bruce Peninsula's hauntingly emotive sound in the Canadian music press - an apt word choice. The band's signature use of choir vocals may be the precocious culprit.

This week's issue also has a review of the new album by Timber Timbre, one of the opening acts for BP's Ottawa show on Friday, and it got 4/5 stars.

This is good stuff, real good stuff. Toronto's Timber Timbre is essentially one man and his musical vision: Mr. Taylor Kirk, a talented multi-instrumentalist, vocalist and songwriter. He's led the charge over the course of three albums, the newest self-titled record assembling an array of gifted outside players who add layers of mystery, sinister organ grooves, charm and panache to his neo-noir tales of love, lust and the dark. Timber Timbre roam the worlds of folk, blues, country and pop, though using these only as mere portals into a cool sound world all its own.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

Last night was awesome, Did anyone on here show?

2 drummers, often 3

8 vocalists. Sometimes gospel sounding, sometimes they sound like native indian war chants. lots of percussion. Sometimes Frank Zappa-esque back-ground vocals. Lots of fun and lots going on.

Last night was awesome, Did anyone on here show?

2 drummers, often 3

8 vocalists. Sometimes gospel sounding, sometimes they sound like native indian war chants. lots of percussion. Sometimes Frank Zappa-esque back-ground vocals. Lots of fun and lots going on.

I wish I could have made it Ken, thats sounds like a really great show. Unfortunately, lack of acceptable finances kept me rather close to home.

Next time I hope.

• 3 weeks later...

They are playing on CBC's Q tomorrow morning!

That's right folks. A little last minute thing we've been asked to do. This thing is national though so tune in and see how we stammer and stutter.

Um...ah....um....ah.....

Q airs live this Friday, Feb. 27th from 10am - 12pm. We're the special live guests so we'll be on the whole show.

Keep your ears peeled ! And send CBC a note to say NICE BOOKING FEDERAL FOLKS.