Jambands.ca

sustainable seafood

meggo

• 3 months later...

It's fucking amazing Kev. Go there! I haven't been to as many upscale restaurants as some here, but Whalesbone is definitely in my top 2 (and it's only the top 2 and not top 1 because sometimes I'm not in the mood for seafood / fish)

(Also, there is the The Sustainable Oyster & Fish Supply on Kent Street between Arlington and Flora, run by Whalesbone. It's only open Friday and Saturday, but is hands down the best place to buy fish and seafood in Ottawa - if anyone doubts this check their customer list . And, little known fact, they serve lunches there on Fridays and Saturdays - usually the choices are a Perch Dog, a Walleye Burger, and a Salmon Sandwich. So delicious!!)

Hux introduced me to the Whalesbone on his birthday and it was outstanding. Not posh and fru fru, but more casual and intimate (read small).

Prices are okay for the quality and quantity. The oysters are out of this world, and I had a tuna tartar that was amongst the best I've ever had. But the smoked fish that Mike ordered tasted like cancer. Far too much smoke, no other flavor. I only had a small bite and might be turned off of smoke flavour for a while. No way could I have eaten the whole dish.

Stay away from a smoked dish and you're golden. I highly reccomend it.

Canada’s largest grocery retailer, Brampton, ON-based Loblaw Companies Limited’s seafood will be expected to come from sustainable sources by the end of 2013. “The world’s oceans are facing an unprecedented crisis,†said Galen G. Weston, Executive Chairman. “Loblaw is determined to think differently about how it sources seafood and to work in collaboration with the fishing industry and environmentalists to seek sustainable alternatives for customers.†The move has already been applauded by WWF-Canada and will address one of the company’s five pillars, ‘source with integrity’. The grocery giant’s new initiative is outlined in the Loblaw Sustainable Seafood Policy, which can be found online and applies to all canned, frozen, fresh, wild and farmed seafood products in all categories

• 1 year later...

more on the subject!

http://www.davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/eat-for-a-healthy-planet/suzukis-top-10-sustainable-seafood-picks/

Suzuki's Top 10 Sustainable Seafood Picks

It's not uncommon to hear David Suzuki say, I am fish. What he means is that humans aren't much different from the living, breathing species that come from the sea. This is a good thing to remember when choosing your food. Enjoying seafood sustainably means acknowledging the animal's unique role in nature, understanding how it got from the water to your plate, and managing how much of it we consume.

Our Top 10 sustainable seafood guide is a great place to start. It helps you find the best sustainable seafood available in your grocery store. This seafood is harvested in a way that protects surrounding sea creatures and the ecosystems they depend on. Plus, these species aren't overfished so we can continue to enjoy them for years to come.

Seafood on Suzuki's top 10 sustainable seafood list is:

1. Rated a "best choice" by SeaChoice, which means they are caught or grown in an environmentally sustainable manner that protects ocean and freshwater ecosystems.

2. Generally available in the Canadian seafood marketplace.

3. A good alternative to similar unsustainable products (e.g., closed containment farmed salmon vs. open net pen farmed salmon, harpoon-caught swordfish vs. longline swordfish).

4. Mostly from North America, which provides the majority of the available sustainable seafood products in Canada.

Choosing sustainable seafood is an easy and effective act of consumer power that helps protect our oceans, and sends a strong signal to government and industry leaders that they should do the same. When you do consume seafood, make the most of it by eating sustainably.

Sablefish

Ask for: Sablefish from the Canadian Pacific or Alaska that are trap and bottom longline caught.

Avoid: Trawl caught Sablefish or California, Oregon or Washington bottom longline caught. More »

Farmed Oysters

Ask for: Oysters farmed anywhere worldwide in a suspended culture system.

Avoid: Wild oysters that are caught by scallop dredge or tonging. More »

Spot Prawns

Ask for: Prawns caught in the Canadian Pacific by trap. Spot prawns are the largest shrimp species found in Canada's west coast. With a reddish brown shell, this fish is easy to distinguish with its distinctive white spots on its abdominal segments.

Avoid: Spot prawns caught in the U.S. or other species of prawns such as tiger prawns. More »

Sardines

Ask for: Sardines from Canadian and US Pacific that are purse seine caught.

Avoid: Sardines from Atlantic US caught by mid-water trawl or purse seine. More »

Albacore Tuna

Ask for: Albacore tuna from Canadian and US Pacific waters and caught by troll/pole. This migratory fish is caught at a young age in the cold north pacific waters of British Columbia.

Avoid: Albacore tuna caught by pelagic longline. More »

Farmed Salmon

Ask for: Farmed salmon raised with closed containment technology. After all the negative press farmed salmon has received over the years, it's great to see the emergence of more sustainable closed containment technologies — including those used to farm SweetSpring pacific coho salmon.

Avoid: Farmed salmon raised in open net pens. More »

Swordfish

Ask for: Swordfish from Canadian and US harpoon or handline caught swordfish (as opposed to longline).

Avoid: Swordfish harvested with unsustainable gear types like pelagic longline or harpoon/handline, from the Mediterranean, Indian Ocean, International Atlantic or International Pacific regions. More »

Farmed Clams

Ask for: Clams farmed worldwide, or wild soft shell clams from the US that are handraked. More »

Dungeness Crab

Ask for: Dungeness crab that is trap caught in Canada, California, Oregon and Washington.

Avoid: Dungeness crab that is trap caught in

Alaska or Atlantic Dungeness crab. More »

Pacific Cod

Ask for: Cod caught in Alaska by bottom longline, jig or trap.

Avoid: Cod from the Atlantic or Pacific waters, other than from Alaska. More »

i hear ya DB. i think it means it's sustainable for the fish, not necessarily for people!

i happen to have my little consumer reports health magazine here, and it said that in canned and pouched (?) tuna, of 42 samples, albacore had 6x more mercury than in the light tuna.

maybe that old saying about moderation applies? how does it go? ;)

Edited by Guest
bwa ha ha