Jambands.ca

sustainable seafood

meggo

I picked up some salmon at loblaws a couple of weeks ago and found that the price for their sustainable isn't that much higher than the other offerings.

I'm not sure why there are both though. If a company is going to adopt this strategy they should go all the way.

I picked up some salmon at loblaws a couple of weeks ago and found that the price for their sustainable isn't that much higher than the other offerings.

I'm not sure why there are both though. If a company is going to adopt this strategy they should go all the way.

note that sustainable doesn't always mean environmentally friendly or "green." farmed salmon threatens the existence of wild salmon. atlantic salmon is raised in the pacific and threatens pacific salmon as some escape and mess up the gene pool. As well, they are usually full of antibiotics. Personally, I always try to go for wild salmon and avoid all farmed salmon, including organic.

great point BWM - note what suzuki's guide says:

"Ask for: Farmed salmon raised with closed containment technology. After all the negative press farmed salmon has received over the years, it's great to see the emergence of more sustainable closed containment technologies — including those used to farm SweetSpring pacific coho salmon."

i'm not sure if there is still a big risk to the environment/wild salmon, but i'm hoping that if suzuki is endorsing it then it's all good. certainly the open-net pens were a half-baked idea!!!

There's a new fish monger in Hintonburg, on Wellington, near the Elmdale. Haven't been myself but I imagine they stock some of these sustainable fish and would be happy to point out what's what if asked. DB, you've been, no?

Thanks for the heads up. We went by there on the way home tonight, but they closed at 5pm. Ended up having to go to loblaws to get my Halibut (Fletan!) fix.