Jambands.ca

THS Cover Springsteens "Atlantic City"

Northern Wish

Craig does Bruce in the studio (finally!), stream it here:

http://spin.com/articles/exclusive-song-hold-steady-cover-springsteen

From the upcoming War Child Benefit compiliation (released on Feb 24) featuring artists playing songs from their heroes.

Heroes tracklist:

1. Beck (Bob Dylan - "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat")

2. The Kooks (The Kinks - "Victoria")

3. The Hold Steady (Bruce Springsteen - "Atlantic City")

4. Hot Chip (Joy Division - "Transmission")

5. Lily Allen feat. Mick Jones (The Clash - "Straight To Hell")

6. Yeah Yeah Yeahs (The Ramones - "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker")

7. Franz Ferdinand (Blondie - "Call Me")

8. Duffy (Paul McCartney - "Live And Let Die")

9. Estelle (Stevie Wonder - "Superstition")

10. Rufus Wainwright (Brian Wilson -" Wonderful & Song For Children")

11. Scissor Sisters (Roxy Music - "Do The Strand")

12. Peaches (Iggy Pop - "Search And Destroy")

13. Adam Cohen (Leonard Cohen - "Take This Waltz")

14. Elbow (U2 - "Running To Stand Still")

15. The Like (Elvis Costello - "You Belong To Me")

16. TV On The Radio (David Bowie - "Heroes")

It's not bad!!! The sole piano opener is chilling and I completely did not expect the full instrumentation and horns to just slap you in the face. This is a definitive cover and really adds to the myhtos of the song.

I've always been attached to Levon's version having seen it live a number of times and met him in that period. This version holds up big time.

I don't think it's bad, but just a bit too busy for my taste though. I just can't get into THS and to be honest I can't put my finger on a definite reason. I've seen them live and hanging out with Newrider I've heard their discs. I know I'm not big on the vocals, to me he seems to be shouting with a semi-talk/singing "punchy" tone in their songs. I dunno. I'm not trashing the band or anything, just saying how it comes across to me.

One of my favorite songs of all times. My dad took me to see the Band in Toronto at Convication hall when I was 14, there Jerico tour. They did a cover of Atlantic City.

I was at that show as well.

I even recorded the convacation hall show on a crappy recorder I had (no external mic type deal...lol), turned out so bad it wasn't worth keeping. It was the first show I ever recorded so in hindsight, I sorta wish I had kept it.

Sounds great!

One of my favorite songs of all times. My dad took me to see the Band in Toronto at Convication hall when I was 14, there Jerico tour. They did a cover of Atlantic City. Levon Helm did it at Merle Fest this summer too. Great tune.

Hey phunkyb, i was at that show too. It was really good and I totally remember them playing it. We were sitting upstairs in the balcony right by the bar (serving Upper Canada brews). Ended up sitting beside Bruce Cockburn and Colin Linden! Too bad we've lost Danko ... he had such a sweet voice :(