Jambands.ca

Cuba/Iraq/Quebec

Velvet

I enter a lot of contests, I always have, and I've won a few times too, but I've always wondered why Quebec residents are often inelegible. I just entered a contest today to win a guitar signed by Derek Trucks, and in the rules it said, "The Contest is not open to residents of Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Syria, North Korea, Myanmar (formerly Burma) Sudan, Puerto Rico or the province of Quebec."

Puts Quebec in suspicious company.

From

http://www.atv.ca/ottawa/5798_faq.aspx#quebec

Sometimes, contest availability is affected by Quebec law that dictates contests run in the province must be registered with the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux. Following the procedural steps imposed by the Régie requires a longer lead time, which we do not always have, and which our co-sponsors may be unwilling to extend. This may affect the decision about whether to make a contest available in the Quebec market, despite our efforts to make our national contests as inclusive as possible.

Aloha,

Brad

This is how I understand the rules for quebec. For a contest to be legally available in quebec, the contest host must guarantee a prize (protect entrants from fraud) by paying a certain percentage of the official prize value to the quebec gov't. There is some extra registration process so it's rarely ever in the interest of the contest offererer to go through this.