Jambands.ca

Grammys

AD

I'm not loving season 5 so far. I'm only a couple episodes in, but very meh. I'm not feeling the journalism angle.

I'm not sure what episode you're on but it gets really good with the McNaughlty(sp?), serial killer and reporter story line. Plus a certain sawed-off shotgun toter comes back to steal the show again.

It's good stuff.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

please welcome fuÇking horrible Kid Rock.

I thought Kid Rock was great! he's become quite the american entertainer...about halfway through his medley I said that I would love to see him live. Radiohead thumped some serious ass too.

Watched about four minutes of the Grammys and realised I was wasting my time even more than usual and turned it off.

Kid Rock was great when I saw him at Bluesfest. Kinda like seeing George Thorogood; if you can let your IQ slip down a few notches into lowest common denominator range you're in for a rockin' good time.

I found the night a mixed-bag performances wise. U2 were good, even Bono. It seems The Edge still can rock. Kid Rock put on a fairly good show and Coldplay were mid-tempo ok too. Radiohead was interesting. John Mayer and Keith Urban had no business being even near a stage let along sharing it with B.B. and Buddy. Some of the rap stuff was over-the-top and pretty awful and the Jonas Brothers proved that they are pure bubblegum chewers since they can't handle singing songs with substance; and their collaboration must be an all-time career low point for Stevie Wonder.

Jennifer Hudson's powerful and emotional voice lifted the average song she sang.

And did Alison's face look normal to you?

Guest Low Roller
At least Radiohead didnt have to compromise their artistic integrity in winning it.

just curious how being given an award compromises integrity? the art came before the award' date=' not vice versa.

[/quote']

Adding to that, it's interesting to note that Radiohead were expected to play 'House of Cards' because that's the song that was nominated for a couple of awards, but instead opted to play '15 Step'.

Plus Plant and Krauss winning is no big surprise. It's the middle age album of the year, don't forget Hancock's Joni Mitchell album won last year.

Clearly the 16,000 some odd voters are all or a large part fourty plus. Tha Carter III was likely the rightful winner at least in terms of dominating the zeitgeist.

Also loved seeing my boy Hova (Jay Z) loving the Neil Diamond. That was the moment for me. Flossing.

Guest Low Roller
Radiohead with the USC drum majors kicked ass. But am I the only one who could see only two members of Radiohead on stage. Maybe one of them was orchestrating the drummers, making it three but I didn't see their drummer either.

It was definitely only Thom and Jonny on stage. I have no idea if the other members were backstage or not.

Guest Low Roller
Amazing how Coldplay are (hopefully going to be) the new Milli Vanilli.

Do you mean that you think that they were lip synching or because they were wearing Sgt. Pepper-like jackets?

I thought they showed all of Radiohead in an audience shot for best album. Maybe it was just Thom and Jonny. Hard to imagine any other band pull that off. The half a band trick.

I can't see the Radiohead guys rehearsing that much, but the drumming was phenomenal and perfectly synched. Someone helped orchestrate that performance for sure.

they missed some people in the tribute section

leroi moore

lux interior

billy powell

also, zappa plays zappa won for best rock instrumental

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Encore" segment for the Grammy's similar to the Oscar's "In Memorium" segment? The Oscar memorium pays tribute to the year that was, so February 22nd's Oscar show will only pay trbute to those that died in 2008.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "Encore" segment for the Grammy's similar to the Oscar's "In Memorium" segment? The Oscar memorium pays tribute to the year that was, so February 22nd's Oscar show will only pay trbute to those that died in 2008.

I'm pretty sure you're right and that's how it works. Still, I will never forgive the Oscars for failing to remember John Candy the year that he died. Fuckers.

Amazing how Coldplay are (hopefully going to be) the new Milli Vanilli.

Do you mean that you think that they were lip synching or because they were wearing Sgt. Pepper-like jackets?

Perhaps the amount of backing tracks they used... which seemed to make up about 66% of that version of Viva la Vida. No matter what, it still seems like cheating to me.

Even the Boss' superbowl performance minus his vocals was prerecorded (earlier that day at least - and still 'off the floor', not a flawless orchestra backing track), to ensure a quality broadcast.

It's the grammys... why couldn't they have had string section?

Edited by Guest