Jambands.ca

Grammys

AD

The use of pre-recorded backing tracks has noticably been creeping into live performances in recent years. For example, My Morning Jacket uses pre-recorded vocals and synth-drum loops activated via their keyboard. I don't like it, but then again, many bands have done it for many years, most notably Queen using pre-recorded harmonies on "Bohemian Rhapsody" - watch the Montreal concert DVD.

I'll throw this one out there:

Although it's not the same as sampling and using pre-recorded tracks, but does it bother anyone when a band fleshes out their sound in concert by adding many extra musicians and backing vocals? Like, is it honest when you see The Stones, Pink Floyd or "The Who" on stage pounding out their hits with 15 session musicians helping them out or neatly hidden off-stage?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ha! :)

in fairness to Freddie I guess I should have mentioned that he only had to sing a third of the harmonies, so 60 parts. May did the low stuff and Taylor did all the high parts. Freddie was in the middle of all those parts. Deacon probably took that month off.

I'll throw this one out there:

Although it's not the same as sampling and using pre-recorded tracks, but does it bother anyone when a band fleshes out their sound in concert by adding many extra musicians and backing vocals? Like, is it honest when you see The Stones, Pink Floyd or "The Who" on stage pounding out their hits with 15 session musicians helping them out or neatly hidden off-stage?

Hehe... it doesn't bother me. Although, I might be biased seeming as I actually am an additonal stage musician.

To be honest, I would have rather seen Coldplay play that song as the four of them, without any strings at all if that's how it had to be, than have those backing tracks there.

That's supposed to be the difference between live and studio, right? It's ok to do that stuff on your album..... or is it?

Maybe when they're in the studio, recording endless overdubs, it'd smart to think of what's gonna happen live to those parts. I'd bet that those backing tracks are the exact tracks from their CD. Which just doesn't seem right somehow.

That's not what I like about live music... live is supposed to be the 3,4,5 or however many band members up there creating music. It'd be like seeing Led Zeppelin, and Jimmy page had backing tracks of the extra guitar tracks he'd done on the records. Yuck!

From Jambands.com:

Mickey Hart, The Flecktones, Robert Plant & Alison Krauss Win Big at the Grammys

Last night, the 51st annual Grammy Awards were held in Los Angeles. A number of artists regularly profiled on the site were honored throughout the night, including Robert Plant & Alison Krauss, who took home awards in the Record of the Year, Album of the Year and Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals categories. Likewise, Bela Fleck---who has won awards in more categories than any artist in Grammys history---continued his winning streak with a Best Pop Instrumental Album nod for the Flecktones’ Jingle All The Way, while Mickey Hart---who received the first World Music Grammy in the early 1990s---was awarded Best Contemporary World Music Album for the Global Drum Project’s most recent release.

Other familiar faces that walked home winners included: Kings Of Leon (Best Rock Performance by a Duo Or Group With Vocals), The Mars Volta (Best Hard Rock Performance), Zappa Plays Zappa (Best Rock Instrumental Performance), Chick Corea & Gary Burton (Best Jazz Instrumental Album, Individual or Group), The Blind Boys Of Alabama (Best Traditional Gospel Album), B.B. King (Best Traditional Blues Album), Dr. John And The Lower 911 (Best Contemporary Blues Album), Pete Seeger (Best Traditional Folk Album) and Burning Spear (Best Reggae Album). Also of note, MGMT, whose roots trace back to the Tennessee jamband Accidental Mersh, received a nod when Justice won the Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical for a remix of their hit “Electric Feel.â€

What's the difference between record of the year and album of the year?

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammy_Award_for_Record_of_the_Year

Record of the Year is not to be confused with Song of the Year or Album of the Year:

• Record of the Year is awarded for a single or for one track from an album. This award goes to the performing artist, the producer, recording engineer, and/or mixer for that song. In this sense, "record" means a recording of one song, not the composition or an album of songs. Often, the nominees and winners of this song represent the most successful songs of the year.
  • Song of the Year is also awarded for a single or individual track, but the recipient of this award is the songwriter who actually created the song in the first place. Thus, "song" in this context means the song as written, not its recording.
  • Album of the Year is awarded for a whole album, and the award is presented to the artist, producer, recording engineer, and mastering engineer for that album. So, in this context, "album" means a recorded collection of songs (a multi-track LP, CD, or download package), not the individual songs or their compositions.

Aloha,

Brad

Best instrumental album winner Bela Fleck was wearing a pirate hat (and a puffy shirt), but don’t tell him that. “The tri-cone? Well, this is a bit of a renaissance man (look). When I put the tri-cone on, that my thinking cap. You know I’m thinking deep thoughts.