Jambands.ca

8 people arrested over Phelps photos

Esau.

Not that I want to see anyone arrested over this. But, come on this isn't right.

Strong evidence? Like the photo(s) used to bust the other eight people...

Eight arrested in Michael Phelps case

Posted: Feb 9, 2009 03:52 PM EST

Updated: Feb 10, 2009 08:20 AM EST

COLUMBIA, SC (WIS) - New details have emerged about a party where Olympic champion Michael Phelps was spotted.

On Feb. 2, a British tabloid published a picture of the 14-time Olympic gold medalist using a water pipe to smoke marijuana. The picture was taken at a party in Columbia back in November when Phelps was here for a visit.

The Richland County Sheriff's Department has been taking a lot of heat from people in this country and all over the world.

They want to know why Sheriff Leon Lott is going after Michael Phelps.

Many are saying the sheriff should concentrate on more serious crimes, or at the very least, not focus solely on the Olympic champion when there were others at the party who were also breaking the law.

Now it appears the case has expanded beyond Phelps' activities.

The party took place in November at a house on Blossom Street near Five Points.

It was at that house where someone snapped the photo of Phelps taking a hit on a marijuana pipe called a bong.

Lott says the picture indicated a law was being broken in his jurisdiction. He said he couldn't ignore the violation just because Phelps is rich and famous.

We've now learned that since investigators began trying to build a case, they've made eight arrests: seven for drug possession and one for distribution. These are arrests that resulted as the sheriff's department served search warrants.

We've also learned that the department has located and confiscated that bong.

Sources say the owner of the bong was trying to sell it on eBay for as much as $100,000.

The owner, who wasn't even at the party, is one of the eight now charged.

Phelps is not one of those charged at this point, but the sheriff's department has strong evidence that matches the photo to the house on Blossom Street.

That house is in the city, but the Columbia Police Department decided not to initiate or take an active role in the investigation.

Governor Mark Sanford is also weighing in on the sheriff's actions.

On the FOX News Channel Sunday night, Geraldo Rivera asked Sanford whether Phelps should be prosecuted.

"I don't see what it gets at this point," said Sanford.

His spokesman told us Monday night Sanford is letting that quote stand.

http://www.foxcarolina.com/sports/18680862/detail.html

I guess I could have worded the thread title better since the photos were only the evidence required to get the warrant to search the home and the occupants were arrested after what they discovered in the home.

Although, its seems sorta strange the photos would be enough to get a warrant to search the home, yet are only being considered "strong evidence" in matching the home that Phelps was at. :crazy:

• 2 months later...

Well done, PT!!!

From Hidden Track:

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/phantasy-tour-takes-down-a-star-athlete/

When the now-famous picture of Olympic Champion Michael Phelps taking a Roor was published on News Of The World, a number of sites took the opportunity to link the swimmer to Phish. It turns out there’s more of a connection than anyone realized.

Dan Levy at On The DL researched how the photo ended up on News Of The World and his sleuthing uncovered a series of posts on the popular Phish message board Phantasy Tour describing the offending photo before it was published on January 31.

A PTer with the handle wswilli3 posted this entry in a thread about smoking with celebrities on January 9:

"My buddies took bomb rips with michael phelps last fall in Columbia, sc. One of them took a picture on his iPhone. His brother is a small time actor in LA, whose publicist said the pic was worth seven figures. Didn’t sell it bc of karma and didn’t want to be a rat. The kid will inherit WAY more than that so he doesn’t need it. If it was me, consider it sold."

Phish fans have long battled a reputation for being lazy stoners whose parents pay for everything and this story plays right into both of those stereotypes.

Can’t PTers turn their attention towards taking down someone who truly sucks instead of an incredible athlete who likes to take a bong rip? I’m thinking Ann Coulter. One of the columnist’s old Deadhead friends must have an incriminating picture of her fucking a horse or something.

Can’t PTers turn their attention towards taking down someone who truly sucks instead of an incredible athlete who likes to take a bong rip? I’m thinking Ann Coulter. One of the columnist’s old Deadhead friends must have an incriminating picture of her fucking a horse or something.

gold :)