Jambands.ca

Favre Retires.......Again.

TheSloth

Four years ago I would have missed Brett, now I am just hoping this shit is finally over.

He held Green Bay hostage for the past 3 years but I would have a lot to say if I were a Jets fan so instead we'll go with this for now.

Here are some of the consequences of the decision to bring Favre aboard:

The Jets went 9-7, failing to make the playoffs despite committing $140 million to free agents such as Alan Faneca, Damien Woody, Tony Richardson and Calvin Pace and trading for Kris Jenkins.

Favre led the NFL with 22 interceptions and had a 79.3 second-half passer rating.

He threw two touchdowns and nine interceptions in the final five games. The Jets were 1-4 in those games and needed a miracle defensive play to beat the Buffalo Bills.

The Jets released Chad Pennington to make room for Favre. Pennington led the Dolphins to the AFC East championship after a 1-15 season in 2007. The Dolphins beat the Jets at the Meadowlands to clinch.

The Jets' late-season collapse cost several people their jobs. They fired Eric Mangini the day after the season finale. Mangini landed with the Cleveland Browns.

Adhering to superstition, Mangini in October named his newborn son after Favre. Maybe Wite-Out has been applied to the birth certificate.

Favre learned he suffered a torn biceps during the season and was playing hurt.

Favre created tension in the Jets' locker room. Running back Thomas Jones publicly said Favre should have been benched for his poor play late in the season. Safety Kerry Rhodes noted he would like Favre to come back only if he committed himself in the offseason.

I don't really think going 13-3 in his last year with Green Bay and leading them to the NFC Conference championship and losing to the Super Bowl champs (where granted he put out the silk sheets that are saved for guests and shat the bed) qualifies as holding them hostage. From 2005-2007 he threw way to many int's but he still put up crazy yardage and started every game.

His departure wasn't pretty but christ watching MJ play baseball (so awesome) and then seeing him in a Wizzzzzz uniform wasn't pretty either. It's hard to walk away when it's all you've known for most of your life. This sure as fuck wasn't the first time it happened and it sure as fuck won't be the last.

Before his last playing year with Green Bay he kept flip flopping on whether or not he was going to retire, essentially holding them hostage because they didnt know how to proceed forward causing their hands to be tied. Statistically he had a pretty damn good regular season buuuuuuuuuuuuuut.....well, you said it.

Brett Favre aint no MJ and never will be. MJ with the Wizz was bizarre but he had the type of career that enabled him to do whatever thefuck he wanted. I honestly cant say the same for Brett Favre.

Yeah well that's not really 3 years then and it looks like he made the right decision. I'm still of the school of what's the issue with having a hard time trying to decide whether to retire or not.

It's a tough choice and I'm pretty sure what Favre gave the Packers at least gave him the right to struggle with it. My dad was a fucking civil servant and he had a hard time with the decision. I personally will not, let me out now!

MJ with the Wizz was bizarre but he had the type of career that enabled him to do whatever thefuck he wanted. I honestly cant say the same for Brett Favre.

But I think a lot of people would.

MJ and Favre were both megastars in their respective sports and both have substanstial career numbers so it's a valid comparison and they're the two most recent stars I can think of that came out of retire when they probably shouldn't have. I don't think there are too many people who wouldn't say there's only one MJ, no one is going to argue that.

Fair enough.

I guess my main problem is that I always felt Brett Favre was overhyped (not that I wouldnt have wanted him on the Raiders for those GB years) and his last few years seemed to bring that home.

I mean, his career numbers are all there but something has tasted bad for a long while. The nature of the NFL.

I think Favre coming back last year was selfish and tarnished his image. But he is an all time great there is no question, and in a sport that is probably the hardest to have any longevity in. Rarely do the storybook endings happen for any of the greats, MJ like you guys said, then think about Mario's injuries or Gretz in a Blues and/or Rangers uniform.

"Its better to burnout...than to fade away...."

• 2 months later...

That was a looooooooooong 3,2,1 but what can I say?

ESPN has an article today questioning Favre's decision for the NYJ to release him 2 days after they drafted Mark Sanchez. The timing is suspect, wouldnt you say?

The thinking here is that Favre shouldn't care who holds his rights if he has no interest in playing football anymore. After he basically demanded his release after the Jets selected USC quarterback Mark Sanchez in last weekend's draft, it's clear that Favre wants to keep his options open.

Legacy tarnished. Its that simple. Yesterday he said he was going to remain retired and now this:

The health of quarterback Brett Favre's throwing arm appears to be a pivotal factor in whether he comes out of retirement to play for the Minnesota Vikings.

A source close to the situation told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap on Friday that X-rays of Favre's right shoulder -- he has pain resulting from a torn biceps tendon -- have been sent to the Vikings and that the X-rays are in the process of being evaluated. If it is determined by Favre's and the Vikings' medical people that he needs anything less than "major" surgery on his shoulder, Favre will unretire to play for the Vikings, the source said.

He's a fuckingidiot. Confirmed. Its also safe to assume based on that report he already knows he needs major surgery.