Steve Marriner

NewWorldSon

Bob Taillefer

Sugar Blue

Jeff Beck

That1Guy

United Steelworkers Of Montreal

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or does 90% of this rumoured lineup completely pale in comparison to every other year post-when it was a real blues festival? I haven't looked at the list today but from what I remember seeing in the list on this thread 2-3 weeks ago, Paul Simon was the only really amazing one for me, with KISS being one of those "I'll go if I've paid for it and will have a blast, but otherwise wouldn't be going". Usually Ottawa Bluesfest is completely stacked.

I am with you KevO. Your moving here jinxed the lineup. Thanks alot.

Haha, well this doesn't completely make up for it but at least we've got BA Johnston this Saturday at Irene's!

Bluesfest lineup comes out next week right? That will be interesting. Maybe their funding got cut..?

Cake is a good'un too. And Harry Manx.

Is it just me or does 90% of this rumoured lineup completely pale in comparison to every other year post-when it was a real blues festival? I haven't looked at the list today but from what I remember seeing in the list on this thread 2-3 weeks ago, Paul Simon was the only really amazing one for me, with KISS being one of those "I'll go if I've paid for it and will have a blast, but otherwise wouldn't be going". Usually Ottawa Bluesfest is completely stacked.

Ahhh, Kevo...

The first headliner of the first Ottawa Bluesfest was Clarence Clemons. Now I ask you, when was this ever a real blues festival?

The lineup gets announced next week, on Wednesday, April 22nd. Save the booing for then, and I suspect you shant boo too long.

The reason the rumours here haven't really excited you is because almost nothing in this thread is a rumour - they are almost all listed somewhere as playing at the Bluesfest. The major acts know to not list unannounced shows on their websites.

Wanna get excited? Here's some acts I've heard rumoured to play Bluesfest: Paul McCartney, AC/DC, Beastie Boys, Paul Simon, Joe Cocker, Iggy Pop, B-52s...

But it's kinda silly to get excited about rumours ain't it?

Now I ask you, when was this ever a real blues festival?

1997 at Confederation Park in my opinion. Heres the list I postd on page one from that year.

Little Feat

Luther Allison

Dr.John

James Cotton

Roomful Of Blues

Montreal Jubilation Gospel Choir

Little George & The Shuffling Hungarians

Lucky Peterson

Junior Wells

Suzie Vinnick

Deborah Coleman

Jumping Johnny Sansone

Long John Hunter

Tony D

Guitar Shorty

Rocket Rached & The Fat City 8

Anson Funderburgh & The Rockets feat: Sam Myers

Sherman Robertson

Plus more, over the 3 days.

Betcha one could highlight acts in the 'plus more' section to argue that it isn't really a blues festival.

Actually, the plus more was mostly local and other Canadian blues artists, either not signed or not "big name" acts (eg: bar type bands), none of which played the main stage (only stage) and were showcased in various clubs around town, I'll see if I can dig out the program I have packed away and get em listed for you. The above list was just off the back of the tee-shirt I have.

Personally, I feel if 95% of the acts (or 100% of the main stage acts) are blues it's a blues festival. Then again, I'm not that nit-picky about that shit, 95% is more then good for me. It was also the 'Ottawa Citizen Bluefest' back then. I also recall seeing a large number of Ottawa Blues Society ads around.

I'll happily concede the point. I also now recall that it was when Sting headlined that people started complaining that it wasn't a blues festival anymore, so I suppose that indicates it was previously.

I sure am glad it's not a blues festival!