Jambands.ca

Wayne Coyne hates Arcade Fire

skelter

We just had a guitar tech for the first part of this tour we're on who turns out to be a major heavyweight in the industry. He's teched for Lou Reed, Slayer (for 6 years!), Norah Jones, Hanson, Jonas Brothers, John Lee Hooker, and countless others. So we've been getting stories out of him, and we find out he's teched for Arcade Fire. So we of course ask if they were dicks, and if he'd heard about what Wayne Coyne said. He says "Oh... you mean at Bonnaroo? There were some stage issues there..." but the band was nice and good to their crew too. Ad he said Wayne Coyne is also one of the sweetest guys he's ever met, and can't imagine him actually bad mouthing someone. Interesting to hear it from the 'inside'.

Oh yeah, Ersh - Since you're the rock star here I was wondering if you could tell me what these things are. I saw the Arcade Fire play two big outdoor shows on the Neon Bible tour and these were sitting sidestage on both sides, 3 or 4 on each side, during their set. I haven't seen any other band use anything like this.

Any idea what they're for? I guess they look like antennae - maybe for wireless guitar packs or something? A little big and bulky for that though....

DSCN1407.jpg

We actually have those on the stage for these Buckcherry shows. They're used to block out signals that interfere with wireless devices, such as wireless guitar rigs and in-ear monitor systems. I'm not sure what they're called... but I know they make a huge difference in cutting out strange radio stations from showing up in your signal.

I didn`t think they`d played Bonnaroo either... oh well.

Ersh/AD - those are Shure helical antennas for wireless. Could be used for in-ear monitors or wireless mics/instruments. They don't actually block any other signals, but they are usually bandwidth-limited and VERY directional so they are much less susceptible to interference....With DTV creeping in on the 'white space' occupied by entertainment wireless and more and more channels being used onstage at one time, they are more and more common...

Oh and good to hear this was just gossip without content...i like both bands!

Wayne Coyne is a total gentleman and a friendly partier. I had the good fortune of 'performing' on stage with the Lips at Berkfest 2003. Coyne approached me in the VIP lots about getting Homer Simpson up on stage with their stuffed animal show. Naturally I obliged and boogie my ass off in that suit for a full hour while images of all description freaked the crowd out.

Afterwards he took me back to their RV/ tour bus and proceeded to get me wasted (more) on Grey Goose and hash while talking about anything. He was totally engrossing to listen to, quite obviously well read and informed.

If it weren't for The Slip late night in the lodge I might have just stayed there all night. I said farewell to Wayne in the RV after about two hours and trekked up to the lodge with the big pink bunny from their crew!

Oh what a night,

S

The entire fucking premise of Arcade Fire is pompousness. They're ridiculously ponzi preening art school types that might best be described as faggotish.

...And Win Butler is INCREDIBLY pompous in person, which by its very essence means he has no insight into that whatsoever. I'm sure they get scores of sunshine blown up their ass and went from being awkward indie musicians to world class premadonnas with little time to transition a working personality. Did I mention I hate that fucking band and everything they stand for and good on Wayne Coyne for calling them out. Seriously though Wayne would know the guy has an almost zen like humility about him and certainly must know how to judge a personality, I have no doubt about what he says about Beck negatively or positively about the Edge or JT either. Good on him.

i have no idea where i stand on this issue, but i did find your post very entertaining!

Very regrettable back pedalling by Wayne. Sort of jibes with what Heisholt heard from the guitar tech though.

Wayne Coyne apologizes to Arcade Fire

Flaming Lips frontman Wayne Coyne has apologized after calling Montreal indie-rockers Arcade Fire "pompous."

"I really feel bad about it," Coyne said in an interview posted on Entertainment Weekly's website. "I like enough of their music. The idea that I'm somehow against them . . . I'm not!" That statement stands in stark contrast to the comments he made in an obscenity-laced March interview with Rolling Stone.

"I'm a fan of them on one level, but on another level I get really tired of their pompousness," Coyne said at the time.

He also accused Arcade Fire of treating their crew and fans like crap - though he used a different four-letter word.

"I thought, 'Who do they think they are?' I don't know why people put up with it," Coyne said. "I wouldn't put up with it. I don't care if it's Arcade Fire or Brian Eno."

Now, Coyne says he regrets what he said.

"I wish that had never happened," he told Entertainment Weekly. "I didn't necessarily mean it about the people in the Arcade Fire. I meant it about the guys that were running their stages at a couple of festivals.

"I wish whatever had been said wouldn't have been taken as such a defiant statement from the Flaming Lips, because it wasn't."

At the time, Arcade Fire frontman Win Butler responded in a blog post, saying that Coyne "doesn't even know us."

"The only time we have ever shared a stage with the Flaming Lips was our last show on the 'Funeral' tour at a festival in Las Vegas (over three years ago)," Butler wrote.

"I can't imagine a reason why we would have been pompous towards the Flaming Lips, a band we have always loved, on that particular night, all those years ago."

Do you hate them because you perceive them as over-hyped, or because you don't like their music?

I don't enjoy their music at all or the hype they receive from every hipster press rag falling all over themselves to praise them.

Average at best, just really boring.

Just one man's opinion though.

I don't understand much of the praise heaped on many bands by hipster press rags. Probably cause there is lots of music out there and I can't like everything.

I do like Arcade Fire a lot though. I also like Flaming Lips a lot. In fact, 2 of the more interesting shows for me were my first Arcade Fire show and first (and only) Flaming Lips show. fuckin mindblowing.