Jambands.ca

QOTD: Favourite Phish Moment

Schwa.

I know there are TONS of us that weren't able to get to Phish this weekend and it has had me thinking about all of my memories of seeing them.

My favourite Phish moment was the feeling i had walking out of The Crown Arena in Cincinnati in '98. That's when i "got it". I'll never be able to get that sense of realization out of my head. I then started singing the theme song to WKRP and about 15 people started singing along with me while we were walking back to the car. Everyone had HUGE smiles on their faces.

Let Chapter 2 begin :D

Lemonwheel 98: Rain stopped, dark clouds separated and they played Divided Sky. "Got it" moment!

Also standing on the lawn at Alpine Valley 99 when the second song of the set on a hot sunny day was a 30min Fluffhead. Everyone in the vicinity of that area code was partyin!!

Trey running around the stage with his guitar during BBFCFM at the Rochester War Memorial in 1997 with crazy strobe lights messing with our minds. I kept laughing thinking he was quoting Kelsey Grammer from a particular epside of Cheers

"I am running with scissors!"

That one memory is deliciously weird and always pops up with this type of question.

1st: 12/30/99-01/01/00 (That's a long moment, but in the scheme of things still a moment)

2nd: 07/14/00 - Polaris Amp., Columbus I

During the first song (Sample) an insanely large, green, alien like cloud made it's way over the amphitheater forcing Phish to retreat backstage. It rained super heavy for 10 minutes flooding all the aisles turning them into raging rivers. Phish then came back out and raged:

PYITE

Timber

Jibboo

Boogie on

Stash

Bouncing>FOAM

Loved it.

hard to nail it down to 1 moment, but heres a few

-first row, toronto in 2001? the 2nd time they played there. held that railing for the whole first set, which was just under 2hrs.

- hearing Bowie in Cinci with my good buddy sanislo, going for a cheers and spilling beer all over the guys in front of us. lol, maybe thats more of a wookie moment

- buying a scalper ticket outside the arena, i go inside, figure ill check the seat before i go to friends seats, only to find the seat i bought is directly in front of my buddies! same seat #, one row ahead! coincidence?

1) Around 5:30 am at Big Cypress during Piper, getting back up off the ground, pleading to my crew to tap that last tank of energy and then seeing Scottie King emerge out of the crowd in front of me, hand in the air, grinning like only he can, running towards us, the whole group got up and danced like it was first set all over again

2) Whipping Post- 7.25.99, never seen tungsten that into it before or since

Not sure which takes the cake, but so glad to have experienced what I did with both of those fellas.....

Sean

[color:orange]"We're bobbing on the surface..."

Although there are endless highlights in any one show, here's one that stands out in my memory.

08-15-98 Loring Air Force Base, Limestone, ME

Set 2: The Wedge > Reba, Gumbo > Sanity, Tweezer > The Horse > Silent In The Morning, Chalkdust Torture, Slave to the Traffic Light

We'd been on tour in Summer 98 from Coloumbus OH through Lemonwheel (11 shows, skipped Alpine). Over the course of thoes couple of weeks we created a great bond between friends and the coumunity while trecking around in our 71 VW bus. Lemonwheel was a culmination of friends gathering with more than 20 in our sprawled out camp.

After a heady Friday night disco party and a wonderfull afternoon set on Saturday, I split from the crew to explore. Thoes big festivals are such a trip, with the lot and the food and the vibe. I ended up in the common checking out the chainsaw wood art when I bumped into another explorer. We started talking about the art and our conversation just rambled, covering family, social responsabilaty, music, philosophy, etc. As we continued talking through a dinner of raw food, the combination of fuel, setting and openness just sent me soaring. Our conversation came to a natural end just as the opening notes of The Wedge played. I literally flew (arms flaping, running in big looping circles) barefoot through security and the back of the concert grounds, carried on a spiritual energy that stayed with me for the remainder of the day (segwaying into a sick Reba didn't hurt either).

Hooked up with my crew and danced my heart out. :)

I've had many transidental moments with Phish, but that one stands out as particulary magical.

300px-Lemonwheel_.jpg

My favourite Phish moment was seeing Velvet intentionally fall to the ground, because he truly thought the band was playing a "word" from their (short-lived) secret language that told him to do so. (He was the only person in the crowd who heard the "word", though.) I think it was somewhere in New York in around 94. He'd probably know where and when.

Having read this thread, though, I guess I have two. I agree with Basher about sunrise at Big Cypress.

There are way too many to mention so I'll jump on the sunrise at Big Cypress train. I'd like to give an honorable mention to the burning of the art tower between an amazing 2001 and Hood at The Great Went. I was pretty far back in the field and it put everything into grand proportion for me.

And I'd be doing an injustice if I didn't mention the Ghost from Radio City and the Mike's Song from the PNC, Jersey, Summer 2000 when the gazebo turned into a UFO left and came back.

I gotta point to a Big Cypress moment as well. The culmination of that whole experience for me was when the band just SLAMMED into the After Midnight Reprise, bringing full circle the promise they had made at the end of the first set (the previous day!) to "let it all hang out". The audience - some now starting to wane, perhaps - got an electric jolt through them. It was an absolute body rush, a totally thrilling moment to be part of. It was probably about four hours into the overnight set by then.

Big Cypress was an absolutely amazing experience.

the whole cypress thing is my favourite phish moment

i really liked the absurdity of baby elephant walk at lemonwheel. i almost gone run over by the elephant.

as far as recorded moments, the Gin from the Went.

And pretty much whatever Mike does is a favourite thing of mine.