Jambands.ca

bad banner ad

killatokes

not sure if anyone else is having this problem; but this "Andre Rieu" (sp) banner ad is driving me crazy.i have noticed pages loading in the sanctuary being significantly slowed (and sometimes freezing)if this ad is at the top of the page. }:( am i the only one having this issue? if not; who can fix this problem?

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

not trying to be a complainer, but it seems that the originally stated problem is becoming an issue again(for me). again, not sure if it's just me but all the flash in the banner ads are making the site very difficult (read:slow) to navigate. i'm not sure what to do...i know it costs $$$ to keep the site up and running, and i wish to support it but the slowness/freezing is making the site very frustrating for me. i will install ad block for now but i'm hoping there might be another solution so i can keep supporting the site.

time for another benefit show!!!! i'd pay extra at the door to help keep our load speeds up.

edit to add: while poking around for the adblock addon i came across this article:

http://adblockplus.org/blog/mozilla-hurting-google-by-recommending-adblock-plus

in it they say:

Finally there is one important point I didn’t see addressed in the AdSense FAQ: you should always try to serve all content from your own server, including ads. Even if you are a member of an advertising network, you should download and cache ads on the server side so that the user doesn’t have to do it. For the user it has the advantage that it speeds up page load times considerably, having to contact several servers (and especially do multiple DNS lookups) might be a major reason your site is perceived as slow. That’s also the reason why I tend to block all external visitor counters — they are a waste of my time, and webmasters who can’t analyze their own web server logs probably don’t really need the data anyway. I should also note that everything your site loads from external sources (especially scripts) is a privacy concern, something you eliminate as well by serving ads from your server. And there is one advantage for you: ads from your server have a different address so that they are not automatically blocked by general rules. That won’t stop users from blocking them if they turn out to be annoying but you get your chance.

don't know if this might be part of the issue...

This started for me yesterday actually, sometime in the late afternoon. I thought it was a problem on my end, so last night (and even this morning) I cleaned up my computer, blocked all ads and its still loading extremely slow. Normally this site runs really fast for me, usually faster then most sites I visit, with or without ADs blocked.

To be honest, and I'm sure I'll be chastised severely for saying this, but since the twitter box was added the site has been rather messed up for me, very slow loading and at times just hanging to the point that I have to crtl+alt+delete my way out of it.

I dunno if that is the cause or not, but thats my observation.

To be honest, and I'm sure I'll be chastised severely for saying this, but since the twitter box was added the site has been rather messed up for me, very slow loading and at times just hanging to the point that I have to crtl+alt+delete my way out of it.

I dunno if that is the cause or not, but thats my observation.

I don't know why you would be chastised Greg, that sounds like helpful feedback to me!

I am in the same boat. I am wasting even more time at work than usual.

;)

Yeah, seems to be workin as normal now, I had some errors show up (no forum type deal), closed the page and opened a new one and all is good.

[edit to add]

Cheers bouche, thanks for all the hard work you do keeping this site goin, its appreciated.

Edited by Guest

Here's an unexpected response :

"We're still monitoring to make sure we got it but it appears it was a DNS resolver. The resolver is up but it seems it stopped taking requests from this particular server."

So it doesn't look like I did anything wrong afterall.