Jambands.ca

2 weeks tobacco free

Basher

Well, I feel it is time to celebrate a little milestone. After the Raptors game on Feb 23rd I smoked my last cigarette. I had started Champix 12 days prior to that, and it certainly is working for me.

I have a lot of extra cash in my pocket, and I feel pretty good.

A world of encouragement and congratulations to you. I am approaching six months tobacco free and I can't say enough what a life improvement it is. Just this weekend I said out loud at least three times, "Wow, I'm glad I don't smoke anymore!"

From someone who has quit and restarted lots of times, allow me to share with you why I have succeeded this time (I went cold turkey - no substitutes):

I have a postcard of two clean and healthy lungs that an artist friend painted and mailed to me from a previous quitting episode. About two or three days into quitting this time I was in the throes of the worst part of quitting and I picked up the postcard and read the back. It was full of encouraging words congratulating me on making it however many weeks without smoking. I looked at the date and saw it was sent ten years ago.

So that means I had gone through this bullshit a decade previously, had pretty much had the monster beat, and something made me have a cigarette. Of course I don't remember that first cigarette, so it couldn't have been that wonderful. Doing the math, I figured that since that cigarette that restarted me smoking, I had smoked about 90,000 more cigarettes and spent about $30,000 on them in the process.

So the few times I get tempted (and don't be fooled - restarting months into a successful quit is very very common) I just think about the fact that one smoke will cost me at least $30,000 more dollars, and there's no way a cheap bastard like me can bring myself to give in.

Again good luck to you Basher, and to all that try and quit the nastiest of habits.

Joni (of KW fame) has quit recently as well. Happy to hear it Basherman :)

Yup! It's been just over 2 weeks for me and I'm feeling great. Timouse burned me a copy of Allan Carr's Easy Way To Quit Smoking. I wasn't really ready to quit. (I LOVED smoking!) I listened to half the disc and let his ideas sorta just sit with me for a couple weeks before I listened to the rest of the disc. I finished the disc and just never thought of smoking again.

I've smoked for over 20 years and have stopped a few times with weeks of serious cravings. This time it was really kinda spooky how little effort it required.

Congrats Basher! If you're finding it tough to keep those flaming sticks outta your face you might wanna pick up Allan Carr's book. :)

Hugs & Smiles to you!

I highly recommend Allen Carr's book too. Even if you got it beat, drop the $20 and read it. Quitting smoking is the most important thing you'll ever do, and you need all the ammo you can get to fight it even (especially) if you think you got it beat. Allen Carr guy really had it all figured out. No substitutes, no bad days, no cravings, and all from a short poorly-written book.

Really, I can't recommend the book enough. I've bought copies for at least four people.

Way to go man, I'm hope to do the same, 20+ years here myself and I've reached a point where I'm finding myself not enjoying them all the time but still lighting up only to butt out after a few drags...Champix was a suggestion a friend gave me as I've never been succesful quiting cold turkey, so next doctors appointment I'm goin be finding out if its cool for me to get that stuff.

Having cancer (spinal ependymoma) didn't make me quit completely and that was ten years back when I was first diagnosed, its a brutal habit I'm hoping to lose.

Anyway, cheers to you & good luck for the future.

Champix is actually a little scary, when you read about all the possible side effects. Make sure your doctor knows what he/she is talking about with this stuff. And let me also say, the "minor" side effects that I continue to experience have not been pleasant. But, I think it is worth it.

Champix is actually a little scary, when you read about all the possible side effects. Make sure your doctor knows what he/she is talking about with this stuff. And let me also say, the "minor" side effects that I continue to experience have not been pleasant. But, I think it is worth it.

Thanks for the info. I have read up (online) on some of it but am waiting to talk to both my doctors about it - seeing as I also take some other meds I want to be clear its not goin give me serious issues or react badly with my other meds.

ummm...I've never heard of Champix. What kinda side effects are we talkin' about?