Jambands.ca

U2 - 360 Tour 2009

Kanada Kev

Bottom line' date=' U2 is still popular, but nowhere near as popular as they used to be.[/quote']

I respectfully don't agree with you there. Regardless of current album sales(which are still very large), even the people, like myself, whose favourite album is The Unforgettable Fire, which was released 25 years ago, would love to see this show.

Agreed. Same boat as you.

Current sales of an album are not indicative of quick concert ticket sales. They have cemented themselves as a worthy draw and that people are more often satisfied with their concert dollars spent, than not when it comes to U2.

However, i do also agree that there is manipulation and hype generated to a large degree. You gotta make people want to buy NOW not later. They did this by "leaking" the album ahead of time, spending a week in NYC doing talk shows and appearances, etc.

Take a look at eBay and any ticket reselling service. They are flooded with U2 tickets now. So tons of people scooped 'em up. I'm sure a lot more tickets are purchased in order to resell than at a regular concert too. Promoters and TB/LN all get their cash quick and six months early based on the demand right now. As the hype wanes a little demand will go down, scalper prices will drop, promotions to fill empty sections that have been held back will appear, and i'm sure there will be deals to be had on tickets.

I'm glad I got my order in and will be on the floor at a reasonable price for the show we'll be getting.

Edited by Guest

Bottom line' date=' U2 is still popular, but nowhere near as popular as they used to be.[/quote']

I respectfully don't agree with you there. Regardless of current album sales(which are still very large), even the people, like myself, whose favourite album is The Unforgettable Fire, which was released 25 years ago, would love to see this show.

of course you would like to see the show but would you actually pay $280 to see it? do you think 20,000 people in Toronto actually paid $280 yesterday to see this show?

Even if only 10,000 bought them (and there are more than enough people around here willing to spend that) the other 10,000 would have been scooped by brokers/scalpers. They'll take the risk on being able to turn a profit on sales that would exceed that price-point. In the end, U2 and the promoters made their sales. What happens to the tix after that they don't care. The secondary market takes over and a new game begins (speculating when/if they will dip to an affordable level for you).

Even if only 10,000 bought them (and there are more than enough people around here willing to spend that) the other 10,000 would have been scooped by brokers/scalpers. They'll take the risk on being able to turn a profit on sales that would exceed that price-point. In the end, U2 and the promoters made their sales. What happens to the tix after that they don't care. The secondary market takes over and a new game begins (speculating when/if they will dip to an affordable level for you).

That's the point phishtaper is trying to make (I think).

But I don't believe for a minute that there are that many people willing to spend that much for these shows. Ticketbastard/LiveNation has obviously manipulated tickets sales. (The tour is produced by LiveNation.) They bought their own tickets to create these "sold out shows".

My point is that I don't think this case is abnormal or that ticket sales have been manipulated more than usual.

of course you would like to see the show but would you actually pay $280 to see it? do you think 20,000 people in Toronto actually paid $280 yesterday to see this show?

Truthfully, no, I would not pay $280, but I would have no problem paying $100 for what I know will be world class, pinnacle of technology, production.

I understand your anger, phishtaper, don't get me wrong!

:D oh, believe me, im not angry. far from it. i'm just amused that all of the shows "sold out".

fwiw, have a look on ebay. the high price tix are not selling and those that are, are going for not much above face. people are not paying much for secondary tix the day after onsale, which implies they werent going nuts buying them the day of.

yes, there is always some manipulation involved in all tix releases, I was just trying to comment on how blatant it was this time.

But I don't believe for a minute that there are that many people willing to spend that much for these shows. Ticketbastard/LiveNation has obviously manipulated tickets sales. (The tour is produced by LiveNation.) They bought their own tickets to create these "sold out shows". They have now created the media image that this is the hottest tour ever. Time will show that it isn't. Throughout the summer, people will begin to receive special offers to see U2 at these "sold out shows" and be able to buy the tickets that Livenation took off the market yesterday.

This would be the paragraph in question, IMO.

"Ticketmaster has...."

"They bought their own..."

"Time will show..."

"People will begin..."

These are all statements. I don't understand the "argument" part.

Edited by Guest