Jambands.ca

M. Ward - Phoenix Concert Theatre, Mon 04/27/09

bONES

Hit it.

We saw him open for Norah Jones and it was a KILLER 45 minute set. Mellow/ballad shit done perfectly. Solo.

It was goddamn beautiful. In my mind it blew Norah's show away. That aint easy to do.

I cant imagine how different a band behind him would sound but I know one thing. It will be wicked. M Ward's sense of melody is as strong as the best of the 50's.

This is going to be a wicked show.

one of my favorites over the last several years. first caught him opening for Lou Barlow and Folk Implosion in Australia in 2002 I think. There were like 10 people there for his set, but it was riveting. Been a convert ever since. Hold Time is quite good. Not his best but a good listen.

Sweet - He's also playing Le National in Montreal 04/28/09. I'll be there. M.Ward is one of my favorite performers. Last time I saw him, Rachel Blumberg (former drummer for the decemberists/jolie holland/norfolk and western) was one the musicians playing with him. I hope she's touring with him again.

• 1 month later...

It was a good show. I was expecting it to be a hit or miss event as I wasn't too familiar with Ward's music so I was pleasantly surprised. The show was a little on the short side for the money but I guess that's a trend around here. And, again, why won't anyone dance? Seriously, it's got to be awkward for the performers...

bbt.jpg

Billy Bob wants you to dance...