Jambands.ca

CBC layoffs, cuts, downsizing, selloffs :(

Kanada Kev

"Good call voting NDP and Green hippies."

Whatever, Huxxy - if the Libs were the real answer for Canadian Media we'd be in a far different position now from smarter decisions and better past funding.

If you're going to turn this into a political discussion, then discuss how we can improve it on a more local scale and also demand more from our Conservative reps.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hope they leave Radio 3 alone
I know a great many of you have been following CBC’s financial difficulties closely and have been concerned about the effect on CBC Radio 3. Today' date=' everyone at Radio 3 found out that, contrary to previous reports, we are NOT being sold and we are NOT being shut down.

However, like the rest of the company, we are undertaking a significant cut to our budget next year. There are two primary impacts for us, one of which will be felt strongly and the other of which many of you may not notice.

The first impact is that CBC Radio 3 will be recording significantly less live music in the coming year. Our recording budget is being merged with the recording budget of CBC Radio 2, which in turn has been reduced by 50%. We will still be recording musicians from across the country, but how much we can do and whether those recordings will be live concerts or studio sessions we don’t yet know.

I will be working with CBC Radio’s head of music, Mark Steinmetz, in the coming weeks to create a new live music strategy between Radio 2 and Radio 3. This is very painful – I know how much all of you appreciate our live recordings and I also know how much it means to the many amazing Canadian musicians we record every year.

The second impact is related to our radio stations. Many of you may not know this, but CBC Radio 3’s Sirius satellite radio station (channel 86) broadcasts a separate and often distinct set of programming from the streaming radio station on our website. Yes, some of our programs are simulcast on both, but many are not. Moving forward, we will have the exact same programming on both Sirius and web radio.

Very sadly for all of us here, this will very likely mean an impact on our staff. We won’t know what that impact will be until mid-May at the earliest, as it depends on a number of factors such as the internal take-up on a voluntary retirement incentive plan and discussions with our union colleagues about how to minimize staff reductions.

This is a bad day for CBC Radio 3. There is no doubt about it. However, it could have been much worse and for that I think we are all thankful. We are moving forward with a very strong radio station, a brand new version of the website coming within a couple months, and a powerful, passionate community of artists and music fans. Despite today’s bad news, I’m personally very confident that Radio 3 will continue to grow and prosper in the future and that impact of the cuts to our budget has been minimized at best as humanly possible.

I would personally like to thank each and every one of you who raised awareness online about the risks to Radio 3 since the infamous ‘unload Radio 3’ quote was seen in the media. Your support and the visibility of that support was heard loudly inside the company and I hope was a factor in making today’s news considerably less than it might have been otherwise.

Steve Pratt

Director, CBC Radio 3[/quote']

FUCK

If anyone wants to see how Harper's Heritage Minister responded to some questions yesterday on CBC News check out this video. Comical, yet irritating;

http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/vsu/wmv-hi/moore-intvu-090326.wmv

And here's one of the slimeballs at the top of the corp who will be receiving bonus money for all his "fantastic" decision making around here (he's reviled almost unanimously at the CBC)

http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/vsu/wmv-hi/stursberg-intvu-090326.wmv

FUCK

?? i read that article as good news' date=' keeping in mind what the possibilities were... did you want CBC to shut R3 down?

[/quote']

Yeah your right, I guess its good news. Im just soo soo sad the the R3 is cutting the live sessions and recording, which imo, is THE best part about them.

Also R3 is like my favoritisteque thing about CBC.