Jambands.ca

Sadowsky v. Fender

SaggyBalls

your bass and gear choices make me smile.

I have been playing through an eden rig now too.. very modern sounding.. which is exactly what I have been going for.

I lust after an old svt though... I feel they charge way too much for them unfortunately.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Mark, the thing is, there isn't any of these lower-priced good quality made basses out there cause bassist are paying these set high prices for them; why would "makers" lower them?

Roger Sadowsky was never really a guitar or bass MAKER but a highly skilled and respected repairman. When he started "making", he tried using the help of Dana Bourgeois and they couldn't figure it out...so he searched and searched for someone to do it right and he ended up in Japan. Likewise, Dan Lakin was never a MAKER either but a guy who fixed up broken old basses and would re-sell them. The guy down the road from him did a nice re-fret and together they took some measurements of basses they've liked over the years and had someone make them a bass and off they went to NAMM...

What is easier is pointing you to the direction of someone making an instrument entirely by hand that is on a price comparison of the cookie-cutter American Lakin...

I expect in about 4 months the first 6 solid body basses and guitars will be available from my company. Although we are building these for our first group of endorsed players, the same appointments will be available to the public:

-AAA solid S-Ash or Alder bodies (2 pieces)

-AAA veneered body tops (flamed or quilted maple)

-AAA Birdseye maple necks

-Highest grade Ebony for the non maple fingerboards

-Custom made Lindy Fralin pick-ups

-Various bridge options (hip-shot, badass etc etc)

-Various tuner options

-Hard-shell case

-$1750+taxes = under $2000 Canadian

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D

will you endorse me? haha.

no but seriously, if they turn out good, I may be interested in buying one in about a year.

I was always under the impression that american laklands are all handmade.

Edited by Guest

I lust after an old svt though... I feel they charge way too much for them unfortunately.

LOL(I love that you used the word "lust")! Me too, the thing is its a friend of mine (who has been THE bass player on PEI as long as I can remember) who is selling the SVT, he will charge me a fair price and I want to "keep it in the family" so to speak. I figure I have a classic bass I will have for life, I might as well have a classic amp. And I have played through it before, there really is nothing....NOTHING.....comparable, I don't give a shit what any of the audiophile boutique nerds say. ;)

Edited by Guest

As we're just starting out, we've taken the time to hand select our endorsed players and we've been very lucky to have had nothing but positive feedback and all folks on board for a co-operative effort to get these players the instrument they always wanted...with some stipulations, we may be looking into more players to endorse in the future...

As for the U.S Lakland's, this is directly from the website:

Lakland US basses - and all their components - are made in the US. ""Bodies and necks are cut by machine"", but everything else is done by hand, including fretting.

This is what makes me scratch my head about players buying the U.S made instruments...according to Lakland's website, the U.S & skyline bodies and neck are identical but one is cut on a CNC machine in America and the other in Japan...is a U.S CNC machine more accurate than a Japanese CNC machine? So much so that the instrument "made" in the U.S is more than double that of the Japanese made?

There are many factors that result in a poorer quality instrument coming from overseas, but I am not of the opinion that it is because they are "in general" lesser skilled craftspersons...

If you have any of your basses, in ottawa let me know I would love to try one out.

about lakland. truthfully I would never buy a us lakland because frankly the skylines are amazing, and after hearing about the machining process.. ya. I'll take the korean one. its more than half the price. sure I might not get a birdseye maple neck, or a thick curly maple top... but as you can see in my avatar, my bass look pretty enough as it is :)

Well, I'm from the Ottawa Valley as most folks here know and I make it back every now and then...we're not sure if we're going to look into dealers yet as we don't want to really make these in large numbers...never our want or intention, but we may go with a few select shops and do mainly direct sales...

I may be bringing a few instruments with me that way en route to the Montreal Guitar Show...other than that, some of the endorsed "cGc" players will certainly be in the Capital with their instruments in the near future...

Hey Giggles I would love to try one of your basses! You have any pictures!?

I also have a Warwick Corvette Fretless bass which is a dream to play just don't really have such a use for fretless. I mainly bought it because my fender buzzed so bad! Thing is it's made of really heavy Bubinga wood and pretty much rips my shoulder off, if played for a while.

At one point I was really set on getting a Modulus Quantum 5, yes the one that mike uses. I saw one in the L&M by me and they had one for $2500, but I had no cash so what can you do?

Sticking with my Mesa Walkabout and Eden 2x10, nice and compact and sounds vary nice!

At present I am just beginning building myself 2 tele style instruments...aside from having built myself a solid-body guitar (a lefty strat..."the Rathocaster") back in my teens with my uncles help, all my work has been on electric & acoustic fretted instrument repair, acoustic fretted instrument construction and non-fretted instrument repair...

At my last place of employment, where I worked as a luthier 6 days a week for 5 years, I would have only one day to do the repairs for my fretted instrument clients. This establishment is world renowned and as such I was fortunate to see some of the finest instruments ever made...Stradivari, Guarneri, Guadagnini, Maggini...unfortunately, it put my mind in a snooty thought being around this type of people and I had to get out. After I left I did work for about a year from my home workshop on violins for the house but I have been trying to shift my movements towards working with easier people (basically not classical violinists high-brow type) and focus mainly on archtop guitar construction. I also presently do the guitar repairs for Hofner Canada and am one of the luthiers involved in the revamp of the ROGER guitar project. ROGER guitars were hand made in Germany during the 50's era. The luthier; Wenzel Rossmeisl was the gentleman involved in designer the Rickenbacker guitars and some Fender flat tops as well.

These are all ORIGINAL ROGER's that were never finished; thats where I come in. Some have damage, as they are more than 50 years in age and aired such...

They will be BEAUTIFUL when finished...

For some info on my stuff and some pics of various projects you can check this out: www.myspace.com/gawpoluthier

Thanks...I've been very fortunate to get the opportunity to work with the people I have/do...but I worked hard for it...the Hungarians in particular were a very strong minded, disciplinary pair to work with. :content:

From what I can gather, we have a couple folks on this board to help with the field of luthierie and PabloSanchez is a plethora of information on the 6 string and all things related to her...

geez, man thats quite the resume you got there on your myspace. Nice to have such a knowledgable guy on our forums!!

Ditto! Derrick, I never realized that you had so much background and experience as a luthier.

Keep us posted as things unfold with your instruments. Particularly the basses. :) I'd love to check out a finished one at some point down the road. I've also got an old Hofner guitar that is my Dad's and it would be nice to have you look at, as I'm curious if it is worth restoring.

Peace, Mark

My current bass is a Fender P-Bass "Lyte" Deluxe (2001 made in Japan) which I love. It's light and easy to play, and I can get a nice range of tones with it. Having said that, I've had it for a while and am feeling the urge/need/itch to get another bass to complement it.

I have an Eden Nememsis 200W combo amp (2 X 10) which I bought new 3 or 4 years ago. I still think it is a great little amp for what I paid for it. Lots of power for its size and nice tone. I still use it for practice and for some gigs. I also have a Yorkville 400W bass head and a Yorkville cabinet (2 X 10 and 1 X 15) which I like but don't love. I guess I'm just itching for more. I would like to upgrade my bass rig at some point, maybe with some Eden gear if I can find some for the right price and/or if I can find a buyer for my Yorkville gear. Everybody I talk with seems to love their Eden gear, and I certainly like how it sounds when I hear it played. I also like how my bass sounds straight into my pa system with no effects.

Peace, Mark

I have an eden wt-550.

I run it at 2 ohms with an eden 210xlt and an eden 410xlt. At 2 ohms its pumping out 750 watts.

I hit the low b and I am sometimes afraid my house is gonna crumble around me.

I have been searching for my sound for years and have finaly found it in this rig. ultra clean, crisp and punchy. mmmm.

I have never had to turn it up past half.

I had one of those yorkville rigs for a while. I couldn;t stand it. I have also had peavey (ugh), fender and a yamaha rig.

sold em all.

Edited by Guest

I have an eden wt-550.

I run it at 2 ohms with an eden 210xlt and an eden 410xlt. At 2 ohms its pumping out 750 watts.

That is the exact amp I have! However I run it at 4 ohms with a couple of the old school 410T cabs (they don't make them anymore, not quite as nice as the XLT but a little easier to handle, hehe). Like you, I usually never have to turn it past half, when I get a little boozed up the gain might creep to 1 o'clock.... ;)

I love my amp as well and I don't think I will ever sell it....even if I buy an SVT.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also happy to post that I also now have an Eden wt550! :) I initially bought an Eden wt800 that I found at L&M a couple of weeks ago but it wasn't working properly so I returned it. I saw the wt550 at Sherwood Music in Kitchener last weekend and after they agreed to knock a few bucks off the price I decided to take the plunge. So far I'm loving it! My only complaint so far is that it doesn't have a pre/post eq switch for the DI send, but I can live with that.

I look forward to trying this thing out at some upcoming gigs!

Peace, Mark

its a great amp mark... just make sure to not overuse the EQ... I run mine flat all the time and just eq from my bass.. also the enhance is really only for bedroom playing, it tends to boost lows and highs and cut mids. So when you play live it can be hard to hear, because the mids are what really cut through.

also make sure to set it up gain wise as per the manual.

I have used the DI on all kinds of stages and every sound man comes up to me and says it is a great DI and sounds really good...

Thanks for the advice jonyak ... much appreciated. I will definitely be setting it up gain wise as per the manual, and I do plan on running it with the EQ flat, so a pre/post EQ di switch shouldn't matter. I will also keep your advise in mind re: the enhance knob. I've mucked around with the EQ settings but the best sound I've got so far in my basement has been with the amp EQ flat (or with a slight bass boost), and the enhance knob at about 8 or 9 o'clock. But I haven't tried it out yet in a live situation with other instruments.

What do you usually set your DI level at? I plugged it into my pa and it delivers a hot signal.

Peace, Mark

I usually have my di set about 1/4... and most guy say its a hot signal.. haha.

I used to love having the enhance up high but I founf I could only feel my bass during shows and some practices, so I posted on the eden forums (very helpful place) about it and was told to dial out the enhance.

problem solved, I now cut through a ton...

sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like you didn't know how to use the amp, its just that I went from a fairly straight forward, 1 volume knob amp to this one and I had no idea how to set it up properly and was getting clippng and all kinds of crap at first.

Edited by Guest

No need to apologize jonyak, as I appreciate the input and advice.

I've been reading some of the posts in the Eden forum and yes, there seems to be a lot of great advice in that forum. I think I'll have to become a member.

One more question for you ... how often does your fan come on? Mine came on a couple of times tonight, which surprised me a bit as I'd only been playing for about 30 (or maybe 45 minutes) when it first came on. Plus it seems fairly loud. The noise shouldn't matter when I am playing live, but I was a bit surprised by the fan.

Peace, Mark