Jambands.ca

Spectacle: Elvis Costello with...

edger

Anybody check this out last night?

It's a new show where he converses and plays with various different guests. Last night the special guest was Elton John. It marked the first time that they ever played together on television. Some interesting commentary for sure.

Given that i'm basically homeward bound on friday nights these days i'm relieved to see some quality programming.

Worth checking out...

awesome show, loved the last song (by an artist I did not know of) called "Down River".

Elton is an underrated piano player, imo. And he actually seems like a really decent dude. I'd love to spend Christmas with him and David and their friends, I bet it would be really nice.

I've finally forgiven him for murdering his own song "Candle In The Wind" back when that Royal babe died.

It's a music geeks dream. Exhaustively researched like Inside The Actors Studio but without the fawning sycophant. It's great that they're equals, and to hear a mainstream discussion of Leon Russell, Laura Nyro, the Band's influence on Tumbleweed Connection (probably the second CD I bought after Big Pink).

Andy Summers looks incredible for his 67 years.

By the way, this is on CTV as we speak.

wow - didn't realize he was 67 (actually 66, according to wikipedia, which is never wrong). he does look great. and the episode was also really good.

liked the message in a bottle > watching the detectives > message in a bottle at the end of the show (those were the songs weren't they?)

I enjoyed Kristofferson quite a bit and warmed up to Rosanne Cash's presence after her first tune. I am not still not familiar with her repertoire but the show made me want to find more.

The Mellancamp presence seemed strange and ineffectual.

Norah is good, but seems to lack passion. That's fine and all, seems to be her thing but for me a little blah.

Elvis Costello "Sulfur to Sugar Cane" was really great, a little wordy or long in some parts but overall a cool song.

Also enjoyed the tune that Kristofferson, Costello, and Cash had just wrote together. Costello's falcetto was a little trying but the sentiment was there.