Jambands.ca

Willie Nelson in Kingston - April 5th 2009

Booche

What a fantastic gig. If I had expectations, they would have been clearly blown out of the water. Billy Bob Thorton's band opened but that was a throwaway set. In fact, I am still confused how they were on the bill considering how differing their music was compared to Ray Price and then Willie. I doubt I will see them again.

Ray Price was the 2nd act and let me tell you, that is one 83 year old mutherfugger who can bring it. Old-school country at it's finest. You dont become a legend overnight and you certainly wont remain one unless your music withstands the test of time. Unsurprisingly, I think I knew half of his songs but as covers by other artists. Ray's voice and signing displayed a conviction that is nothing short of inspiring. I loved the 4 violins/fiddles......whatever you want to call them.

Then we got hit with Willie and his 'family'. A piano (sister Bobbie Nelson), snare drum (Pete English) , slight percussive instruments (Pete's brother) and the harmonica player everyone knows (Mickey Raphael). This set of chestnets was so good New Rider would have balled his eyes out. I cant even begin to name all the songs but they included the seemingly always opener Whiskey River, Georgie On My Mind, Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain, Crazy-Funny How Time Slips Away-Nightlife medley, Always On My Mind, On The Road Again, Me And Paul, Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground, Mama Dont Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys, choice covers of Jambalaya, Good Hearted Woman (I think that's a cover?), Will The Circle Be Unbroken, All Of Me.......actually I am going to end it there because this is making me dizzy and I am also unsure what he wrote and didnt when I look at that list. Just know that there were a bunch more songs.

Willie's style is unmistakingly Willie. You hear that voice and or his cadence and you know it's him. You hear his guitar solos and you know it's him. Hell, you hear his chord voicings and you know it's him. It is the greatest gift one can give music and Willie Nelson has given far more than just that.

He's playing at the Civic Center in Ottawa tonight. If you live around that area and dont have a ticket, jaunt on down and see what you can get. Someone might be getting rid of one, heaven forbid! He is in top-notch shape right now. I was utterly shocked at how good last night's show was.

And dont you dare miss Ray Price.

Ray Price:

IMG_4314.jpg

Ray Price's band:

IMG_4332.jpg

Willie:

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4398.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

He's playing at the Civic Center in Ottawa tonight. If you live around that area and dont have a ticket, jaunt on down and see what you can get. Someone might be getting rid of one, heaven forbid! He is in top-notch shape right now. I was utterly shocked at how good last night's show was.

The Ottawa show is Tuesday night actually.

Were there lots of old people taking photos?

Tons and tons. That was the oldest crowd I have ever been a part of. If only I were seeing The Dead this spring......... ;)

Seriously though, Willie played a shitload of songs. Velvet would have loved what Willie described as "one of the new ones" which was apparently written after he had surgery for carpal tunnel syndrome. It might be called I'm Not Superman. That and another humerous one called You Dont Think I'm Funny Anymore.

I am still shocked at how great a guitar he was wielding last night. Total jazz at age 75.

I didn't think there was that many old people there!!!!

The ones that were there had the most fun!!!

The reason I asked is when I last saw him in Ottawa there was a constant stream of "older fans" making their way to the front of the stage to take photos. And I mean *constant*. I'd never seen anything like it.