Jambands.ca

Toronto Folk: Check Out Urban Preacher

bradm

I entered a bunch of dates for Urban Preacher in the Toronto calendar today, including what looks like a Wednesday residency at Cadillac Lounge in June, and if people have the chance, I strongly recommend seeing them. I'd call them a soul/funk band, and they remind me quite a bit of Hiway Freeker: female singer (who can belt it out), great backing band (the guitar player lays it down solidly, then busts out mind-bending stuff at the drop of a hat), and truly engaging fun music. They also have a single horn in the frontline, a baritone sax, which you don't often see outside of a multi-instrument horn section, and it really adds to the soul feel (they played at The Rainbow Bistro in Ottawa last Wednesday, and did a great rendition of Artha Franklin's "Think"). They have a promo video available here.

(Aside from the residency, they also have a couple of other upcoming dates in Toronto, and one in Waterloo, which I entered into the SoOn calendar.)

Aloha,

Brad