Jambands.ca

Pepperjacks!

Low rain

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kenny - Theresa showed me the message last night.

I tried calling, but PJC was closed.

Thanks for all the good times man. You helped guide me towards a positive lifestyle. You have always supported me through the changes. PJC was always a safe, positive place. Even w/ the likes of Paisley, Greggor, and geez, whats his name, its been so long....(just joking Laz)

I consider you one of my greatest friends. I know you will do well in whatever you choose to guide your future.

Please call me if you need anything. Advice, guidance, or just to hang out, now that you have a little more time.....

If you ever need a reference, anything...just ask.

PJC was special from the very first visit.

Nothing compares to PJC in Hamilton, or anywhere really.

Ken, you (and your colleagues) deserve a breather - thanks for all of your hard work. Here's to a well-deserved relaxing summer. Come September, I'm hoping you get bitten by the booking bug - hard!

the 2 yrs i worked the door there were great times in my life, and i am really bummed out by this. BUT, talking with kenny about this back on st Paddys day, it seemed like he was ready to move on, so what are you gonna do? whats the sense in working so hard to put the money in someone elses pocket?

I have made MANY good friends there, fuck i met my wife there, i grew up there in so many ways, she will cry the last show, and i betcha she wont be alone.

the first time i went there, it was Wassabi, the big glass doors were open, great time, i think the 1st time they played there, not sure, but i had a grocery bag FULL of cds, fresh burnt shows all in cases and a half spindle, well, i got drunk, had a great time, and forgot the ~70 cds on the patio. i called the next day, and talked to Kenny, asked if it got turned in, i said its a bag full of cds, with those new phish sbds on top of the spindle, Kenny says, well, its a long shot, comes back 2 minutes later and says you're in luck man theyre still here! i was blown away. from that moment on i KNEW PJ's was the sweetest spot in town, and i was right.

From going to shows there, working the door, seeing bustedass boobies for a 5 dollar cover, helping decorate the whole place for the crazy halloween (cats/BNB), taking my family there for dinners, meeting my wifey there, getting the american bands so stoned they were late on stage, the "green" room, the antics, the FOOD, the CANDLES, the JAZZ, the jager shots, all the old Fever Fight Nights, Sharon Jones, Little Feat, GTB, JSB, Addison Groove, Wassabi in so many diff. configurations, Om Trio, RaisinHill, Drums n Tuba, Beneveto+Russo, Harrison Kennedy for valentines day, Codetalkers n Herring, That 1 Guy, fuckin NEW RIDERS! dj logic w gtb, Highway Freeker, man so many good shows, fat cats, diesel dog, friends of Hefner, strongman, eggmen, fuck the list goes on and on.

remember that one 4/20 show when Ken let us burn upstairs? how many bars are that cool?

Im looking forward to seeing what Ken pulls off for the last few shows, im sure they will be mindblowing, but itll be bittersweet.

If anyone has stellar pics from PJC please PM me

Kenny, give me a call if you need anything brother

lets not forget the hardest working crew in town, Doug, the best soundguy ive heard mix in hamilton, Mary + Allison, the psychic bartenders, and the new girl that aarons got a hard on for lol

Cheers, to Kenny & Co.!!!

Edited by Guest

oh my hubby said it all! Best bar ever in so many ways. No other bar in town or else where has such great sound (thanks in part to Dougie!!), such a great vibe, and such great folks! Many memories for me as well, especially meeting the husband there!

So many awesome shows and forever, Little Feat will be one of my top shows...something like that will not happen again I don't think!

Loved the late nights helpin you crazy kids clean up when Kev still worked there and the killer smoothies Kenny used to make us!

I could go on and on, as I am sure many of us could. We need to make the 30th a right blow-out!! Truly it does feel like an end of an era.............do I really gotta grow up now??? ;)

i just wanted to add something onto my rant above, so many people are sad, and i am too, but think of it this way, and i dont want this to come off shitty, im not trying to make anyone look bad, but think of it this way.

if your buddy was working at a job that he had had enough of, but you loved the perks, would you make him stay working there just so you could keep getting the perks? im not trying to say kenny doesnt like doing this, im sure he has had more fun than any of us. He deserves a friggin MEDAL for some of the shit he has had to put up with, am i right?

edit to add : 4200th post, since i missed the 420th, i thought i'd note this one

Edited by Guest

remember that one 4/20 show when Ken let us burn upstairs? how many bars are that cool?

There was only one other bar that I can think of that would let you blaze inside and that was the Comfort Zone. To bad they stopped bringing in cool shows years ago.

I am also bummed that PJC is closing even though I haven't been in a couple of years. I think New Riders was my last show there.

Kev, you know the place well. We've had many good times there for sure. It's been a fast and furious 8 years in the meantime. So many scenes and people have come and gone.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words. The Deadhead scene in Hamilton and many who are on this board are the ones who kicked off the PJC odyssey. We had a funk band called Hot Buttered Soul, who are friends of mine, as the first band to start playing there. but No one came to see them. They played every friday night(and are awesome) but it was dead and depressing. And Fever was raging so we had to live in their horrible shadow for a while. (thank god they moved).

Some of you may remember when we started a grateful dead night on wednesdays in the 1st(or was it the second) summer we were open. I wanted to throw a grateful dead night and someone I was talking to at the Casbah said Julie from Shady Grove might know a guy who dj's dead shows. I think I might have made a trip up to see her specifically to find out how to get in touch with this Grateful Dead dj Rory (aka Gratefully Deadicated Sound System) Well she hooked me up and we started having a GD night.

It was great, we cranked the dead. You could hear if from a few blocks in either direction.

There weren't too many off us but enough to make it fun for a little while. Remember Button?

Jay Cleary took notice of this night and booked his band there one of these nights. What the hell was their name?

This night then caught the eye of show-whore aka flowers aka shane. Who REALLY wanted to book JSB and Grand Theft Bus there. since he was getting no love from the original Casbah owners(not brodie).

I think when he saw the space and realized I was a deadhead it was a natural fit.

So he booked JSB and GTB as our first successful shows. I had never heard of them and had given up on the jamband scene in general until he introduced me to them and I became an instant fan. Hearing those CTMF shows before they played pjc had me wowed. What a fresh new sound. then the shows happened and hippies were coming out out of the woodwork to see these guys. Everyone danced. It was awesome!!! Then came Nero, Blue Quarter, Raisin Hill, Jomomma, FAT CATS! Deisel Dog. There was old school and new school styles both doing very well. Those first 2 wassabi shows were definitely some of the most epic to ever hit pjc.

Then the scene did start to fizzle a bit. Shane moved to Halifax and I was left to do the booking and to get a new sound guy named Doug the Soundguy. He wanted more money then Shane but it became apparent he was worth it.

To be honest I kind of thought the end was when Shane left. then Brodie started booking the same jambands we had been booking all this time, it was a bit aggravating a first but it also opened the doors for me to also book styles outside of the jam scene I had become accustomed to.

I think Sharon Jones was the tsn turning point in our future. Also as the regional jamband scene fizzled a bit, Brian Carson stepped in and started booking the really big guns on a national/ international level. Codetalkers, NRPS, Truths and Rights, Maria Muldaur, Little Feat!?!?!

yeah so then indie rock and funk and electro bands started came into the mix and the rest is history. I could go on, but I got a lot of explaining to do to soo many people.

Things will get better. It always gets worse before things get better as you all know.

We do still have some good times to come in the next 2 months still. Hope everyone knows that I've saved the last show at PJC for the Fat Cats and Diesel Dog on May 30th.

Hope everyone can make it.

And thanks again for all the love everyone. My goal is to get through this closing without crying in public so don't mess!!

It will be very sad indeed to see Pepperjack's go, I have had soooo many great times there. It's really the only bar since the old La Luna that you can walk in the door and feel like you're home with you're family.

Cheers to Ken and staff

always looked forward to the honey butter. mmm...

You'll be missed.

mmmm that shit is the shit!!

i was scared when i heard that showwhore was gonna be the cook, but it was good, better than i thought. the food is always good there.

another fond memory is working the door with greg on busy busy nights, i swear, every time it would just turn into a drinking contest.

Hey Kenny! make sure you get lots of Jagger for the 30th bro

Haven't been on the board for a few days so I am just getting the chance to read through this thread now.

I have known about this for a little while due to the Fatties gig being booked for the closing night, and have been 'mourning' in silence until Kenny was ready to make it public. I am very saddened by this, but am supportive and excited for kc as he embarks on a new chapter.

As many have said, going to pepperjacks is like hanging out at a good friend's home. You can't fabricate that, or put a price on it. The music, the people, the vibe, the patio, the staff...they all just seemed to come together at a space and time that worked. I hope for all of our sakes that we'll continue to be able to capture little pockets of those moments at other times and spaces throughout the Hammer.

Sometimes I hate turning a page.