Jambands.ca

Billy Bob Thornton v. Jian Ghomeshi

Hartamophone

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw the Willie Nelson/Ray Price show last night at Maseey Hall last night and Billy Bob Thorton and his band the Boxmasters opened.

What a douche. He showed no movement or emotion when he sand, made a couple wise cracks to the audience and played the drums in a very boring display to end the performace.

The whole show was way too loud and the first four songs sounded identical. His band also had 3 electric guitars and one acoustic guitar to front it.

It took that many people on stage to make him sound decent. Boring!

At the end of the show he said.."I'm going out to have a smoke now...they really fucked that up didn't they."

After that Ray Price and Willie Nelson blew him off stage showing him how you put on a show.

I have a hard time believing that I watched the same interview as ollie and momack.

I watched it twice and until he was directly confronted, Jian never asked a single question that wasn't directly about music, he asked no questions about acting, and (until BBT became the obvious focus) he interviewed the whole band fairly equally. Good luck getting treated like that on Letterman. I think BBT deserved to be challenged for for his stance if his stance is important enough to crybaby through a 15 minute interview.

It would be funny if the band replaced BBT - after all, he's just the drummer!

Haha! WOW! I had no idea BBT was such a prick and a baby. That was good watchin. I thought Gomeshi did a great job in defending himself in a logical and collected way.

Where was this reported in the media? I'd love to see how it was reported.

I heard about a 3 minute clip of the interview on the radio this morning and it looks like I heard things out of order, I assumed the actor stuff was the start of the interview, my bad.

Regardless I still stand by my position that Ghomeshi made the interview partially about him when he continued to challenge Thornton on the actor thing. This isn't 60 fucking minutes.

I'm not defending Thornton, I just don't see Ghomeshi as some sort of hero for pushing the envelope. Just another media douchebag really.

I'm not defending Thornton, I just don't see Ghomeshi as some sort of hero for pushing the envelope. Just another media douchebag really.

Media douchebag? I don't listen to him every day, but whenever I can, I generally think he is a well-spoken likeable personality. Unless you are just speaking about this specific case. In which case I should just shut up.

Oh and does anybody know if the National Playlist was his idea or was he just the host? I think that show was BY FAR the coolest(not greatest, the coolest) thing CBC ever did, and I am still pissed its gone.

Edited by Guest

I'm not defending Thornton' date=' I just don't see Ghomeshi as some sort of hero for pushing the envelope. Just another media douchebag really.

[/quote']

Media douchebag? I don't listen to him every day, but whenever I can, I generally think he is a well-spoken likeable personality. Unless you are just speaking about this specific case. In which case I should just shut up.

Ollie is speaking about a case that he admittedly did not bother getting the full story on. That, in and of itself, invalidates ANY "insight" he has, in my not-so-humble opinion.

The purpose of the band doing the interview was to promote an album. The CBC was doing the band a favour - a favour they only warranted as they had a movie star drummer.

There was no excuse for the behaviour.

It cuts both ways. The band may have been doing CBC a favour because they needed content.

And regardless of who was doing who a favour - if there were stipulations put on it then they should be followed no? Maybe they would have simply declined the favour.

He did bring up an excellent point about how unresponsive Canadian audiences are.

Fuckthatselfrighteouscuntface (not you YATS, I mean BBT). I saw his set in Kingston. It sucked balls. No wonder people were dead but at least they were attentive. I went so far as to tell others to skip it in Toronto.

I really think the perfect question for him would have been "Do you think that your band would be sitting here getting interviewed if it weren't for your acting career?" Granted, that probably would have ended the interview right there, but I think BBT wants to have his cake and eat it too - using his preexisting celebrity to leverage gigs and publicity, but not wanting to talk about it during interviews. It doesn't work that way, brah.

I really think the perfect question for him would have been "Do you think that your band would be sitting here getting interviewed if it weren't for your acting career?"

Funny you bring that up. I saw the premiere of "Looking For Richard" at the Toronto Film Festival many years ago. It was the fruit of Al Pacino's labour, and basically a documentary on the play Richard III. Instead of just making a movie based on the play, he made a movie about understanding the play.

In the Q&A I asked him if it bothered him that the "wider audience" he was targeting would be drawn into this because it was an Al Pacino work, and not necessarily because of a desire to understand and appreciate the work of Shakespeare.

He said that that was probably an inevitability, but in the end, if it exposed the art to others that wouldn't necessarily be seeking it out if they weren't a fan of his acting career, he didn't care. The purpose was served.

Billy Bob Thornton doesn't get it. He has "art" that he wants to get out there. He's lucky he has an established career and notoriety, he shouldn't give a fuck that that puts butts in the seats. It is IMPOSSIBLE to know if his band would ever get exposure otherwise, because that alternate reality does not exist.

I'm not defending Thornton' date=' I just don't see Ghomeshi as some sort of hero for pushing the envelope. Just another media douchebag really.

[/quote']

Ollie is speaking about a case that he admittedly did not bother getting the full story on. That, in and of itself, invalidates ANY "insight" he has, in my not-so-humble opinion.

I'll watch the whole thing later tonight Mr. Poopypants.