Jambands.ca

Billy Bob Thornton v. Jian Ghomeshi

Hartamophone

It could very well be that BBT totally 'gets it' and this was a calculated publicity move.

Yeah, I wondered that in one of my first posts in the thread. Clearly, if he had given a mundane or even cordial interview we would not be here talking about him. Yet with things unfolding as they did, this is the most active thread on a music message board today. I'm sure there are at least a couple of folks around here who will be checking out the band's MySpace page - if nothing else - as a result of all of this attention.

I don't care what they say about me, just as long as they spell my name right.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really think the perfect question for him would have been "Do you think that your band would be sitting here getting interviewed if it weren't for your acting career?" Granted, that probably would have ended the interview right there, but I think BBT wants to have his cake and eat it too - using his preexisting celebrity to leverage gigs and publicity, but not wanting to talk about it during interviews. It doesn't work that way, brah.

But isn't his point that he doesn't want to use the pre-existing celebrity? And didn't his agent/managers handlers explain that to the CBC (as far as we know) before the interview?

ie. if you want to do this because I'm an actor then we won't bother. If you want to do it because we're a band and opening for Willie and forget the other stuff then we will.

CBC presumably agreed and then didn't live up to their end. I'll admit that Jian probably didn't realize he wasn't living up to it - but its still a fact. No mention of acting = no mention of acting. Should have been able to listen to it and say to yourself "I wonder if that's the same Billy Bob that was fucking Angelina?" or a different one (and I'm sure more then one Billy Bob out there has the southern accent...)

Jian basically asked that question when confronted. And good on him.

BBT did CBC a favour by provoding content? Yeah, I'm sure CBC is scrambling to find bands to do lengthy interviews on their coast-to-coast show.

C'mon now.

C'mon now? Who would think for a second that CBC, getting cut to shreds, would be looking for A list celebrities to put on the air? They're loving the publicicty they're getting right now I'm sure. Every extra hit on their website etc. etc. giving them more ammunition to seek funding / stay in business.

Sure, they could put Neil Young on again. Or Randy Bachman. Or Wassabi Collective. All cool. Fulfills the mandate. Done it before. (maybe not Wassabi)

CBC is a business. Different then most sure, but a business none the less and they're in the business of providing content. A list celerities are content. (or B- list or whatever the fuck he is)

(and I am a CBC supporter and from that perspective the whole thing is great)

If BBT doesn't want to use his pre-existing celebrity then he shoulda recorded under an assumed name and kept playing gigs in his basement. As if his name didn't have something to do with, oh I dunno, getting a recording/distribution deal and an opening slot on Willies arena tour.

It's like Gene Simmons refusing to aknowledge he was in KISS and insisting that he is a reality tv star, not only first and foremost, but exclusively and entirely.

"CBC is a business. Different then most sure, but a business none the less and they're in the business of providing content. A list celerities are content. (or B- list or whatever the fuÇk he is)"

You nailed it there. BBT the actor is A-list, BBT the drummer is somewhere just above or below Wassabi. BBT the drummer is of no use to a show like Q that regularly gets A-list.

"CBC is a business. Different then most sure, but a business none the less and they're in the business of providing content. A list celerities are content. (or B- list or whatever the fuÇk he is)"

You nailed it there. BBT the actor is A-list, BBT the drummer is somewhere just above or below Wassabi. BBT the drummer is of no use to a show like Q that regularly gets A-list.

We agree then. Q should have said "if we can't mention your acting then we don't need you". But they didn't.

But isn't his point that he doesn't want to use the pre-existing celebrity? And didn't his agent/managers handlers explain that to the CBC (as far as we know) before the interview?

Again, better to brush up on the facts before going off on a rant. According to BBT's publicist, they do not instruct producers what they can and can't talk about ( source).

And, to be clear, BBT was set off just at the MENTION of his acting career in the intro. There was ZERO mention of it after that until Ghomeshi confronted him.

BBT said that they were told not to speak of acting. Thats all I was going on.

What you think I spend all day in front of a computer looking up useless facts and typing on message boards? Geesh. Thats only Thursdays before a long weekend.

Well, you certainly don't look up useless facts, or any facts for that matter.

;)

Ghomeshi claimed he was not instructed to avoid mention of his acting career. BBT's publicist backs up Ghomeshi's claim. Add another tick to the douche scorecard beside BBT's name.

BBT said that they were told not to speak of acting. Thats all I was going on.

What you think I spend all day in front of a computer looking up useless facts and typing on message boards? Geesh. Thats only Thursdays before a long weekend.

Well' date=' you certainly don't look up useless facts, or any facts for that matter.

;)

Ghomeshi claimed he was not instructed to avoid mention of his acting career. BBT's publicist backs up Ghomeshi's claim. Add another tick to the douche scorecard beside BBT's name.[/quote']

What - is that BBT the actor's publiciest or BBT the the Boxmaster's publicist???

this isn't the first time BBT has gone off about this though is it? i recall hearing of this before. so my reaction was that the interviewer should not have mentioned it (if asked not to), knowing that he is so sensitive about it. but it seems like the interviewer had no knowledge that it would set him off? didn't research i guess.

this isn't the first time BBT has gone off about this though is it? i recall hearing of this before. so my reaction was that the interviewer should not have mentioned it (if asked not to), knowing that he is so sensitive about it. but it seems like the interviewer had no knowledge that it would set him off? didn't research i guess.

Did you?

this isn't the first time BBT has gone off about this though is it? i recall hearing of this before. so my reaction was that the interviewer should not have mentioned it (if asked not to)' date=' knowing that he is so sensitive about it. but it seems like the interviewer had no knowledge that it would set him off? didn't research i guess.[/quote']

Did you?

i have heard about the topic in media before, i would think a journalist should keep up on these things?