Jambands.ca

Billy Bob Thornton v. Jian Ghomeshi

Hartamophone

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would one of you two billy bob lovers please define what too long is? All I heard was an introduction as to who in the hell the band members were which happened to mention bb's history. 10 seconds...max about him?

I'm talking about the point in the interview where Ghomeshi confronts him and asks if he was offended by the intro. There are several pauses where Jian had the opportunity to steer the interview back on course but he kept going back to the conflict even though he was just basically repeating himself at that point.

Look at BBT from the get go, staring at the roof and right away on the first question "uhh uhh I'm not sure what you mean"

But yeah its Jian's fault right? And then his language he is using "Shit, I don't know..." on 10AM morning radio show. This is all before the actor thing came up.

would one of you two billy bob lovers please define what too long is? All I heard was an introduction as to who in the hell the band members were which happened to mention bb's history. 10 seconds...max about him?

I'm talking about the point in the interview where Ghomeshi confronts him and asks if he was offended by the intro. There are several pauses where Jian had the opportunity to steer the interview back on course but he kept going back to the conflict even though he was just basically repeating himself at that point.

The opportunity to steer what interview back on course? The one where Billy Bob was refusing to answer questions, going on tangents about painting monsters as a kid and trying to put himself on the same musical level as Tom Petty?

Jian had no choice but to "confront" Billy Bob on why he was refusing to participate in the interview after several failed attempts at engaging him. If Jian had tried to carry on with the interview without getting to the root of why Billy Bob was acting the way he was, it would have continued to go absolutely nowhere.

Oh I now think BBT is clearly a whack job. However any good journalist has the ability to steer the interview. Once he realized BBT wasn't going to participate, he could have refocused the interview on to the other band members. IMO it's very poor professionalism to go for the throat when there is another path.

My vote goes to Ollie... ;)

Oh I now think BBT is clearly a whack job. However any good journalist has the ability to steer the interview. Once he realized BBT wasn't going to participate, he could have refocused the interview on to the other band members. IMO it's very poor professionalism to go for the throat when there is another path.

unless he hates their band... ;)

Edited by Guest

Would it have been good "professional journalism" or Gomeshi's part to ignore the elephant in the room and "steer" the interview away from it?

Its plain and simple - regardless of what BBTs handlers asked/instructed CBC about his acting career - Thornton was incredibly rude and CHILDISH. His reaction is just SOOOOO disproportionate to Gomeshi's intro if that's really the issue.

Come on. Can you seriously excuse his behaviour having watched that?!?

If he was really upset - suck it up like an adult and at the very least don't act like a baby in front of the world...

For fuck's sake people, I never said it was all Jian's fault. I just wanted to point out that he had a part to play in the fiasco and that I think he was unprofessional in doing so.

I had no idea Jian Ghomeshi was such a sacred cow around here.

Easy there Billy. ;)

Regarding your focus on that section of the interview with the confrontation, it really seemed to me like Jian was explaining the REAL position of the interview and producer's intent to billy after billy was throwing out insults. I didn't see it as baiting in any way.

Billy was out of line. It's not his show.

And this just in from the London Free Press:

Billy Bob: Pulls plug on JLC gig

Fri, April 10, 2009

By JAMES REANEY and KATHY RUMLESKI, SUN MEDIA

Bye-bye Billy Bob.

Billy Bob Thornton & the Boxmasters have pulled out of their Canadian tour with Willie Nelson and Ray Price and will not be at the John Labatt Centre tonight.

The tour turned sour on Thornton after his bizarre interview on CBC radio’s Q earlier this week hit the airwaves and the Internet. He was booed by a Toronto Massey Hall crowd, which also made catcalls, Thursday night.

A statement on Willie Nelson’s website said the Boxmasters have cancelled the remainder of the tour.

“At this time, no reasons have been announced but the remainder of the tour will continue as scheduled.â€

The John Labatt Centre’s Chris Campbell said last night that officials there were not told why Thornton dropped out.

“We’ve just been notified that he won’t be performing,†Campbell said.

He said the cancellation doesn’t change the start time of the concert, set for 7:30 p.m., or the length.

Both Price and Nelson will extend their sets, Campbell said.

Thornton, the band’s singer, took issue with Q host Jian Ghomeshi’s introduction to the interview, which included references to the star’s career as a Hollywood actor, director and screenwriter.

It came to a head — and the buzz began — when Ghomeshi mentioned Thornton’s passion for music. “Would you say that to Tom Petty?†Thornton questioned.

One result would seem to be that readers of The Free Press will not know what else he was thinking.

An e-mail from the Boxmasters’ media relations team arrived early Thursday.

“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to schedule this for (Thursday). I’ve got some conflicts in the guys’ schedule,†the e-mail said.

On Wednesday, the radio host suggested that Thornton’s past was relevant to provide context for listeners.

“There’s plenty of context without all that,†Thornton fired back.

When Ghomeshi pointed out that his refusal to acknowledge his film career was odd, Thornton responded: “I think it’s odd that you have to smoke inside a white stripe outside,†apparently referring to a no-smoking policy at buildings in Toronto.

Ghomeshi said later in a telephone interview that Thornton left without saying goodbye or thanking the host.

During that radio show, the Oscar-winning star found time to insult Canadian crowds.

“Canadian audiences seem to be very reserved,†he told Ghomeshi. “We tend to play places where people throw things at each other. Here, they just sort of sit there. And it doesn’t matter what you say to ’em. ... It’s mashed potatoes but no gravy.â€

Even without the Boxmasters, there is plenty of star power on the bill tonight.

Price and Nelson go way back. Nelson was a member of Price’s band early in his career.

He now has more than 200 albums in his catalogue and is known for such songs as Crazy, Hello Walls, and his famous genre-adjusting version of Stardust. Nelson, 76, is also known as an author, actor and activist.

- with files from The Canadian Press

This joust at Ghomeshi, who was praised across the web by everyone but Ollie for his calm approach to Thornton's on-air sulking, was greeted by the Massey Hall audience with jeering and shouts of "Here comes the gravy!"

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/616937

I f'n love the excuse for pulling out.

"It is absolutely not because of the CBC interview. One of the band members and several of the crew have the flu and need a couple of days off to recuperate," said Arnold Robinson. "Billy does not have the flu. The band is only concerned about giving the audience the best show possible, and when one of them is down with the flu, they can't do that.

Billy made sure that they emphasized that HE didn't have the flu. Other weaker members of his band and crew did.

fuck.

Hey

My 2 cents...

I'm predisposed to not like Jian G. (I met him once in the 90's and he was an ass)

So when I watched this i expected to understand BBT's point of view and feel some sympathy...and I just don't.

He has been around journalists long enough to know that their job is to serve the story and not the subject. BBT made the story about his attitude when he started acting inexplicably (and repeatedly) strange--which he later admits to.

A first year journalism student at Ryerson would feel the need to ask him why he did that.

Gomeshi did his job and BBT hung himself (although I wonder how many hits the Boxmasters got on their website yesterday).

Weird day.

Jef

PS-That flu thing is hilarious. It seems to me that if it were true it sounds so stupid that you'd make something else up.

I f'n love the excuse for pulling out.

"It is absolutely not because of the CBC interview. One of the band members and several of the crew have the flu and need a couple of days off to recuperate," said Arnold Robinson. "Billy does not have the flu. The band is only concerned about giving the audience the best show possible, and when one of them is down with the flu, they can't do that.

Billy made sure that they emphasized that HE didn't have the flu. Other weaker members of his band and crew did.

fuck.

I suspect that the other three members of the band have come down with an astute case of douche chills and are unable continue the tour.