Jambands.ca

Happy Easter

thomson

Happy long weekend everybody!

One of the kids at my work was asking what "lent" was and it reminded me of the book Love Is a Mix Tape:

One spring, I even decided to give up evil music for Lent. It meant seven weeks of listening to the radio and wondering which songs were evil and which songs were just about evil. I decided the Stones’ “Sympathy for the Devil†was okay because it was anti-devil, but the Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil†was soft on Satan. I gave myself permission to keep cranking Jim Carroll’s “People Who Diedâ€, because it was so saturated with evil that it amounted to a critique of evil, but not Lou Reed’s “Walk on the Wild Side,†which was just plain evil. I made a specially edited tape of London Calling to omit the nun-fucking. These theological judgments made my head hurt, and I was relieved when Lent was over. On Easter morning, I treated myself to “Walk on the Wild Side.â€

-Rob Sheffield, Love is a Mix Tape, page 42.

After reading this quote to the kids we put on Lou Reed and a few of them were dancing.

An excellent Easter tradition in my opinion!

Anyone have any idea why the day marking the horrible death of the Son of God is called Good Friday?

From

http://christiancadre.blogspot.com/2007/04/why-is-it-called-good-friday.html

(which I found in yet another Google search)

But why is a day filled with such pain, abuse, and death called "Good Friday"?

"Good Friday" is certainly not the only thing we could call this day. In Latin countries, it is called "Holy Friday." In Germany, it is called "Mourning Friday" or "Friday of Mourning." Norway refers to it as "Long Friday" (a reference to the length of the day's services). The Orthodox Churches call it "Holy Friday" and "Great Friday."

All of these names are instructive and understandable. So how did it come to be called "Good Friday" in English-speaking lands? The reality is that we do not know for sure. After scouring the internet and other sources, there appear to be three plausible alternatives.

1. An archaic meaning of "good" is something akin to "holy." Thus, it used to mean "Holy Friday."

2. It was recognized that the evils of that day lead to the greatest good, the salvation of mankind. Thus, despite the bad, the day was truly good.

3. An archaic meaning of "good" is "God," just as "good-bye" means "God be with you." Thus, it used to mean "God's Friday."

I think it's called Good Friday because of the bunnies. Any day that features bunnies must surely qualify as "good."

Aloha,

Brad