Jambands.ca

Guitar tech question: re-bridging?

bradm

My main guitar is an Ibanez Roadstar II, as near as I can tell the same as this one:

12_1983_Ibanez_Roadstar_II-211x330.jpg

I like it a lot, especially the feel of it, but there's one thing that bugs me about it: the bridge. It's a vibrato bridge (but not a locking type, like a Floyd Rose), which I don't need or want, and changing the strings on it is a pain (requiring the removal of a little plug that holds the string down, then threading the string under and through fiddly little metal bits, and so on); further, I'm sure the bridge needs a bit of work.

Would it be possible to completely re-vamp the bridge on it? I'm thinking about having the hole on the back where the springs go filled in with wood, and then install either a Gibson-style top-of-the-body bridge and tailpiece, or have it rigged for stringing through the body, like a Telecaster.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing this kind of thing, so I don't know how risky it'd be (especially to the feel of the guitar). Is this a really bad idea, or is it worth persuing?

Aloha,

Brad

Hmmm. I've heard of adding a vibrato onto a guitar, not sure if I've ever seen the opposite. I'd have to guesstimate that the work and process involved in doing that and maintaining the look and feel (and sound) would be more than it's worth. If you like the guitar the way it is I'd stick with it.

Brad:

yes, it can be done. the method you are assuming (that of adding wood into the cavity) is indeed the route one would take. I would also add dowling inserts into the body and patch, and epoxy it to ensure that no shifting takes place. from that, colour and lacquer touch-ups are your final step.

I would not recommend it be done by a novice as the patch should fit without any gaps to ensure no future movement from the string pressure, which could cause any number of issues like lacquer checking, intonation troubles from a shifting bridge etc...

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D

replace how? no longer existing? replaced with other v/t/b knobs in their place? replace with an entire new v/t/b system that does the same thing but doesn't intrude the body (like the Fishman Matrix Infinity)?

Gawpo Giggles :D:D:D

*** regardless of what you desire, yes, it can be done ;)