02. Glory Road (acoustic)

03. A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall (acoustic)

04. Jam(started prerecorded)>

05. Dark Star>

06. King Solomon's Marbles>

07. Drums> Space>

08. Come Together>

09. Dark Star>

10. Sugar Magnolia (Tipper Gore percussion)

11. Encore: Uncle John's Band>

12. Ripple

Edited by Guest

4-15-john-paul-jones-arena2.gif

(Set 1)

New Speedway Boogie

Bertha

High Time

Mason's Children

Big Boss Man

Doin' That Rag

Standing On The Moon

(Set 2)

Playing In The Band>

Crazy Fingers>

Drums>

Space>

St. Stephen>

The Eleven>

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo>

Playing In The Band>

Foolish Heart

(Encore)

G-L-O-R-I-A

on-the-road-again.jpg

Charlottesville, VA Pre-Show

This is one beautiful city. The people down here are so, well, nice. Having lived on the west coast for so long, I’ve come across loads of great people, but there is a noticeable warmth in regular interactions with just about everyone. So, thanks, Virginia, you’ve made us all feel at home. The venue here, the John Paul Jones Arena, is on the campus of the University of Virginia, and is the home to the university’s basketball teams, a nice new venue. It’s a smaller venue than the past two nights, with tonight’s venue closer to 13,000. People are slowly making their way to the area, and the buzz is beginning. It was fun driving through Richmond and seeing the Coliseum, where the Grateful Dead played some great shows in November, 1985.

The scene outside was a little reminiscent of Greensboro in that it was a large parking lot, although it was much colder day than Greensboro. As soundcheck wraps up, the feeling is for another solid night of music, hopefully with some more surprises...

Set 1

Starting out right where they left off last night, with another track from 1970, this time Workingman’s Dead’s New Speedway Boogie. It took the audience by surprise, and within seconds everyone was up and dancing. A terrific vocal outro closed the song, with the crowd clapping along to rhythm of the song. It was pretty darn cool. Jumping into another nearly-as-old track, Bertha, from 1971, kept people shaking, which was very appropriate considering the weather. Indeed, ran into a rain storm! A huge cheer for that line. A little nuanced thing was during the closing chorus on Bertha, Warren did these tasty little guitar fills while he was singing. In keeping with the early 1970s theme, next up was a Warren-sung High Time that was extremely well-played. So, far, a very solid start to the show! Next was another 1969-1970 gem, Mason’s Children. It featured some really fine guitar work by Warren, and after a lengthy and inspired jam, Phil brought back the melody of the song for the final verse. In keeping with the so-far-nothing-before-1971 show, next up was Big Boss Man. Bluesy, meaty and raunchy, with a great slide guitar solo by Warren. I’m seeing a trend here, with early MVP-of-the-evening honours leaning in Warren’s direction. Woe, next is 1969’s Doin’ That Rag. People who like older Dead (like, all of us…) are smiling ear-to-ear. Jumping ahead 20 years in GD history, the show then goes to 1989 with Standing On The Moon. A nice spot for a mellower tune.

Set 2

Second set opened with a terrific, jammed out Playing In The Band, which was almost the end of your intrepid reporter’s reportage, as my laptop was stolen while I was out enjoying the music. But, during Crazy Fingers, the perpetrator was spotted, dropped the computer and ran. So, on to the show. Crazy Fingers dropped smoothly into Drums, with the Rhythm Devils on this tour being outstanding so far. Great sounds and themes coming from the drummers. Then came a way-out Space, during which Bobby, as always, played some unguitar-like guitar sounds. That flowed beautifully into St. Stephen, played very nicely by the participants. The jam in the middle of St. Stephen was very intense and nearly blew the roof off the house, with Warren once again providing a stellar boost. Flowing into a very welcome The Eleven, the show’s energy just kept growing. Then came an unexpected but really playing Mississippi Half-Step, with a nice “Across the Rio Grand-eo†ending. Dropping into Playing In The Band was a beautiful way to head toward the end of the show. It was always nice at a GD show when they’d do the Playing Reprise even though you’d forgotten they’d played an hour earlier. Then came Foolish Heart, one of Jerry’s finest latter-day compositions. It had a nice little jam in the middle. Encore: G-L-O-R-I-A!!!! Nice!!! Greensboro and DC were very good shows, but this one, to my ears, was the most pleasing so far. Which is to say, it keeps getting better every night.

One little side thing to note is how great Phil has been sounding in the hall, owing greatly (I assume) to his wonderful new bass, as well as the front of house mix by the extremely talented mixer Derek Featherstone. He’s got the band sounding great.

4-17-times-union-center.gif

(Set 1)

Casey Jones

Cold Rain and Snow

New Minglewood Blues

Into The Mystic

West LA Fadeaway

Brown Eyed Women

Cumberland Blues

(Set 2)

Viola Lee Blues>

Sugaree>

The Other One>

Drums>

Space>

Comes A Time>

Unbroken Chain>

Throwing Stones

(Encore)

Not Fade Away

on-the-road-again.jpg

Albany Pre-show

After a nice, long drive from Charlottesville to Albany, it was great to pull up the venue at which so many great Grateful Dead shows took place, and we even stayed at the same hotel I used to stay at 16-19 years ago. Pretty cool. The city hasn’t changed much, and we had a great night hanging out on Lark Street. For an east coast burrito joint, Bombers should be proud. It’s a hip little neighborhood, and just a short walk from the venue. The load in was during a crisp but sunny morning, and everything is running smoothly. Spirits keep getting higher as the shows keep getting better. Now a Friday night in a classic Grateful Dead venue bodes well for a fun night of music. Preparations are going well for tomorrow’s live broadcast from Worcester. People are beginning to fill the streets of Albany as the weather keeps getting warmer.

Although the Knickerbocker, er, Times Union Center is quite a bit bigger than the Charlottesville arena, it feels so small. Maybe it’s due to familiarity of having been here so often in the past. Walking around the venue earlier today I forget that I’d seen Robert Hunter here at the Palace Theatre in 1997, just down the street from the Knickerbocker.

Set 1

Another blast of pre-1970, with Casey Jones and Cold Rain and Snow opening the show. Cold Rain has always been one of my favourites and this one was played beautifully and had everyone up and dancing. Jeff’s swirling organ filled the room, and everyone played their hearts out on top of that. Terrific stuff. Following that with another old one, New Minglewood Blues, had everyone smiling, plus a tasty Into The Mystic sung by Warren was a nice surprise. And then came the 1980s, with a bluesy, raunchy West LA Fadeaway. Crazy stuff. Following that came another dose of 1970-1971, Brown Eyed Women (with a great intro!) followed by Cumberland Blues, with Phil laying down that wonderful Cumberland bass line. All in all a very, very good and solid first set that everyone loved.

Set 2

Everyone was thrilled with the second set opener, Viola Lee Blues! And it went on and on with some crazy way-out-there jams! Excuse the exclamation points, but it was smoking!! That fell into a beautiful Sugaree with Warren providing some soulful vocals. Out of the ashes of Sugaree came a deep and powerful The Other One, complete with roaring Phil bass intro. Bobby has been playing really great this tour, and tonight is the clearest and loudest I’ve yet heard him, and his playing is high on the wow-factor. Derek on the recording crew thought this Other One was really a cooker, and he was right. Another excellent Rhythm Devils came next, with Billy and Mickey playing some inspired sounds, as we journeyed through space with them. Out of Space came Comes A Time, and a friend pointed out that it was on 3/27/93 at this very same venue that both Casey Jones and Comes A Time were played, just as they both were tonight. Thanks DG for the historical reminder. That show in 1993 was the only time I saw either of those tunes live. After Comes A Time came a long, very jammed out Unbroken Chain, a song I’ll never tire of. Everyone kept pushing that instrumental groove harder under it all fell back into the final verse. Well done! A Throwing Stones emerged from that, one of Bobby’s finest compositions. What a freaking show! Throwing Stones was a nice way to end the second set, and as a continuation of that usual sequence, the nice encore of Not Fade Away.

Oh, and on a side note, the lights look amazing at these shows! Dan English, the lighting designer, has done a wonderful job lighting these concerts.

Thanks Albany, for another great of music. It was always my favourite tour stop in 1990-1993, and tonight was the best night yet, and that’s saying a lot considering how much fun it’s been so far. On to Worcester, for two nights at the Centrum (or whatever it’s called now).

Not to be a grumbler, I was definitely happy to be at the show last night, but the tempos were so slow, it was a bit of a sleeper show. I kept getting up to dance and they would lull me back to my seat.

And I guess I'm spoiled after Phish, but the lights are a non-event in comparison.

Wow, I sound like a spoiled lot rat.

Last night was awesome! Hooray for the Dead! Can't wait for tonight!!!!

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/WireStory?id=7359979&page=1

How Barack Obama Resurrected The Dead

Turns out it took nearly a presidential decree to put The Dead back on the road

By JOHN ROGERS

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES

He's still got a little work to do on the economy, but already President Barack Obama has accomplished at least one task that had appeared all but impossible just a year ago: He's put The Dead back on the road.

As the core surviving members of the Grateful Dead, once the world's biggest concert draw, barrel across the country for the first time in five years, bass player Phil Lesh says they have Obama, and also Lesh's youngest son, Brian, to thank.

After Lesh, who had never publicly supported a presidential candidate, threw his lot in with Obama, he was anxious to do a benefit concert for him. But he was all but done with The Dead, so it was going to feature his other band, Phil and Friends.

"My son Brian said, 'No Daddy, you've got to get The Dead together because it will be so much more meaningful and important,'" the musician chuckled during a recent phone interview.

One benefit performance led to another and then an inaugural ball concert. Next thing they knew, Lesh, guitarist Bob Weir and drummers Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann were back together.

"It came off so well that we thought we owe it to ourselves to play again," Lesh said. "It brings out something in all of us, in our gestalt and our totality, that we can't deliver, we can't find anywhere else."

For the tour, which got under way Sunday in Greensboro, N.C., and runs through the middle of next month, the band is breaking out what Lesh calls the Grateful Dead classics. The musicians will cherry-pick from 160 songs honed during weeks of rehearsals.

"We actually played 13 days in a row at one point. Not bad for a bunch of old beasts," laughed Hart.

But, all four say, there is still plenty of original music to be found in the jamming at the band's four-hour shows and in a rhythm section rearranged by the drummers.

"We didn't want to go out and just do the same thing," said Kreutzmann, who with Hart wrote new percussion parts for the tour.

The only thing missing is the group's iconic lead guitarist Jerry Garcia, whose death from a heart attack in 1995 prompted the band to drop Grateful from it's name and to all but abandon what had been 30 years of nearly nonstop touring. Warren Haynes replaces him for this tour.

"We all miss him every day," said Lesh. "At the same time, we're still here on Earth and we're still making music. And by God we'll continue to make music until we drop."

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Copyright © 2009 ABC News Internet Ventures

The Dead Live at John Paul Jones Arena on 2009-04-15

http://www.archive.org/details/dead2009-04-15..josephson.flac16

Set 1:

01. [02:40] crowd/tuning ->

02. [08:38] New Speedway Boogie

03. [09:16] Bertha

04. [06:49] High Time

05. [14:56] Mason's Children

06. [08:45] Big Boss Man

07. [07:08] Doin' that Rag

08. [09:35] Standing on the Moon

Set 2:

01. [01:39] crowd/tuning ->

02. [11:32] Playin' in the Band ->

03. [16:58] Crazyfingers ->

04. [08:14] Drumz ->

05. [14:25] Space ->

06. [11:35] St. Stephen ->

07. [11:56] The Eleven

08. [14:24] Mississippi Half Step/Uptown Toodeloo ->

09. [03:22] Playin' in the Band ->

10. [07:56] Foolish Heart

11. [03:12] crowd/banter

Encore:

12. [06:47] G-L-O-R-I-A

Edited by Guest

Worcester - night 2

(Set 1)

Here Comes Sunshine

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl

Alligator

Deal

Hell In A Bucket

Cream Puff War>

Good Lovin'

(Set 2)

Scarlet Begonias>

Fire On The Mountain (Warren vocals)...

NO MICKEY RAP!!!!

no repeats so fat which is pretty impressive. although there will be at least one repeat tonight with Samson still due. The Sunday sermon.

4-19-dcu-center.gif

(Set 1)

Here Comes Sunshine

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl

Alligator

Deal

Hell In A Bucket

Cream Puff War>

Good Lovin'

(Set 2)

Scarlet Begonias>

Fire On The Mountain (Warren vocals)>

Rhythm Devils>

Space>

Satisfaction>

Born Cross-Eyed>

Slipknot!>

Let It Grow>

Uncle John's Band>

The Wheel>

Lovelight

(Encore)

Samson and Delilah

on-the-road-again.jpg

Pre-show

After a largely cold and rainy day and evening on Saturday, Worcester on Sunday was a perfect Spring morning, sunny, cool, but beautiful. Arriving to the venue a few minutes before the crew, it was fun sitting in the empty stands for a while to write and hear nothing but the hum of the building’s systems. As I mentioned yesterday, this building really has a huge amount of character. It was built in 1982, with its first-ever concert being Frank Sinatra in September 1982, just like the Knickerbocker in Albany in March, 1990. Multi-night runs are interesting in that you walk out of the venue at night with trash and other debris all over the floors, and arrive the next day to a near-spotless facility. I’ll be hopping off the road after tonight’s show to get some work done on other projects, but I’m looking forward to meeting people at the Rhino booth in the concourse. In my absence, feel free to stop in to say hi to Sherri, who is running the booth. Outside of the venue today, on such a beautiful day, people started arriving early to hang out in the sun, walk around and check out this very cool historic city. The staff of the venue was busy discussing the playoff hockey game last night, Worcester at Hartford, which the Worcester Sharks lost 5-3. But, the local Boston Bruins won their game, which had the Massachusetts hockey fans smiling. Oh, off to soundcheck. More later…

Set 1

A rousing taste of 1973 to open the show, Here Comes Sunshine, featured some as-expected tight jams and great work by Warren. That was followed by a bluesy Good Morning Little Schoolgirl, with Warren and Bobby trading some intricate interplay. A superb surprise came next, Alligator, sung by Phil with terrific percussion work by Billy and Mickey. The vibe in the room is very smooth and mellow, which isn’t to say it’s not pumped with energy. Everyone is dancing, but it does feel like a Sunday show. To keep the high energy going, they ripped into a nice Deal, with some excellent solos by Warren and Jeff. Next up, Hell In A Bucket! Yes, indeed, we’re enjoying the ride. That then went into an even bigger surprise than Alligator, a hugely impressive Cream Puff War! And it was realllllly good! To end it all off they played another 1966 era song, Good Lovin’. All in all this was a very, very good set. The second set ought to be excellent.

Set 2

There’s just something very Worcester-like about Scarlet>Fire, and so it seemed very appropriate that they’d begin the second set with a smoking hot Scarlet>Fire. The instrumental break in Scarlet was nailed to perfection by Warren leading the way and everyone hammering away in unison. Again, Bobby sounds great, both in the mix and his performance. Likewise Phil sounds amazing. Derek Featherstone really has it dialed in at the soundboard. Warren nailed a few solos in Fire that had the entire house cheering ecstatically. Oh, lest I forget, a few nights ago they played Bertha, and I forgot to mention that on the jam they nailed that terrific bomb that Phil and Bobby coordinate on the “3.†For an example of that check out the Bertha on the Egypt 1978 DVD. Anyhow, back to Sunday in Worcester. Scarlet>Fire went into another insane Rhythm Devils. Followed by a spacey Space, the improv of the show went into a powerful Satisfaction that had the entire building singing along, the beginning of a sequence that was as good as anything on the tour. Then came more fireworks with Born Cross-Eyed>Slipknot!>Let It Grow. It was truly a spectacular sequence of music, both in song selection and execution. Kudos again to the lighting crew of Dan English, Groove and the rest of a hard-working and talented crew. It looks great, guys! Next up was the tour’s first repeat, Uncle John’s Band (well, Slipknot! was a repeat, but it was out of its normal context of Help and Franklin’s), amazing considering this is the sixth show of the tour. So far this little sequence after Satisfaction featured music from 1968, 1975, 1973 and 1970. Nice. This was a great sing-a-long version that had the place singing as one. Epic! Next up, from Jerry’s excellent first solo album, came a very smooth version of The Wheel with a long and winding introduction. It also featured a cool calypsoish ending with Bobby again singing some terrific stuff at the end. Between Hell In A Bucket, Satisfaction and this version of The Wheel, Bobby’s singing has been exceptional, like it’s 1989 again. Next up was Lovelight, a great way to end the set, and what loads of people around here are raving is the best show of the tour so far. Very good stuff from start to finish. Warren played some really nice leads. Then, for the encore, hanging out with recordingman David R., we speculated on the encore, completely forgetting it was Sunday, and of course they played a rocking Samson and Delilah. What a way to end the night, and a great two nights in Worcester. Thanks again, Worcester!

Edited by Guest

Albany was great.

Only downside - in my opinion - was that a lot of people seem to forget how Dead shows work. Or at least, the formula that worked for so many years.

ie. first set songs - second set jams. In Albany it would have had a lot more flow if the Other One was coming out of Space instead of pre-drums - but hey.

So if you're going, be prepared for long spacey jams. Sometimes they go somewhere. Sometimes they get off the tracks. Can't play it safe all the time.

As your lawyer, I advise you to take waaaaaaaaaay more drugs......preferably ones that force you to stay seated.

Seriously though that is a killer setlist. Too bad about everything else.

Agreed. By the time I realised I needed to be way higher it was tough scoring, though I did try.

Worcester was way better for me. I had a great time on mini-tour!