Jambands.ca

The Dead - Spring 2009

Kanada Kev

Yup, i was there too. Joe Ely and then Bruce Cockburn opened :D

I miss those shows at the old Ontario Place Forum.

scaring the children tour.

wasn't michelle shocked also on the bill? they all did the encore together.

saw a bunch of cool shows at that venue.

men without hats

klaatu

BB king

little feat

monkees

turtles

mamas and papas

blue peter

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5-5-all-state-arena.gif

(Set 1)

Dancing In The Streets

Tennessee Jed

Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion)

Mr. Charlie

They Love Each Other

Touch of Grey

Weather Report Suite

(Set 2)

Truckin'

Throwing Stones

Unbroken Chain

Drums

Space

Come Together

Hell In A Bucket

I Know You Rider

(Encore)

Brokedown Palace

on-the-road-again.jpg

Recap of Set 1

Happy Cinco de Mayo! The craziest thing, earlier today I was listening to the Grateful Dead in Chicago on 5/12/77, and listened to that excellent Dancing In The Street that ended the first set, thinking to myself, ‘what a great song.’ And then the band opens with it tonight, very cool. I certainly didn’t call for it (I gave up on that a very, very long time ago after countless wrong calls), but it is nice when the band plays something you were hoping for. And as the next song, Tennessee Jed, another song played on 5/12/77, although back then it was played before Dancing, not after as it was tonight. And then a song that DEFINITELY wasn’t played on 5/12/77, The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion), the Grateful Dead’s non-hit single from their first album. It was one of the first tunes that got me hooked on the band. Heard back-to-back with Uncle John’s Band, I couldn’t believe a band could sound this different three years apart, but still create music that was so good but diverse. This is followed by Mister Charlie, always fun to hear, especially a touch of Pigpen is a nice tribute to great Grateful Dead frontman. Then comes another song that was also played on 5/12/77, They Love Each Other. There’s really nothing to this but coincidence, and I’m really only pointing it out because I was so jazzed listening to the Dancing In the Street from Chicago ’77 that it has me paying attention. They then follow this up with Touch of Grey, and I’ll now shut up on the 5/12/77 thing. Hey, did you know that just across town, the Chicago Blackhawks hockey team is hosting a playoff hockey game against the Vancouver Canucks? And oddly, the Blackhawks scored to make the score 3-1 (for Vancouver) just as The Dead kicked into Touch of Grey. How’s that for useless trivia? Capping it all with Weather Report Suite is a great ending to a first set, just like the old days.

Set 2

Chicago, New York, Detroit, it’s all the same street… Truckin’ to open the set is always so much fun, and something the Grateful Dead didn’t do all that often in their last decade or two. I think I only saw the GD play this as a second set opener once, at that mighty fine 1989 Cal Expo run, on 8/4/89. Another classic Grateful Dead song, this one from the 1980s, features next in the show, Throwing Stones, a tune I never tire of. Next is another song from the 1970s, Unbroken Chain, in its third appearance of the tour. This was a song played at the final Grateful Dead show, right here in Chicago on 7/9/95. Whereas that version came out of Drums and Space, this version went into this sequence, which is followed by Come Together. This band does Beatles songs very well. Jumping back into the same territory as the pre-Drums Throwing Stones, up next is Hell in A Bucket from the mid 1980s. With the last song, to remind us where yesterday’s first night in Chicago began, they wrap everything up with I Know You Rider, a cool way to bookend the shows here in the windy city. A Brokedown Palace encore is the perfect way to send the tour on its way to the mile high city, Denver, for a show on Thursday. Although it seems it all just began yesterday, the tour has been rolling for more than three weeks, and there are only five shows left. Plus Rothbury.

I hadn't thought about the China opener first night and the Rider closer second night. Cool.

I would love to hear Rider - get to that point where EVERYONE in the building is singing/shouting at the top of their lungs and you can feel every little hair ont he back of your neck.

I love the grateful dead.

5-7-pepsi-center.gif

(Set 1)

Feel Like A Stranger

Casey Jones

Loser

Easy Wind

Crazy Fingers

Lost Sailor>

Saint Of Circumstance

(Set 2)

Deep Elem Blues (acoustic)

Me and My Uncle (acoustic)

Whiskey in the Jar (acoustic)

The Weight

Space

Ramble On Rose

King Solomon's Marbles

Space

Drums

China Doll

Cumberland Blues

Not Fade Away

(Encore)

Ripple

on-the-road-again.jpg

Set 1 Recap

Back in the Mile High City, where many great shows were played through the years. As I mentioned in the historical look back at the Grateful Dead’s visits to Denver, not only was Denver an always-good stop on the GD’s touring schedule, but so was Red Rocks, from 1978 to 1987, and by all accounts the Grateful Dead loved playing here. For some odd reason, I’ve encountered many angry people today via phone and email, and am not sure why that is, but hopefully the music will bring people to a more positive place. If you get confused (or angry…), listen to the music play. As others have noted, Phil, Bobby and Warren have had a busy day, singing the national anthem at today’s Giants-Rockies baseball game. In terms of the show, Feel Like A Stranger has always been a favourite (excuse the Canadian spelling…) opener. Bob’s voice on this tour has sounded better than it has in a while, hitting his highs when he needs to, and able to do the end-of-Bucket falsetto and all the other good things he does vocally. Casey Jones seems like a good way to follow up the jam in Stranger, followed by Loser, always fun to hear. Earlier today I heard the stellar version from 3/24/90 in Albany, really one of the finest from the Brent era. I am partial to the 1971 version of this song, but some of the later versions were real mind-blowers. With Easy Wind up next, I’ve got admit I could listen to the songs from Workingman’s Dead any night. Warren’s been doing this song justice with some appropriately growly vocals. Crazy Fingers arrives next, and thanks to Zomby’s helpful chart (thanks Zomby!), four of the first five songs are seeing their third appearance of the tour, with the exception being Loser, which is making its second tour appearance. Hey, I’m a sucker for trivia like this. They follow this with the mighty fine Weir-Barlow twofer, Lost Sailor>Saint of Circumstance. I always enjoy a first set tape that features a Deal or Don’t Ease Me In after Sailor>Saint to end a set, but this is a pretty good ending nonetheless.

Set 2 Recap

A nice little acoustic sequence to open the set, the fourth time on the tour they’ve done this, with a couple of more tour-firsts mixed in, specifically Deep Elem Blues and Whiskey in the Jar. Me and My Uncle in Denver is always appropriate, and loads of fun. The percussion jam and Space were a little different. Ramble On Rose has been played really well on this tour, so it’s good to see it pop up again in the rotation. King Solomon’s Marbles allows this band to really show how tight it can be, which is followed by a bit of an odd sequence, with China Doll, Cumberland Blues and Not Fade Away. One very cool thing about this band on this tour is that song placement is no longer predictable. Cumberland Blues after Space? It just never would have happened after 1974 with the Grateful Dead, just as the mid-first set Crazy Fingers was pretty much gone from the setlist after 1976. Likewise, a Ripple encore was pretty darn rare, with the 9/3/88 version being the only one I can think of by the Grateful Dead. A quick breeze through Denver, and no one’s noticed but the band’s all packed and gone, and now it’s on to L.A. for a one-night stand at the funky old Forum in Inglewood.

20090507__20090508_B02_CD08DEAD~p1.JPG

From left, members of The Dead rock group Warren Haynes, Bob Weir and Phil Lesh pause for a photograph after singing the national anthem before the San Francisco Giants played the Colorado Rockies in a baseball game in Denver on Thursday, May 7, 2009. The group was scheduled to play a concert later Thursday in Denver. (AP | David Zalubowski)

After 18 shows:

4 tunes played 4 times (Samson, UJB, Touch, Cumberland).

30 tunes played 3 times.

62 tunes played twice

52 tunes played once.

SONG SHOW #

A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (acoustic) 2,16

Alabama Getaway (Warren vocals) 2,9

All Along The Watchtower 1,11,16

Alligator 6,14

Althea 5,15

Bertha 3,11

Big Boss Man 3

Big Railroad Blues 2

Big River 7

Bird Song 5,12

Black Peter 11

Born Cross-Eyed 6,10,16

Box of Rain 8,14

Brokedown Palace 10,17

Brown Eyed Women 4,9,15

Built To Last 8,16

Candyman 8

Casey Jones 4,13,18

Cassidy 2,10

Caution (Do Not Stop On The Tracks) 1,8,14

China Cat Sunflower 5,10.16

China Doll 18

Cold Rain and Snow 4,14

Come Together 2,17

Comes A Time 4,14

Cosmic Charlie 1,10

Cumberland Blues 4,11,15,18

Crazy Fingers 3,13,18

Cream Puff War 6

Cryptical Envelopment 10,15

Dancin in the street 5,17

Dark Star 2,9,12

Days between 5,13

Deal 6,13

Dear Mr. Fantasy 12

Death Don't Have No Mercy 9

Deep Elem Blues 18

Dire Wolf 8

Doin' That Rag 3,13

Don't Ease Me In 9

Dupree's Diamond Blues 5,14

Easy Wind (Warren vocals) 2,9,18

Estimated Prophet 1,12

Eyes of the World 7,12

Feel Like A Stranger 5,12,18

Fire On The Mountain (Warren vocals) 6

Fire On The Mountain (w/ Branford Marsalis) 12

Foolish Heart 3

Franklin's Tower 1,12,15

Friend Of The Devil 14

Gimme Shelter 10

Good Lovin' 6,15

Good Morning Little Schoolgirl 6,15

Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion) 17

Glory Road (acoustic) 2,11

G-L-O-R-I-A 3

Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad 5,9,16

Greatest Story Ever Told 11

Hard To Handle 14

Hell In A Bucket 6,17

Help On The Way 1,15

Here Comes Sunshine 6

He's Gone 1,10,15

High Time 3,12

Iko Iko 8,16

I Need A Miracle 1,16

I Know You Rider 5,13,17

Imagine 16

Into The Mystic 4,16

It’s All Over Now 7

It’s All Over Now Baby Blue 9

Jack Straw 1,9,14

Johnny B Goode 5

King Solomon's Marbles 2,11,18

Knockin' On Heaven's Door 9

Lazy River Road 2

Let It Grow 6

Liberty 8,16

Little Red Rooster 11

Looks Like Rain 9

Loose Lucy 7,14

Loser 7,18

Lost Sailor 9,18

Lovelight 6

Maggie's Farm 7

Mason's Children 3,15

Me and Bobby McGee 7

Me and My Uncle 8,18

Mexicali Blues 16

Midnight Hour 8

Milestone 5,12

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo 3,14

Momma Tried 7

Morning Dew 15

Mountains of the Moon 5

Mr. Charlie 8,17

New Potato Caboose 1,12

New Minglewood Blues 4

New Speedway Boogie 3,14

Not Fade Away 4,18

One more Saturday night 5,10,15

Passenger 2

Peggy-O (acoustic) 2,9,16

Playing In The Band 3,7,14

Playing In The Band (Reprise) 14

Pride of Cucamonga 2,13.16

Promised land 7

Ramble On Rose 7,13,18

Revolution 8,15

Ripple 2,11,18

Row Jimmy 11

Saint of Circumstance 9,18

Samson And Delilah 1,6,11,15

Satisfaction 6

Scarlet Begonias 6,12

Shakedown Street 1,10,14

Ship Of Fools 10

Sittin' On Top Of The World 13

Slipknot! 1,6,15

Smokestack Lightning 7

So Many Roads 8

Stagger Lee 8

Standing On The Moon 3,16

Stella Blue 7

St. Stephen 3,10,15

Sugar Magnolia (with Tipper Gore on drums) 2

Sugar Magnolia 14

Sugaree 4,10

Tennessee Jed 8,17

Terrapin Station 5,13

The Eleven 3,10

The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion) 8

The Other One 4,10,15

The Music Never Stopped 1,13

The Weight 11,18

The Wheel 6,13

They Love Each Other 7,17

Throwing Stones 4,17

Till The Morning Comes 11

Tomorrow Never Knows 11

Touch Of Grey 1,9,13,17

Truckin' 1,7,17

Turn On Your Love Light 12

Unbroken Chain 4,10,17

Uncle John's Band 2,6,10,15

US BLUES 12

Viola Lee Blues 4,11

Wang Dang Doodle 16

Weather Report Suite Part 1 8,17

West LA Fadeaway 4,11,16

When I Paint My Masterpiece 9

Whiskey in the Jar 18

Women Are Smarter 13

space/ 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,910.11,13,14,15,16,17,18

rhythm devils drums 1,2,3,45,6.7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18

4/28*With Branford Marsalis

Fire On The Mountain*

Birdsong*

Feel Like A Stranger*

Turn On Your Love Light*

(Set 2)

Estimated Prophet>*

Milestones>*

Drums>*

Space*

Dear Mr. Fantasy>*

Dark Star>*

Eyes Of The World*

(Encore)

Franklin's Tower*

Whoa ... sick setlist:

5-9-the-forum.gif

(Set 1)

Viola Lee Blues

Bertha

Viola Lee Blues

Caution

Viola Lee Blues

Black Peter

Cosmic Charlie

(Set 2)

Shakedown Street

New Speedway Boogie

Scarlet Begonias

Fire on the Mountain

Drums >

Space

Dark Star

Wharf Rat

Dark Star

Satisfaction

(Encore)

One More Saturday Night

on-the-road-again.jpg

Set 1

I’d forgotten about the funky yellow and orange seats in the Forum. It’s so funky! The first set has an unreal list to it. The last time Bobby, Phil, Bill and Mickey played Viola Lee Blues and Caution in the same set in LA was 11/10/67 at the Shrine. That’s pretty darn cool. I like the idea of adding a couple of cool early 1970s songs around Viola Lee Blues, Bertha and Black Peter. And to cap things off with a big Cosmic Charlie is a terrific way to end what is a crazy-looking set. It just hit me that I ran into Fred Savage at this venue a few years ago and said “Doogie Howser!†Oops. The tour is now 19 shows old and they keep playing remarkable setlists.

Set 2

I heard a lot of people hoping for a few specific songs tonight, and the first set took care of all of the Viola Lee Blues requests, and the second set started out with the much-hoped-for Shakedown Street, followed by another New Speedway Boogie, played so well on this tour. Everything from Workingman’s Dead has been played exceptionally well on the tour so far. The somewhat-expected Scarlet>Fire came next, as it was hard not to be thinking about the fires in Santa Barbara. They then veer into the always-impressive-on-this-tour Rhythm Devils part of the show, during which Bill and Mickey have been conjuring some incredibly way-out-there sounds. Space. Out of Space comes Dark Star, which is another of the many songs loads of people were talking about in the lead-up to the show. There are very few classic Grateful Dead songs they haven’t yet played on this tour, and Wharf Rat was one of them. No longer, as the first Wharf Rat of the tour was busted out tonight in LA. Another taste of Dark Star and then a double dose of Bob Weir rock-n-roll with Satisfaction and One More Saturday Night seems like an appropriate way to end a show in LA. Now homeward bound to two shows in the Bay Area…

5-10-shoreline-amphitheatre.gif

(Set 1)

Help On The Way

Slipknot!

Franklin's Tower

Good Lovin'

Cassidy

Bird Song

Uncle John's Band

(Set 2)

Unbroken Chain

That's It For The Other One

Rhythm Devils

Space

Sugaree

Gimme Shelter

Sugar Magnolia

(Encore)

Saint Stephen

The Eleven

Touch Of Grey

on-the-road-again.jpg

Set 1

Back in the Bay Area, in the final week of the tour, with a bit of a late start to the show. I’ve got to say, as cool as a split Help>Slip>Franklin’s can be, to my ears it’s always best to hear it grouped together as it was in 1975, and tonight’s opening of this classic sequence is always one of my favourite openers. Phil’s tone during the opening of Help on this tour has been magnificent, and Jeff has been stealing the show during Slipknot! every time they’ve played it so far. Following this with two classic Weir-sung tunes that were pretty common here at Shoreline “back in the day,†Good Lovin’ and Cassidy, adds to a good vibe in the setlist so far. They do tend to rise to the occasion, especially when playing at home in front of a sold out crowd. The Bird Songs on this tour have been suitably exploratory, making this a nice tune to appear in the first set, and as I mentioned yesterday, the Workingman’s Dead songs have been good on this tour, so Uncle John’s Band is good to see pop up again.

Set 2

An Unbroken Chain opener, which seems appropriate as this song was played at the very last Grateful Dead shows played here at Shoreline, on 6/4/95. The Other One suite drops into Rhythm Devils, a rather quick two songs before Drums, but the percussive improv included, as DR called it, “crazy fire dancers.†Cool stuff. Space drops into Sugaree, one of the only times I can think of Sugaree out of Space, but on this tour, the only real setlist mantra to follow is to expect the unexpected. The tour’s second Gimme Shelter comes next. Sugar Magnolia always ends a set in the best way, on a huge high, with everyone smiling, so this is a most welcome close to second set. A nice, long break between shows awaits the band, a well-earned break. Warren, of course, will be playing in town with the Allmans, but for the rest of the guys, it’s time for some sleep. But, back to Shoreline on Thursday for the tour’s penultimate show.

Who's got my headie transponder that I can borrow to take up to Frontier Town? Figure I'll miss the end of Mark Wilson, a chunk of Tim Turvey (see some during set break) and the start of Diesel Dog...

Anybody?

I've been trying to figure out all day how hard it'd be to install it in my car, but I can't figure it out...

Would I get enough service to stream it via iPhone? Probably not...

Wow ... another killer setlist. What a way to close the show out after Space through the encore :D

5-14-shoreline-amphitheatre.gif

(Set 1)

Jack Straw

U.S. Blues

Mason's Children

Ship Of Fools

Friend Of The Devil

Standing On The Moon

Lady With A Fan

Terrapin Station

Standing On The Moon

(Set 2)

Estimated Prophet

New Potato Caboose

Born Cross-Eyed

Dear Mr. Fantasy

Drums

Space

Morning Dew

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

(Encore)

Scarlet Begonias

Fire On The Mountain

Deal

on-the-road-again.jpg

Set 1

This is such a bizarre show in that it was scheduled four full days after the previous the show here. Split runs weren’t entirely unheard of for the Grateful Dead, with two shows at the Philadelphia Spectrum in January, 1979 split by a week coming to mind, but they were pretty rare. This second Shoreline show starts out with five pre-1975 songs, always a good sign to these ears. The opening Jack Straw was followed by US Blues, with an appearance by none other than Hippie Bill waving the flag. Way to go Bill!!!! Mason’s Children was a real standout at its first appearance on the tour in Charlottesville (I think…), so it’s nice to see it pop again for its third appearance of the tour. A couple of earliesh Garcia-Hunter tunes in Ship o Fools and Friend of the Devil are followed up by a later era Garcia-Hunter medley of Standing On The Moon-Terrapin-Standing On The Moon. Pretty cool. By all indications, they’re ready to pull out all the stops for the last Bay Area set of the tour.

Set 2

I think I mentioned here that Estimated Prophet to open a second set, although somewhat rare for the Grateful Dead, was always a great opener. This is one of my favourite Weir tunes, so it’s been good to see it appear on this tour. Following this was a classic 1968 sequence of New Potato Caboose and Born Cross-Eyed, two tunes dropped by the Grateful Dead by 1969, so this has been a good tour for this type of song. One song I saw early on in the tour, in Worcester, was Cream Puff War, unfortunately played only that time on the tour. Not only is it a great little song, but it was played really well in its one and only performance in Worcester. I have really come to appreciate the entire alternate chorus of this song (both words and melody) that was included on the Rare Cuts and Oddities 1966 CD a few years ago. Check it out if you haven’t heard that album. Aside from that really cool Cream Puff War, there are 18 or so really good rare cuts. And oddities. From 1966. Dear Mr. Fantasy next has always been a good Shoreline song, as the venue, to me, is always associated with Brent’s era. Yes, they played loads of non-Brent shows 1991-1995, but the GD started playing here in 1987, and it was their outdoor Bay Area home during some very good Brent years. Another cool Rhythm Devils and Space sequence leads into the tour’s second Morning Dew, likely one of the most-desired songs to hear on this tour. Going back to the 1968 well as they’d done earlier in the set, China Cat Sunflower comes out of Dew. I’ve heard a few people seeing shows on this tour say “I hope they play stuff from Anthem and Aoxomoxoa,†and for those of you who were hoping for that type of stuff, this is a good set. Add to that a Dew from the first album in 1967, and you have some dyn-o-mite! (hey, I saw Good Times on TV the other night…) older Grateful Dead stuff. Add to that I Know You Rider, and you have an always-great way to end a set. After the encore on Sunday at the first Shoreline show, a few people were speculating if they’d try to do something extended for this encore, or would they do a more standard one song encore then head north. The former guess won out, with a triptych of great songs, Scarlet>Fire>Deal. Add the last two encores up and you pretty much have an entire set of great songs. Pretty darn cool. Safe travels as you go north…

The show up to the Dead. Doobies and ABB ;)

618005.jpg

Doobie Brothers Setlist:

Take Me In Your Arms

Jesus Is Just Alright

Dangerous

Rockin’ Down The Highway

Nobody

Back To The Chateau

Guy Allison piano solo>

Takin’ To The Streets

Don’t Start Me Talkin’

Little Bitty Pretty One