Jambands.ca

Good Job IKEA

mattm

I'm not sure what you mean Ollie' date=' are you refering to the cloth bags?[/quote']

Not purely cloth, they seem to be made of some sort of synthetic material. I raise the point not to be a shit disturber, just an observation I've been thinking about for a while and I really do wonder if we aren't just introducing a load more of crap into the environment and not really affecting any change.

All good, I certianly wasn't thinking your trying to cause shit, I was only curious, nothing more. I've never used those so I can't really say much about them.

phorbesie: not every store offers those, mine were purchased at food basics if I remember correctly a couple years ago and are all cloth.

[edit to add]

ahh a quick edit, so disregard the "every store" comment. Thats why I asked, I wasn't sure which he was refering to. But thanks.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All good, I certianly wasn't thinking your trying to cause shit, I was only curious, nothing more. I've never used those so I can't really say much about them.

I didn't think you were, just covering my bases in case that's the impression others were getting. I think this board is giving me a complex. ;)

As Matt Power notes in this month's issue of Wired, hybrids get great gas mileage but it takes 113 million BTUs of energy to make a Toyota Prius. Because there are about 113,000 BTUs of energy in a gallon of gasoline, the Prius has consumed the equivalent of 1,000 gallons of gasoline before it reaches the showroom. Think of it as a carbon debt -- one you won't pay off until the Prius has turned over 46,000 miles or so.

Nice little article from wired... about how it is technically more green to purchase a used vehicle with good mileage than a hybrid.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/05/the-ultimate-pr.html

How many of these "Green Thinking" Prius driving will ditch the vehicle before 50,000 km...?

Edited by Guest

I feel very strongly that the Expectant Mothers parking spots are a load of crap and just had this discussion with a good friend who recently had a baby. She said that if there were no spots close to the door for her, she would just go home. Granted, she was so swollen, it looked like she had collagen injected into her lips, toes and fingers. However, I find it hard to believe she could waddle around the grocery store for 30 minutes, but the extra 2 minutes to the far side of the parking lot did her in! And why wasn't her knocker upper out there getting the groceries?

Needless to say, we're not very good friends anymore.

(Just kidding, I love you Erica!)

Nice little article from wired... about how it is technically more green to purchase a used vehicle with good mileage than a hybrid.

That's some killer lateral thinking!

And it sort of goes hand in hand with my question about the re-usable bags. How much energy is being put into producing them in the first place?

We need to look at the whole cycle of production. Not just, "Hey this is green, cool!"

And it sort of goes hand in hand with my question about the re-usable bags. How much energy is being put into producing them in the first place?

We need to look at the whole cycle of production. Not just, "Hey this is green, cool!"

I saw a report on TV a little while ago that said that plastic bags were actually better (in the sense of being less bad) for the environment than paper bags. Plastic bags start out life as natural gas, which is fairly abundant and can be extracted and transported (via pipeline) cheaply and cleanly. Paper bags, on the other hand, start out as trees, which need to be cut down, transported by truck, and put through nasty chemical processes to be refined into paper. I'd want to see the details and the numbers for each process, but it's an interesting perspective.

Aloha,

Brad

Man, my world is getting turned upside down. First plastic bags are bad, now they're good, and paper bags were good, now they are bad. You know what else? Fista told me last night that Milk is essentially cigarettes in liquid form. Everything good is bad and everything bad is good. Thanks alot guys.

That's some killer lateral thinking!

We need to look at the whole cycle of production.

Are you going to head up that study? When? How much energy and money will it take to do that? Why not just bring some reusable bags to the store when you're loading up on booze and quit complainin' ?

Are you going to head up that study? When? How much energy and money will it take to do that? Why not just bring some reusable bags to the store when you're loading up on booze and quit complainin' ?

What study? I just meant that we as consumers should think about the where a product comes from, how it's made, etc. instead of just buying anything with a green sticker slapped on it and hoping for the best.

Sorry for thinking.