Jambands.ca

5 things you didn't know about SNL

bouche

What I do know is that SNL hasn't been funny or relevant since the late 80s.

more like late 70s.

actually, that's not entirely true. it's had its ups and downs. even in its heydey there were only a few standout skits in each episode.

there are some funny bits here and there these days. they are just fewer and farther between.

The show was great this past fall with the election stuff.

I think the funniest era of SNL was the one-off 1984-85 year that included: Billy Crystal, Martin Short, Harry Shearer, Jim Belushi, Rich Hall and Christopher Guest. What made that year extra special was the frequent guest hosts such as Eddie Murphy (he did White Like Me, James Brown in the hot-tub etc... as a guest host), Spinal Tap and The Folksmen.

I think the funniest era of SNL was the one-off 1984-85 year

How convenient that your favorite era of SNL was the same time as later-day highschool. My guess is that Betty finally let you stay up until midnight on Saturdays.

I should have prefaced that that year was very consistent, comedy-wise. Even the early days were hit and miss. Still, nothing beats Dan Ackroyd as Jimmy Carter calmly talking down a guy tripping on acid and asking if the guy has any Allman Brothers.

SNL was very 'relevent' in the 2008 US Presidential election.

that's very true.

fwiw, i dont think SNL was "relevant" when it was actually on in the late-70s. some skits and characters became "classics" but weren't seen as such at the time and a lot of the early stuff is awful. animal house helped SNL more than SNL helped animal house ... zero point zero ...

besides there were only three or four TV shows on at the time. its not like there were the hundreds of channels to choose from that all of you spoiled brats take for granted nowadays. :P

Norm Was fired over OJ?

Wiki:::

Macdonald's time with Saturday Night Live effectively ended in late 1997 when he was fired from the Weekend Update segment upon the insistence of NBC West Coast Executive Don Ohlmeyer, who pressured the producers to remove him, explaining that Macdonald was "not funny." Some believe that Don Ohlmeyer's friendship with O.J. Simpson — a celebrity whom Macdonald often antagonized on the show — may have fueled Ohlmeyer's decision.[1] Ohlmeyer denied the rumor, arguing that other NBC late-night comedians (e.g., Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien, and other SNL players) also constantly lampooned Simpson with little to no sanction, and that his decision was based solely on audience reaction through tapes he had personally reviewed. David Letterman and Howard Stern later insisted in interviews with Macdonald that Ohlmeyer was really just carrying out the work of producer Lorne Michaels, who was too cowardly to fire him directly.

I get told on an almost weekly basis that I sound like Norm Macdonald. It usually goes 'do you do voiceover work?', 'are you American?', 'are you an actor?'. My unilateral response is Norm Macdonald right.

Also I think people don't necessarily realize that Norm is the CBC's Neil McDonalds brother.

That is the most assinine and ill-conceived thing I've heard in years. SNL and Fey's Palin impression singlehandedly influenced perceptions significantly and played into the popular consciousness. If SNL was so irrelevant how come all politicians vie for coverage on this influential program?

Also Fred Armisen is fucking hilarious beyond words. From his first appearances as Fericito the latin nightclub comic to his so-on-point Obama ('I keep it cool'), to NY Governor David Paterson, to American Apparel's Dov Charney to so many other bits. The guy oozes funny. Will Forte is no fugging slouch either. Although I can't stand the new chick what's her name Kristen Wig. shudder

That is the most assinine and ill-conceived thing I've heard in years. SNL and Fey's Palin impression singlehandedly influenced perceptions significantly and played into the popular consciousness. If SNL was so irrelevant how come all politicians vie for coverage on this influential program?

Also Fred Armisen is fucking hilarious beyond words. From his first appearances as Fericito the latin nightclub comic to his so-on-point Obama ('I keep it cool'), to NY Governor David Paterson, to American Apparel's Dov Charney to so many other bits. The guy oozes funny. Will Forte is no fugging slouch either. Although I can't stand the new chick what's her name Kristen Wig. shudder

? Really? I agree with Jaimoe. Although there are always a few "moments" here and there (more cowbell) I haven't been able to sit through a whole episode in a looong time. I personally think Chris Farley was the last great comedian to be on the show.

And Kristen Wiig..new chick? Hasn't she been on the show since 2005? Do you really watch it? ;)

Watch it every week. She may have been a cast member for the past couple of years but did very small sketches it's only this year that she's a mainstream player with her own cast of characters.

I've got little love for Myers, Farley, even Farrell. I'd take Armisen anyday over all of them. It's sort of a next generation vs. classic trek scenario.

I get told on an almost weekly basis that I sound like Norm Macdonald. It usually goes 'do you do voiceover work?', 'are you American?', 'are you an actor?'. My unilateral response is Norm Macdonald right.

Also I think people don't necessarily realize that Norm is the CBC's Neil McDonalds brother.

The "most assinine and ill-conceived thing" you've heard in years? On Jambands? Really? Have you read the Phish/Sens threads? Aren't you the same guy that loves Jimmy Fallon?

As for the Palin parodies, I found none of them overly funny. Though I had people tell me over and over that they were funny. Timely? Yes, but the skits were very obvious. And SNL basically forced Fey to do the Palin parody. She did a good job, but Fey didn't have to work too hard to skewer Palin - an easy target. And the real Palin said things that were far more funny - and troubling - than anything from the Fey/Palin parodies.

SNL is hilarious only in that people still think it's hilarious. Loyalty laughs aren't real laughs.

As for the Palin parodies, I found none of them overly funny. Though I had people tell me over and over that they were funny. Timely? Yes, but the skits were very obvious. And SNL basically forced Fey to do the Palin parody. She did a good job, but Fey didn't have to work too hard to skewer Palin - an easy target. And the real Palin said things that were far more funny - and troubling - than anything from the Fey/Palin parodies.

No problem, you didn't find them funny. Fair enough. But Im not sure where you are getting the idea that SNL forced Fey to do these skits. She hasn't been a regular cast member since 2006. She was invited back as a guest and she accepted. Moreover, much of what Fey said during the parodies was actual text spoken by Palin herself - that's what a lot of people found so funny about it. As for Palin being an easy target, sure, she was. But it's unfair to assert that it didn't take incredible talent and sharp comedic acting skills on Fey's part to actually pull it off as well as she did. Many great artists makes what they do seem easy.