Jambands.ca

cell phones, providers, recommendations

snarfmaster C

i'm considering picking up pace towards the 20th century - thinking a cell phone might serve me well.

wondering what peoples' experiences are with providers, and with phones.

i'm concerned somewhat about coverage. i won't be in a major centre - how do i find out who will have good reception where i'll be?

also concerned about brain tumours. if i wrap my head in tinfoil will i be cool? will that fuck with my reception?

i'm also afraid of commitment, but i don't expect anyone here can help me with that.

thanks in advance for any help

c

i'm concerned somewhat about coverage. i won't be in a major centre - how do i find out who will have good reception where i'll be?

all the providers that i know of have coverage maps on their websites. not too detailed, but take a look and see.

I am still with Telus after all these years (10+ years now) and get reception at my property no problem.

I have the "chocolate" som'n or other phone

I highly recommend wrapping your head in foil...at least when you come visit me :)

I'm sure it will provide for some good laughs!

first a tv, now a cellphone!? You're so 1999 now ;)

I had a cellphone for a long time and thought it was necessary. As it turns out, when I canceled my service I didn't really need it and saved myself a good chunk of cash over the years.

When I did have one, I chose Rogers. They seem to have the best coverage, they have phones with SIM cards which are transferable rather than a cdma phone, and the have taken over FIDO, so you get their towers as well.

I had one for work for years so I got used to having it, then I didn't and I really didn't care except for constanting searching for quarters when I was out.

Telus Mobility Pay as You Go- sucks, no roll over, no billing so no explanation as to what you have used etc.

Bell Mobility- now on a plan that costs $27 a month with basically no restrictions, and I have yet to pay an overage fee at all. A dropped call here and there but nothing to whine about...

Rogers- great cell service, high prices.

I'm finding that Rogers has great service but man is it expensive; and what the fuck is with the lack of minutes? Is this a Canadian thing? It's like since I moved up here the clocks have rolled back a decade. In the states I had a national plan (no long-distance or roaming charges) and unlimited minutes for half of what I pay for the measly 500 minutes a month I get up here. What gives?

so, forgive me, all my life when anything cellphone related comes up i go into my quiet space. think about what i'll make for dinner, wonder what that person was thinking when they bought those shoes, laugh about some joke i heard a couple days ago, etc. ...as a result i have no idea who the providers even are. from this thread i've learned of bell, telus and rogers. any others to look into?

(starhead: i plan on getting rid of the tv for balance)

there are plenty of sites that are dedicated to detailed comparisons of canadian cell phone providers and plans. i think redflagdeals has a comparison. if you google 'cell phone plans canada' or something similar you might get some good results.

or make a list of what you want to use your phone for and how much you might use each service for, then go to the providers and see what plans fit your needs best.