Jambands.ca

The Dead on Letterman tonight

Basher

Bobby sounded horrible.

Was Phil in the mix?

I don't get why people feel the need to bash these guys. He really didn't sound too bad.

Bash away if you really feel the need to.

Agreed.

My guess - not necessarily directed at the above - is that these people never really "got it" in the first place. But hey. They will. And its sounding great to me.

You going to be at any Swifty?

I'm really hoping to find out that Rothbury decides to sell 1 day passes at the last minute. I'll be all over that shit. Seems like some of the other festivals are.

Anyone know if Rothbury tickets were cheap down there? I wouldn't be able to make it til late Friday or early Saturday...

Bobby sounded horrible.

Was Phil in the mix?

I don't get why people feel the need to bash these guys. He really didn't sound too bad.

Agreed.

My guess - not necessarily directed at the above - is that these people never really "got it" in the first place. But hey. They will. And its sounding great to me.

I'm really hoping to find out that Rothbury decides to sell 1 day passes at the last minute. I'll be all over that shit. Seems like some of the other festivals are.

Anyone know if Rothbury tickets were cheap down there? I wouldn't be able to make it til late Friday or early Saturday...

I have definitely "got it" and understand if this want directed at me. If it was, Im not going to get into some headier than though nonsense. But I undersand and LOVE the Grateful Dead and always will.

I really think Bobby did sound awful. A man is welcome to his opinion no? I asked if Phil was in the mix because I really heard no bottom end in the perfomrance and it was dominated by the drums and high end Warren. The song felt very hollow.

I'm glad people are loving hearing the songs by the boys again. To me, its just not there.

ughhh....

he you don't understand why people bash a dude cannot sound INCREDIBLE playing the SAME songs that he has been for 40+ years ?

He shouldn't sound too bad....no. He should sound THE like the best man!

meh, I think it sounded mostly good...but bobby was clearly having problems with the "She's got everything delightful" bits. It really should be flawless on national tv though. if they knew that they couldn't play this flawlessly, they should have moved onto something that warren sings.

What are you folks listening with. Man with my setup (which consists of a set of $30 earbuds which crank bass from my laptop-my main computer goes through a full stereo) Phil is all over this tune and it kicks ass at high volume.

As somebody who is interested in posting my music for folks to listen to on the internet I'm a little distressed to think that people on what is fundamentally a music oriented site listen to music from their cheesey computer or tv speakers and judge music accordingly.

It was like 35 years ago that Led Zeppelin refused to play music on tv because of the horrible sound. I find it strange that people with the kind of sophistication of the 21st century are limited similarly.

What are you folks listening with. Man with my setup (which consists of a set of $30 earbuds which crank bass from my laptop-my main computer goes through a full stereo) Phil is all over this tune and it kicks ass at high volume.

I'm with you. I have a pair of sony MDR-V600's connected to an M-Audio interface which seems to work great. This coming from YouTube? Wow! I agree. Let's appreciate the technology.

Phil sounds great. The band Sounds great. Warren...sounds great, Chimenti and the rhythm devils sound great (love Mickey's work in this).

However weir is off from the rest of the band. Especially in a section that he has probably sung a gazillion billion times. For me...that's pretty weir'd.

Perhaps he needs a shave.

am I being too harsh? I just don't see bob playing with those professionals anymore.

Edited by Guest

sorry - wasn't meant to be headier than thou or directed at you. the comments on the mix alone I don't think are really what Swifty and I are talking about. Its the general negativity about it all. I guess thats what happens in the internet age. Maybe Phil will bust out the Tom Thumb tonight.

Check out the sbds. The sound is great great great.

They do sound good, especially the FLACs. ;)

I'm in the process of uploading the 18 & 19th shows (SBDs) with cover art for a freind in NWT who is bandwidth challenged, if your interested I'm sure I could be persuaded to post the links.

Bobby sounded horrible.

Was Phil in the mix?

Agreed.

Ya Morgan, I'm going to be at Rothbury. I did not notice any tickets being sold for cheap last year, but we also arrived at noon and drove straight in. Glad to hear you got to see a couple shows and liked what you saw.

Hopefully Dylan will sit in with them at Rothbury!

People are free to like what they like and take away what they like of course.

That being said; back in the day we were actually surprised when the dead sounded pleasingly professional. It was a nice bonus and also a bit of a laugh when Bobby played the rock star. We didn't go hear them because they were the tightest most presentable band. They were a band who used their music to embody a philosophy in a way and a band that journeyed in a way that others didn't-and still don't.

They have lost a lot with the passing of Jerry but the core still are trying to live out their-and our dreams-it's a little harder to take without Jerry but they try......

Bobby was always the weaker singer and in fact I don't think he really was able to pull if off until the eighties when he found the right way to harness the power of his voice. In the seventies he was alright but his voice always had a shaky weakness to it. I'm not surprised that as he ages his voice is losing a little-it happens to them all....well most of them.....

And the band...they're just not made to be slick....in fact they have almost always come off poorly when making tv appearances or other events of note (ie Woodstock). It's almost as if the powers that be are making sure they don't become too palatable or mainstream.