Jambands.ca

Ray LaMontagne

zero

I know there's some fans in these parts. I really got into his performance on SNL and have been listening to him a lot since. I really love You Are The Best Thing- also his manner is really evincing. It was really interesting to see him on SNL as he wrapped up his tune and went to commercial, he just had this sort of wiped out modesty almost painful shyness striped across his face- sort of a fractured soul look I may know a bit too well.

You Are The Best Thing

i'm disappointed about a missed opportunity to see him in Montreal this month. A friend at work was getting tix and asked me if sharon and I would join him and his wife. We declined at the time because we already had just bought a bunch of tix for other things coming up.

Sure enough, when he showed up to his seat, there were people in it as there were 2 places with similar number/letter combinations. Personel guided him to his REAL seat. It was a private table up front with 2 strangers. Those 2 strangers could have been us.

I would have loved to see him that way.

I went to the Massey Hall show two weeks back, and it was AMAZING. The Toronto crowd was so respectfull, as Ray has terrible stage fright. His eyes seemed to be closed for the entire show, but the energy that comes from him is electric.

The band had elements of Neil Young, Gram Parsons, and I loved the country/folk sound with a great steel guitar player. The band played both acoustic and electric numbers and Ray also played 4 tunes by himself, one to close the encore that left smiles on so many faces when the show ended.

Honestly, I was stone cold sober for the show, but left feeling like I had partied at 'That Place' back in the day...it was an emotional rollercoaster.

Ray has such a unique voice, and he sounded great (the women all went crazy) His songs touch on subjects like heart ache, love and friendship and they totally captivate the audience. I could have listened to him play G-C-D all day long and recite the phone book.

Go and see him, you won't regret it.

Thanks for that Cully (miss ya buddy). I don't doubt it about the stage fright that was my sense or something like it seeing him on SNL. The arrangements with the band and horns though relatively sparse really sing. He also has the clout and sort of singular character that you don't really see of singer songwriters of this generation. He strikes me as almost out of his time, as if he would fit in with the likes of Van Morrison, James Taylor, Billy Joel - he does fit into that canon but I can't think of another artist to come along in awhile you can say that about certainly not John Mayer.