Jambands.ca

Prince on Guitar Hero

bouche

As much as I would love to see Prince's music show up on Rock Band...he's got every right to make this point and he's never been shy of stepping up to the plate and challenging shit.

Appearing on PBS' The Tavis Smiley show, e Prince Rogers Nelson--revealed he had been approached by Activision to license parts of his catalog for the Guitar Hero franchise. By his account, he turned them down outright on principle.

"Well, I ain't mad at them. I hear it made, like, $2 billion and they came to us and offered us a very small portion of that," explained Prince. "But I just think it's more important that kids learn how to actually play the guitar. It's a tough instrument--it's not easy. It took me a long time, and it was frustrating at first. And you just have to stick with it, and it's cool for people who don't have time to learn the chords or ain't interested in it, but to play music is one of the greatest things."

He's making a completely false assumption that everyone that picks up Guitar Hero is doing so because they find playing the real instrument too difficult. Does he also think people play Mario Kart because they can't drive?

I think he's just out of touch with current pop culture trends. His lack of a mainstream career would seem to support that.

Not quite sure what he's "challenging", to be honest, besides the intelligence of his fans and maybe making some good money for himself. But, I agree, he has every right to make his point. Like the rest of the free world.

I think he's just out of touch with current pop culture trends.

Sounds about right.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band increases gamers’ interest to own and play real instruments.

Guitar Center today announced the findings of a national survey linking the popular video games Guitar Hero and Rock Band to dramatic increases in the gamers’ interest to own and play real instruments. Not only did the survey confirm that the majority of those who play the games are more interested in picking up real instruments, it also revealed that most musicians who play the games use their real instruments more frequently as a result.

Among the survey’s specific findings:

Of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band players that do not currently play a musical instrument, two-thirds (67%) indicated that they are likely to begin playing a real instrument in the next two years.

Nearly three out of four (72%) musicians who play games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band have spent more time playing their real instrument(s) since they began playing these games.

Eight out of 10 (81%) of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band players that have been inspired to play an instrument because of the games would like to receive a musical instrument as a gift this winter holiday season.

“This spike of interest in playing actual instruments stemming from a video game is an unprecedented phenomenon,†explained Guitar Center’s Executive Vice President/CEO Norman Hajjar. “Most video games sell fantasy, but Guitar Hero and Rock Band are selling a dream that can be realized. These games plant an achievable goal in the heart of the player and that, in turn, drives our business.â€

Guitar Center has long been an advocate of music-related gaming. The retailer has been featured prominently as a virtual music store integrated into the actual game since Guitar Hero II, and has carried the physical product on store shelves since winter 2007.

And it’s not just commercial retailers sensing this trend. As the popularity of video games grow, academics are also seeing the value in games such as Guitar Hero and Rock Band as it relates to spawning a desire in people to play actual music.

“These games are a painless and fantastically seductive entrée to playing music,†said Dr. Larry Livingston, Music Director of the Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California. “They engage your mind, body and soul, creating a whole sense of the movement of music. Having tasted the experience, players may want to move from the simulated to the real. Therefore, it’s no surprise that these games have whetted the appetite for the real deal.â€

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/gaming

i agree that he's probably got the wrong impression, but at least he's got the courage to stand up for what's right in Prince's la-la land. Don't forget, if prince wants a camel delivered to his recording studio at 2:30 AM in the middle of winter, there is nothing wrong with that.

Courage? I don't understand what you mean. Aside from his fans who I guess would absolutely love to see his songs in game, who is he standing up to? I doubt the game developers are very concerned about it, I mean, with the amount money they already bring in with these games, and the number of bands out there willing to get massive free promo, a legion of new fans and probally the easiest money they have ever made.

Don't get me wrong, it really doesn't bother me if he does or doesn't let his songs be in games as I don't play GH or Rock Band, I just don't understand where your coming from.

Edited by Guest

Courage? I don't understand what you mean. Aside from his fans who I guess would absolutely love to see his songs in game, who is he standing up to? I doubt the game developers are very concerned about it, I mean, with the amount money they already bring in with these games, and the number of bands out there willing to get massive free promo, a legion of new fans and probally the easiest money they have ever made.

Don't get me wrong, it really doesn't bother me if he does or doesn't let his songs be in games as I don't play GH or Rock Band, I just don't understand where your coming from.

it wasn't clear that I was being facetious? Probably not the first post, but the second one I allude to prince's la-la land where only prince lives. If you haven't watched Kevin Smith's story on spending a week with Prince, it's worth the time investment. It's pretty long but entertaining nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_cLJ19HMg

i know he's wacked, and at the same time he's a freaking musical genius.