Jambands.ca

Grand Theft Bus to tour by train

AD

Lots of bands are going green by driving more fuel-efficient buses and vans, and by asking fans to bike or take transit to shows.

But on their upcoming cross-country tour, Canadian bands Share, Grand Theft Bus and the Olympic Symphonium are raising the bar even higher by taking one of the most fuel-efficient modes of transport: the train.

(And no - Grand Theft Bus isn't doing it because their bus was stolen, as the Dears' was last week!)

To boot, the bands scored free passes from VIA in exchange for performing en route. Here are the details from Share singer/songwriter Andrew Sisk:

Why did you decide to tour by train?

I had done a solo tour across Canada in 2007 on the train and it was something that I desperately wanted to do again with the band. It's a new experience, and that keeps things interesting.

How will it be different from touring by car, van or bus?

The thing about the railroad is that it was built by romantics. Highways were built by the same people who design big box stores but the railroads that cross the Canadian landscape seem natural and unobtrusive. It seems as though they chose the route because it was the most stunning rather than a more efficient way to get from point A to Point B.

Besides the scenery, the train allows you to get up and walk around whenever you want, meet people, have conversations, be more of a human. It's pretty much more enjoyable than any other form of travel.

What are you most looking forward to?

Actually getting sleep while being on tour.

What are the biggest challenges in touring by train?

You can't just stop whenever you want and get off for fresh air. As great as it is to be able to have so much space, you are still confined on the train for the trip. That can cause some cabin fever.

You're going to be performing on the train, too?

Via Rail is trading us passage on their train in exchange for us performing on the train. It's pretty sweet. We are going to mix some Canadian cover songs into our sets that will hopefully expose people to music they have either never heard or have not heard in a long while.

06/12/09 | Share (trio) - Montreal, PQ - The Green Room w/ Snailhouse

06/13/09 | Share (trio) - Guelph, ON - Wally's

06/15/09 | Share (trio) - Toronto, ON - The Cameron House w/ Julie Fader

06/16/09 | Share (trio) - Kingston, ON - The Livingroom

06/17/09 | Grand Theft Bus + Share + the Olympic Symphonium - Ottawa, ON - Mavericks

06/18/09 | Grand Theft Bus + Share - Toronto, ON - NXNE @ The Rivoli

06/19/09 | Grand Theft Bus + Share + the Olympic Symphonium - Calgary, AB - Dickens

06/20/09 | Grand Theft Bus + Share - Canmore, AB - The Canmore Hotel

06/22/09 | Grand Theft Bus + Share - Banff, AB - Rose & Crown

06/23/09 | Grand Theft Bus + Share - Kananaskis, AB - Woody's

06/24/09 | Grand Theft Bus + Share - Edmonton, AB - TBA

06/25/09 | Grand Theft Bus + Share - Jasper, AB - The Athabaska

06/26/09 | Grand Theft Bus + Share - Vancouver, BC - Jazz Festival @ The Media Club

Something's a bit fishy though - Toronto to Calgary in one day by train? Um, no.

Something's a bit fishy though - Toronto to Calgary in one day by train? Um, no.

I think the train trip might be a later leg of the tour. After the

06/26/09 | Grand Theft Bus + Share - Vancouver, BC - Jazz Festival @ The Media Club
date, according to Share's MySpace page, there are also the following dates:

29 Jun 2009 / 20:00 Via Rail on board performance (trio) Vancouver to Toronto route / Somewhere between Vancouver and Toronto

30 Jun 2009 / 20:00 Via Rail on board performance (trio) Vancouver to Toronto route / Somewhere between Calgary and Winnipeg

1 Jul 2009 / 20:00 / Via Rail on board performance (trio) Vancouver to Toronto route Somewhere between Winnipeg and Toronto

3 Jul 2009 / 20:00/ Via Rail on board performance (trio) Montreal to Moncton route

I actually looked into one-way flights from Philadelphia to Vancouver on June 28 to see if I could do this trip after Slip tour, but that seems a bit crazy...I think.

Aloha,

Brad