Jambands.ca

I ain't afraid of no sequel

Velvet

New Ghostbusters instalment moving forward, says Aykroyd

The long-discussed third Ghostbusters film could soon be heading to movie screens, according to Canadian actor Dan Aykroyd.

A third instalment of the 1980s-era paranormal exterminators comedy series is moving forward, starring Aykroyd and fellow original cast members Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, Ernie Hudson and Sigourney Weaver, he told the Los Angeles Times this week.

"We could be in production by winter."

Aykroyd and Ramis co-wrote the first two Ghostbusters movies, which were directed by Canadian Ivan Reitman.

The new instalment, news of which appeared first in industry reports in 2008, will be penned by Gene Stupinksy and Lee Eisenberg, best known as the executive producers of TV's The Office. The duo also teamed up with Ramis to script the upcoming Jack Black-Michael Cera comedy Year One.

Speaking at an industry conference in April, Ramis said the plot would likely feature the original Ghostbusters passing the torch to and mentoring a younger team.

Last fall, Murray also spoke of wanting to see female Ghostbuster characters in the new project. Aykroyd echoed the sentiment in his chat with the Times.

"Let's revisit the old characters briefly and happily and have them there as family but let's pass it on to a new generation," he said, adding that he could envision actresses such as Alyssa Milano and Eliza Dushku as part of the new film.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2009/05/21/ghostbusters-third-movie.html

Fred Armisen immediately made me think of Fred Willard.

So we got Danny McBride and Fred Willard. I know the latter is older but they can find a role for him. Maybe they can do a Lethal Weapon kind of thing. The young crazy upshot and the dude closing in on retirement. Yeah yeah yeah. Do it.