Jambands.ca

The Music Never stopped In ottawa

nattyMatty

This is probably my favourite thread in the last year or so. I'm taking in your new uploads and gonna critique them after I've drank enough. Watch out!

First tune.... hydrophonic.... I love the ringing guitar chords. Nice progression, nice use of diminished chords. You should come over sometime and show me how to make top notch home recordings like that.

I hope you realize I was kidding. I'd be up for any kind of critique; even something as mundane as 'the second song is more quiet than the rest' or 'the harmonies are off on.....'...

Since I'm doing everything from writing to playing all the parts and recording/'engineering' I never expect it to be anywhere near to or resembling perfect.

I do however try to make it as good as I am able considering the number of songs to work on and the amount of time I have to put in. Fresh ears can help point out the things that are more in need of attention. It still comes down to whether or not I get around to revisiting a song as I am always working on writing and recording new ones.

I usually get around to it though so bring it on.

While I was making dinner, (thai curried bok choy with a chicken and fresh organic veggie stir fry) I had your music playing and I thoroughly enjoyed what I heard. I was displaced thinking that I was listening to a serious release. Nice STUFF! seriously.

Thanks, I'm glad somebody may dig it!

I'm just uploading a few remixes to Windsmith-there's always something that needs fixing that becomes more apparent once I upload these things and realize someone else might listen to it.

I'll probably make a thread formally announcing the new uploads once I have a chance to listen to the two new 'albums' but am busy with work and then going to cottage country for a couple weeks so who knows when I'll get a chance to listen to it.....it needs to be done if for no other reason than sometimes there's an actual good old fashioned technical glitch....Arcadia for example had some kind of squeal right in the middle for some reason.....a simple remix fixed it....

...noone said it was going to be easy....

I should point out that as to the original subject of the poster and the compliments in general as to the posters we had for those gigs that the bulk of our excellent posters were made by Jeff Bass (TMNS bassist) and the poster for the last gig at the Carleton Tavern was made by Dave Ouellette our `synth`guitarist who runs the site you found the poster originally

Here`s a gallery of many of Jeff`s posters in case you missd it:

http://woolyproductions.com/tmns/gallery.html

I should point out that as to the original subject of the poster and the compliments in general as to the posters we had for those gigs that the bulk of our excellent posters were made by Jeff Bass (TMNS bassist) and the poster for the last gig at the Carleton Tavern was made by Dave Ouellette our `synth`guitarist who runs the site you found the poster originally

Here`s a gallery of many of Jeff`s posters in case you missd it:

http://woolyproductions.com/tmns/gallery.html

Because of seeing and admiring his work for all of those TMNS shows, ms.hux and I acquired his services to create our wedding poster. It really helped with our unique plans.

wedding_poster.jpg

Nice! I never saw that one.

Jeff does the odd thing I suppose; I suggested he go pro but I guess he just preferred doing what suited him when it suited him. I can understand that. It can lose a lot of the charm when you do it all the time for a living.

I discovered the same thing with music years ago. When it started to feel like a job I decided I'd rather just have a job and do music for the fun and inspiration rather than money-maybe it would be different if I was making a lot of money but I guess I'll never know......that's alright. At least I work with people who are making a career in performing their particular craft-I'm a stagehand so I get to see all different kinds of arts....

Jeff really is a great artist as I discovered back in the eighties. The only work of his I ever saw was an incomplete pastel (I think-my memory may be off) that was incredibly beautiful. For some reason he doesn't feel the urge to play with his gift in that regard. That piece is probably still unfinished....

He is an excellent recording engineer and pursues that more than anything else as well as mixing sound live. He is very gifted with electronics of all sorts and given the schematics can accomplish anything you can imagine. He is dogged in his pursuits once he gets going and can even somehow manage to find the most obscure schematics and things when he sets his mind to it.

He used to soup (sp?) up my guitar from time to time and we would joke how I would ask for a simple wiring modification and end up with a guitar that would slice bread and make toast....

A lot of people have run into his impatience and finickiness over the years-I don't know how many times he almost got us killed in the States over the years dealing with sticky situations being lost in some ghetto or other..... but he can also be the most generous and unashamed person in giving praise and encouragement when he feels it is needed where other people may have shied away.

....interesting cat.....

• 11 years later...