Jambands.ca

Barking Puppy advice

Schwa.

don't make a big deal when you leave. say goodbye to her 10 minutes before you go, then ignore her. when you come in, don't make a big deal either - wait ten minutes, let her out and don't reward her if she barks / jumps up in that time.

it's called separation anxiety. you can easily screw her up for life if you make a big deal of coming and going.

the crate is supposed to be her den and serves two purposes: a safe, comforable space for her to go to when she needs to get away, and; an enclosed space that forces her to rely on her instincts not to pee or poo in her own personal space. note that young dogs have small bladders and can only hold their pee for as many hours as their age in months plus 2. a 4mo dog can hold its pee for 6 hours. a 2mo dog can only hold its pee for 4 hours. if you crate a young dog for longer than it can possibly hold its pee, you undermine the instinct to not pee in its crate (ie., house training).

young dogs have small bladders and can only hold their pee for as many hours as their age in months plus 2. a 4mo dog can hold its pee for 6 hours. a 2mo dog can only hold its pee for 4 hours.

please translate to dog years

I totally agree with not making a big deal about leaving or arriving home, but the one piece of advise I give to every dog owner whose dog has an unwanted behaviour is the one I learned at obedience school.

Take a pop can, fill it about a 1/4 full of pennies, close the can and wrap in duct tape or packing tape or something.

Every time you witness the negative behaviour give one or two quick shakes of the can.

I've seen this work on an entire class of dogs, all ages, big and small breeds. I've even used it on raccoons and cats in my yard. Works every time.

I used to shake the can while saying "no barking, no barking." Now, my dog very rarely barks and when she does, all I have to do is say "No barking" without the can and she stops.

Good luck.

I recently heard that a bitch will growl at her puppies before leaving in order to warn them that there may be danger if they make noise. The person on the CBC being interviewed said that they recommend a little low tone growl, nothing angry, that'll let the pup know you're going out to get the bacon and if they don't shut up they might not be there when you come back with it.

I dunno.

as for barking when your present, a simple look should do.

she never barks when i'm around, ian....and she makes improvements every day. she was sleeping when i got home last night :)

Sharon, i've heard of the penny in a can trick but totally forgot. i'm going to use that method for sure. heard a lot of people use it and rave about it....can't believe i forgot that.

Thanks again all!!....and backbacon too!

hey engrish! will you be at vandy's next weekend? i have a bunch of dog training books you can borrow, including the one sloth mentioned. if you're interested. :)

if i could add my 2 cents, i would definitely recommend taking her for a nice tiring walk in the morning if you're not already doing that. less energy to be anxious with [or so says cesar].

hey engrish! will you be at vandy's next weekend? i have a bunch of dog training books you can borrow, including the one sloth mentioned. if you're interested. :)

if i could add my 2 cents, i would definitely recommend taking her for a nice tiring walk in the morning if you're not already doing that. less energy to be anxious with [or so says cesar].

Hey Meggo, i can't make it (very sad) I was asked to play and sing some songs as well, but a little too late.

Doggy barking update: she's getting better by the day and don't think i'll have to worry about it much more than a couple days.

THANKS for all the tips folks!!!