Jambands.ca

I need financial advice

Sarahbelle

Sooo, I was perusing appartments on kijiji.com, and I found this place that is really awesome. My friend Amy used to live there, and it's just right for me!! The only thing is, I can't really afford it right now. My dad offered the option of getting the money from the bank to pay for first n last months rent.

I am kinda nervous, because what if I get the loan, but don't get the appartment??

I really want this place, and I really need to move cause I live at home. What do you guys think??? It's a big step for me, I've never rented a place before, and part of me is super excited but another part is super freaked... lol....

:/;) :grin:

well, if you get the loan, but don't get the place, you can just use the actual loan money itself to pay back the loan. if you make all your payments on time, it'll really help your credit score.

i say go for it!!! I think the experiences that get you super excited and freaked at the same time are the best experiences in life!

I would also suggest not getting the loan. First and last, unless this is a mansion, isn't all that much. First is just first months rent anyway and last is just one more month. If you can't afford two months then perhaps it's a bit too expensive.

Also keep looking. While saving money, something else really nice might come up that's in a better price range. Make sure to check it out thoroughly before signing anything. Ask the previous tenants (if possible) if there are any problems with the place (such as costing a fortune to heat or things like that). Also check out the neighborhood and make sure it's not to inconvenient as far as travel to work and that sort of thing (if you care about that, doesn't as much apply if you drive but if you walk or bike and/or bus, it really applies).

Good luck and have fun. If this is your first time living out of the house you will have an absolute blast but better to make sure it's a place you'll be comfortable in.

When my brother rented his first place in New York two years ago, he had to find a broker to find him an apt (the only way to do it). He paid two months security deposit, a $250 fee to the broker and still had to pay first and last on move in.

Thats right all told he was in for $2650 to get his stuff into the place!!

God Bless Canada......

In London I had to pay £220 for a broker and six week deposit on my flat, plus first month's rent. 98% of the flats here are managed by letting agents, so renting privately is next-to impossible.

In Amsterdam 85% of all property is owned by the government, so foreigners are forced into the small private market. Talk about competition.. an experience I'll never forget.

lol .. so I've decided to go for it!!!!! Wish me luck evveryone..

I like that you came here for financial advice, which was a bad decision, but then went against the prevalent trend of not doing it, thereby bypassing the first bad decision by ignoring the bad advice or purposefully doing the opposite... it would seem that two wrongs can make a right.

well played.

good luck

:)