Jambands.ca

Cops

Velvet

Thu Jul 23, 7:45 PM

By The Canadian Press

ST. THOMAS, Ont. - An Ontario Provincial Police officer who crashed into a hydro pole has been charged under the province's stunt driving legislation - resulting in his police vehicle being impounded.

Police say 31-year-old Const. Jeff McNorgan, an officer with one year of police service with the Elgin County detachment in southwestern Ontario, was travelling on the Nova Scotia Line at the time of the accident.

McNorgan and his passenger, Const. Brian Watson, were uninjured but taken to hospital for observation.

The police vehicle sustained extensive damage in the collision.

McNorgan has been charged with stunt driving for excessive speed, his licence suspended for seven days and the police vehicle in question impounded as required under the legislation.

McNorgan is scheduled to appear in St. Thomas Provincial Court on the Aug. 28.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090723/koddities/officer_charged

- lifting any tire from the surface of the road

- intentionally causing any tire to lose traction while turning

- having the intention of causing a vehicle to spin

- driving a vehicle in oncoming lanes next to another vehicle longer than is "reasonably" required to pass

- driving with someone in the trunk

- driving while not sitting in the driver's seat

- driving more than 50kph (approx. 30mph) over the speed limit

- driving in a way that prevents others from passing

- slowing down with the intention of slowing or interfering with another vehicle

- driving with the intention of driving as close as possible to a vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object

- jumping a left turn at a green light before allowing straight-through traffic to proceed

These are stunt driver restrictions??

- intentionally causing any tire to lose traction while turning

Donuts/drifting

- having the intention of causing a vehicle to spin

donuts

- driving with someone in the trunk

This is stunt driving??

- driving a vehicle in oncoming lanes next to another vehicle longer than is "reasonably" required to pass

- driving in a way that prevents others from passing

- slowing down with the intention of slowing or interfering with another vehicle

I don't see how these are 'stunts', aside from the donuts.

So if I'm spinning donuts in a parking lot, am I subject to my car being impounded and $10k in fines?

The above link dinghy posted explains what the OHTA defines as a "stunt". Whether you feel it is or not, doesn't really matter.

Further explanation:

http://www2.macleans.ca/2009/04/30/fast-and-furious/

Adopted in September 2007, Section 172 of Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act was created to crack down on the fast and the furious. Anyone caught racing or “stunting†(doing doughnuts in a parking lot, for example, or cruising around town with a passenger in the trunk) will automatically lose his car and his licence for seven days. If convicted, the penalties range from a minimum fine of $2,000 to six months behind bars. At last count, 24 drivers have served at least one night in jail because they thought they were Paul Tracy.

Nice edit, but this isn't the politics forum.

that's a fair choice for the retard that did donuts with people around.

wintery nights with no people or cars around?

If that was the case - nobody else was around, why would that kid be anywhere near a spinning car?

Blame the pedestrian (even hypothetically), wow. As far as I can remember, the driver lost control of the car, going across the sidewalk the kid was walking along.

Are you ok with drunk driving as well? I mean, on a quiet night, no cars or people around - whose it hurting?

I've done my fair share of stupid shit with my vehicle in the past, donuts being one of them. So I'm not taking any moral high-road here, but I also recognize the reason it's illegal & you can get fined for doing it. It's not hard to comprehend.

sometimes stupid people need to be protected from themselves.

This is why we as a species just keep getting stupider with every passing generation' date=' we have done away with natural selection for people.[/quote']

makes me wonder. in the animal world, do "stupid" animals get weeded out just as much as "weak" animals? does anyone here have any knowledge of this?