Jambands.ca

Someone died at the Vibes this year...

Patchoulia

Apparently, from what I read from a person who was or claims anyway, to be from SOC (the main security usually) they only had about 10 active people per shift, opposed to the usual 50 they have had in the past, and not much authority to do much without Vibes staff approval. Seems they had more volunteer/untrained security (free tix,camping small wage per hr etc) this year then trained security who charge much more (20+ per hr).

From what I have gathered from people and the links they posted nitrous is legal to possess, but not legal to sell. The campground specfically doesn't allow it, so security did confiscate a lot of tanks, and the police did take the tanks, as well charge some people for selling it

The problem seems that its such a small fine for selling it (like $100), that any nitrous dealer would easily be able to pay, so its not a real deterrent.

looks like it can only not be sold to minors.

Sec. 53-345a. Nitrous oxide containers; sale to or purchase by minors prohibited. Proof of age. (a) Any person who sells, gives or delivers to any minor under eighteen years of age any container exclusively containing nitrous oxide, unless the minor is delivering or accepting delivery in his capacity as an employee, shall be fined not more than two hundred dollars for the first offense, not more than three hundred fifty dollars for a second offense within an eighteen-month period and not more than five hundred dollars for each subsequent offense within an eighteen-month period.

from someone who was there:

The police did not cite anyone nor confiscate any tanks they witnessed.

Apparently the security hired to secure and rid the nitrous dealers were severely under staffed for the task given. In some cases, the security force were outnumbered by the sellers of the gas and were physically threatened. And they had little or no legal recourse to enforce the rule that Vibes had in place (no gas). Instead, all they could do was to confiscate tanks which were usually replaced rather quickly.

Yeah I saw that link posted about the minors as well. I read it as the sale of the tanks to minors, not the sale to minors by people outisde of registered sellers. (eg: not some guy at a fest selling to minors)

But I was refering to these when I wrote that above.

http://search.cga.state.ct.

STATE REGULATION OF NITROUS OXIDE

State law regards nitrous oxide as a “restricted drug or substance,†to the extent that it is sold, prescribed, dispensed, possessed, delivered, or administered to another for the purpose of breathing, inhaling or sniffing, to induce a stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogenic effect upon the higher functions of the central nervous system (CGS § 21a-240(49)).

A vendor of a restricted substance such as nitrous oxide is not considered to have violated state law prohibiting the selling, dispensing, or delivering of such substances if he did not know that it was going to be used for an improper purpose (CGS § 21a-245).

The selling, possessing, and dispensing of nitrous oxide when used for a lawful purpose (i. e. , other than to produce an hallucinogenic effect upon the central nervous system by inhaling) is not restricted by law (CGS § 21a-245).

Any person violating the laws on restricted substances can be fined up to $ 1,000 or be imprisoned up to two years, or both, for a first offense. For the second and each subsequent offense, the penalty is a fine of up to $ 10,000, a jail term of up to 10 years, or both (CGS § 21a-255(B)).

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/rpt/2009-R-0251.htm

Connecticut law bans the unauthorized manufacture, compounding, possession, control, sale, delivery, or administration of any “restricted substance. †It defines restricted substances to include amyl nitrite and specific volatile substances to the extent they are sold, prescribed, dispensed, compounded, possessed or controlled, or delivered or administered to another person for breathing, inhaling, sniffing, or drinking to induce a stimulant, depressant, or hallucinogenic effect. Vendors of volatile substances break the law only if they knew or should have known that the substance was to be used for illicit purposes. Violators can be fined up to $ 100.

Not a pissing match, as I mentioned in my first post above I don't know how much is legit or not regrding what really went down, or what people saw since ist all just comments on a messageboard. Friends of mine that were there said they saw cops haul off a couple guys with tanks, they probally just assumed they were charged. I dunno, wasn't there.

The problem seems that its such a small fine for selling it (like $100), that any nitrous dealer would easily be able to pay, so its not a real deterrent.

Completely agreed. And maybe the kids getting hauled off with the tanks were up to something else. I didn't know that about CT law; that's pretty messed up. Maybe this will be a catalyst to change that.

Anyways, It was definitely the case that security were definitely outnumbered and underhanded by kids selling nitrous and who would blame them for doing nothing in that situation?

I heard a story of two security vans rolling up on a tank just to have their tires slashed. In the confusion the cops rolled up and just stood there laughing. Kind of aids the theory that no one could do much of anything...