Jambands.ca

Wolfe Island Reports?

zero

it was great.

friday night sarah harmer was waaay better than i was expecting, huge crowd for that. the hotel was maybe a quarter full for woodhands, probably a disappointing turnout compared to past years. i missed the gertrudes and the other early evening bands at the grill, but caught bidiniband and it was great, much much better than the crap he played last time i saw him post-rheos. ron sexsmith was there all weekend and was right up front for bidini, but no sit-in while i was there.

saturday the weather was perfect, got there while attack in black was playing (the got bumped up a bit because $100 arrived late). i don't like attack in black much so i didn't care.... $100 only showed up as a 3-piece and the volume was super low. i was hoping for a full band, so it was disappointing. i might forget a few bands so forgive me... winter gloves actually got a big crowd at the front dancing. after than people stood at the front for the rest of the night. d'urbervilles were super good, i'd never seen them before and while they sound exactly like constantines, i don't think that's a bad thing. rural alberta advantage had waaaaay too much handclapping, hehe. they were great though, and i take back what i said last week about the spastic drumming. i don't like it on the record but man is it hard to take your eyes of the dude while he plays live... the girl in the band doesn't seem to do much and might be tone deaf. or maybe the monitors weren't working properly, there were a few sound problems through the day so that could be the case.

busdriver killed it, so so good. i think his was the best set of the saturday show. i don't know any of his new album's songs but people in the know said the show was about half of the new disc and a few older tracks. totally engaging, great music, technically great.... not too sure what his dj was doing, a lot of the time he was playing a guitar that couldn't be heard in the mix, but oh well.

busdriver played for a few minutes with holy fuck but that collab didn't really work too well, i think that can be fairly blamed on the monitors, i don't think anyone told the sound guys that a vocal mic was going to be used. honest mistake.

i'll post some pics when i get home from work

all in all another great wolfe island fest. i don't know how this remains so low-key and small, but i guess that is great for those of us that attend.

as for sneaking booze in, remember to hide it. i walked up with a bag, it got confiscated. you can usually pick up your confiscated booze on your way out at the end of the night but i showed up too late to claim in and the OPP took it. damn.

d'urbervilles were super good, i'd never seen them before and while they sound exactly like constantines, i don't think that's a bad thing. rural alberta advantage had waaaaay too much handclapping, hehe. they were great though, and i take back what i said last week about the spastic drumming. i don't like it on the record but man is it hard to take your eyes of the dude while he plays live...

The durbs are amazing. Seen them 3 times, love John O's energy. And their new tunes sound great "Get In Or Get Out" "Junkpile" "Gunhammer" and that other one that has a wicked guitar melody then end with.

I too couldn't keep my eyes off Paul Banwatt of RAA when I saw them here on Thursday. Phenomenal drummer.

I was only out for Friday night, Sarah Harmer's set was pretty awesome, amazing setting, and she never does wrong.

BidiniBand was a total riot ... Ron Sexsmith looked hungover. Woodenhands was pretty lame I though ... good in concept but pretty derivitive. I also really annoyed with the fact that every dude there had tight pants on, which taints my opinion. If I had worn my 9 year old daughters clothes I may have fit in ...

I too am (used to be) on the fence about attack in black, but i'm sold on them as of Sappy fest. their Wolfe island set was ok, but didn't compare. Sappy also had them on with shotgun jimmie so that was a cool bonus. AD you just missed me, played with Julie Fader just before attack.

I was impressed with the crowd on friday night but saturday was really small compared to what I was expecting. Still sad that this fest is no more.