Jambands.ca

Other Countries off the Coast of Canada?

StoneMtn

Okay, I just learned that about a 15-minute sail from Newfoundland are some islands called "St. Pierre-Miquelon", which are actually owned by France. Newfoundlanders need a passport to sail over.

This made me think ... Are there other countries just off our coasts that I have never heard of? The whole time I lived out west I never heard of an island owned by anyone other than Canada or the US off that coast, but who knows?

Anyone?

There was a big brouhahah over St. Pierre et Miquelon back in the '80s(?) due to the whole 200-mile territorial waters thingy. When the Canadian government was limiting fishing in the area, the French were increasing it, claiming that it was their territorial water.

And I think there was a lot of rum-running done out of there during Prohibition.

Now there's an interesting one. Probably about the size of my old high-school campus, and obviously no Customs / Immigration to report to, so I guess ownership is an issue yet to be worked out between Denmark and Canada. It sure would be interesting to see what would happen if oil was discovered on Hans Island, or something worth fighting over.

I just find this all fascinating.

And I think there was a lot of rum-running done out of there during Prohibition.

There is still a little bit of "rum-running" being done there. Well there was in the late 90's. I played a soccer tournament in Lawn on the Burin Peninsula, which just a little east of St Pierre, in high school and there was some moonshine and other strong stuff comin across on the boats and served in some fancy white Styrofoam cups.

When I biked across Nfld I almost went to St. Pierre du Miquelon but didn't make it in the end - it woulda been my first trip to France.

Interesting fact: During the school year the whole island is devoid of children. Apparently there are no schools on St. Pierre and everyone sends their kids away for school.