Jambands.ca

Bat In My Bedroom!

headymamamyrna

So last night I went in my bedroom to go to bed and the light had been on.What did i see but a BAt flying around the room.

I didn't totally freek out and closed the door to go and get a broom.That's the only weapon I had.

I went in swinging like crazy and kept missing the thing.

Finally a good swing knocked it to the floor.

So I kept swinging the broom and I knocked a doll off the table I had.The bat got caught under the dress of this famous doll and I got the waste basket and a garbage bag and trapped it.

i carried it outside and let the bat fall to the ground.i was sure it was dead so I hit it with a mop which only had strings on it.

My neighbor was closing her patio door and I was waving frantically at her as I needed support.

Needless to say she waved back and closed the door and turned her light off.

So i was hitting the bat with this stupid mop and thought ok you had enough i am going in the house and you aren't coming with me.

I went out this morning to dispose of the thing and it was no where to be found,not even a trace.

I figured if a cat got it there would be something there but nothing.

I guess the bat outsmarted me.

Tonight I will be prepared just in case.

I will get a net or a tennis racket and at the Dollar Store.

Bye Bye Bat!

good job myrna!

i don't know about harmless -- tons of bats carry rabies. a friend of our fam is an infectious disease doctor, he told us if you ever wake up with a bat in your room you should automatically get rabies shots! eeek!

they are kind of cute, though.

lol we've had the same problem at my place too!!! Not sure if it's the same guy or different ones... I just open the frount door n he flies right out!!

BUT I understand about FREAKING!! the frist time I was screaming liek crazy. I really dont' want to kill him though, cause I think they are really amazing animals.... just not indoors lol

i would prefer not to take my chances. i've seen old yeller!!

Link

excerpt:

"Bats, raccoons, skunks, foxes, and coyotes are the most common hosts of rabies. Small mammals such as mice or squirrels almost never have rabies. And there is no known case that they have spread it to humans. Larger rodents, such as woodchucks, are more likely to be rabid. The animals most likely to be infected with the rabies virus vary by region, although bats are becoming a main source of infection among humans in many areas of Canada and the U.S.1"

the reference is:

Plotkin SA, Clark FH (2004). Rhabdoviridae: Rabies virus. In RD Feigin et al., eds., Textbook of Pediatric Infectious Diseases, 5th ed., vol. 2, pp. 2347–2364. Philadelphia: Saunders.

Bat flew into the house a few nights ago during a big thunderstorm. Not sure how it got in. Saw it up close- cute little thing. Impressive sonar too, it saw us open the door almost immediately and whoosh- gone into the dark to eat more mosquitoes. Wish I had thought to grab the camera.

nice work!

bats kind of freak me out too. we have had one on and off for the past year or so.

we open the door...and it NEVER flies out!

just keeps circling.

anyhow bats are for sure NOT harmless. yes the majority will not harm you etc but potentially they can. was on my graduating med school exam....kid wakes up with dead bat in the bed..no signs of bite marks....they bury the bat and go to you. answer---rabies shot, rabies immune globulin AND get the bat DUG UP.

How likely is it that a bat's gonna drink the drool out of your mouth before it dies compared to the likelihood a disoriented rabid bat wanders into your house and you crush it by rolling over in your bed?

"Bat rabies accounts for approximately one human death per year in the United States. Thus, some people consider bats to be dangerous. Nevertheless, dogs which often are considered "man's best friend," attack and kill more humans annually than die from bat rabies in a decade. Statistically speaking, pets, playground equipment, and sports are far more dangerous than bats. Clearly, bats do not rank very high among mortality threats to humans. Nevertheless, prudence and simple precautions can save lives. "

Bat Conservation International

http://batcon.org/pdfs/faq/rabieschart.pdf

what are you talking about drinking the drool out of your mouth? this comparison is confusing to me.

anyway - i'm no bat-hater. i'm not going to go on a bat-killing crusade. but if it comes down to listening to highly educated doctors or bat conservationists, i'm going to go with the doctors.

edit:

" Rabies infection can occur even when there is no noticeable animal bite involved. Bats, in particular, are generally very small animals, and in many cases their bites or scratches may not be noticeable. If you or your children come in direct physical contact with a bat, or a bat is found in a room with a sleeping or unconscious person, contact a doctor immediately.

Talk to your children about avoiding bats and other wild animals."

Author: Caroline Rea, RN, BS, MS

Medical Review: William M. Green, MD - Emergency MedicineW. David Colby IV, MSc, MD, FRCPC - Infectious Disease

edit #2 - here is one from the MNR that should be satisfying for all:

* Human rabies from bats is a concern, but a relatively rare occurrence. In Canada, since 1925, five of the 26 cases of human rabies have been due to contact with an infected bat.

* The last fatality in Canada was a 73 year old man from Alberta in April 2007 after contact with a rabid bat.

* Careless handling of bats is the primary source of rabies exposure from bats.

What's the current situation with bat rabies in Ontario?

* Despite large numbers of bats in southern Ontario, rabies is infrequent. From 2001 to 2005 there have been 314 bats confirmed with rabies in Ontario. Fewer than 2% of bats submitted for testing have rabies (2% of all bats acting strangely, dead, or have possibly bitten a human or pet). In the overall population, this percentage would be much lower.

* Although the percentage of rabid bats is low, any bat encountered should be considered rabid unless captured and proven otherwise. Bats have small, needle-like teeth and claws. Bites or scratches from a bat can easily go undetected.

#3 from the CDC in the US [some of this is just funny]

Most of the recent human rabies cases in the United States have been caused by rabies virus from bats. Awareness of the facts about bats and rabies can help people protect themselves, their families, and their pets. This information may also help clear up misunderstandings about bats.

[...]

Rabies can be confirmed only in a laboratory. However, any bat that is active by day, is found in a place where bats are not usually seen (for example, in a room in your home or on the lawn), or is unable to fly, is far more likely than others to be rabid. Such bats are often the most easily approached. Therefore, it is best never to handle any bat.

People usually know when they have been bitten by a bat. However, because bats have small teeth which may leave marks that are not easily seen, there are situations in which you should seek medical advice even in the absence of an obvious bite wound. For example, if you awaken and find a bat in your room, see a bat in the room of an unattended child, or see a bat near a mentally impaired or intoxicated person, seek medical advice and have the bat tested.

People cannot get rabies just from seeing a bat in an attic, in a cave, or at a distance. In addition, people cannot get rabies from having contact with bat guano (feces), blood, or urine, or from touching a bat on its fur (even though bats should never be handled!).

Edited by Guest
since i've got a few minutes...

Fearmongering timeout?

* Human rabies from bats is a concern, but a relatively rare occurrence. In Canada, since 1925, five of the 26 cases of human rabies have been due to contact with an infected bat.

26 cases of human rabies in all of Canada in 84 years.

resume fearmongering.

Edited by Guest

hahahah.. tell that to the alberta gentleman who died from bat rabies 2 years ago!

anyway, if you wanna sleep with a bat, that is your choice. you'll probably be fine. but if you start foaming at the mouth, don't say i didn't warn you! :)

PS did y'all know they put out rabies-vaccine-baits for raccoons and foxes to stop the spread? so interesting! apparently doesn't work with our bat friends b/c they just like to eat buggies.