Jambands.ca

BELA FLECK, ZAKIR HUSSAIN & EDGAR MEYER - Toronto - 9/29/2009

nibbler

FleckHussainMeyer_Trio_4c_180.jpg

Masterful genre-benders and leading virtuosos on their respective instruments, Béla Fleck, Zakir Hussain, and Edgar Meyer move with ease among the worlds of classical, bluegrass, and world music. Eight-time Grammy-award winning musician and the world’s premiere banjo player, Béla Fleck has virtually reinvented the image and the sound of the banjo. A classical tabla virtuoso of the highest order, Zakir Hussain is an international phenomenon and widely considered a chief architect of the contemporary world music movement. Masterful instrumentalist and bass player, Edgar Meyer has been hailed by the New Yorker as "the most remarkable virtuoso in the relatively unchronicled history of his instrument.†In 2009, three of the most limitless creators and composers in the history of music, Fleck, Meyer and Hussain have joined together for the first time.

Tickets and more info available here

This venue has had really bad publicity for their upcoming season.

I'll be at the Bela/Hussain/Meyer show (2nd row) :D

I also scored the cheap tix (the hall is perfect no matter where you are) for:

Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke & Lenny White Trio with very special guest Sophie Milman

and

Ravi Shankar & Anoushka Shankar

http://performance.rcmusic.ca/viewallconcerts

• 1 month later...

I was there on Saturday night ... IT'S FUCKING AMAZING!!!! Best room around (better than the George Westin Recital Hall).

Bela Hussein Meyer is gonna kickass tomorrow night. I can't wait. I'm going from second last row, to second row for this one :)

EVERY SEAT IN THIS PLACE IS PERFECT. Grab cheap tix for whatever you can.

Zakir Hussain, Bela Fleck & Edgar Meyer, Carnegie Hall, NYC, 4/28/09

Fleck, Meyer & Hussain - LIVE - 9/9/06

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75-nFTAasH8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6j3ukAgxn4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvKSFyIf7Bs&feature=related

Samples of what will be at the show tomorrow (minus the symphony orchestra ;)

The one word review: intimate.

That applies to the show- and the room.

The kind of room where you really could hear a pin drop- where if a cel phone rings during the show- everyone knows who's phone it is. (I'm thinking whomevers phone rang last night was a just wee bit embarassed when Bela beamed a jokingly disapproving stare in their direction)

Its rare to see Bela perform without the Flecktones north of the 49th- and its a musical treat to do so. IMO More room for improvisation and musical communication. If you've ever been to a flecktones show and really enjoyed the part where everyone but Bela exits the stage and the ego factor subsides- then youda liked this one a lot.

The stage setup was zen. Less gear for all 3 of them onstage than Dave Lauzon lugs around for envelope 3 shows.

There was a lot of material covered that was unfamiliar to me- newer stuff from the Trio's recent album. I noticed at least one song during which Bela was reading form sheet music- a first for my eyes. Along with selections from The Melody of Rythym each of them offered up a tune or two from their own solo composition. Towards the end of the second set they threw in an awesome version of the Flecktones' Sunset Road and closed the show with a blazing instrumental version of John Hardy.

Throughout the show they clowned around and bantered with the audience between songs, drawing out many laughs, masters at not just playing music, but as entertainers too.

What a show! What a room! Good score Toronto!

Well put nibbler,

After seeing three masters on Saturday (Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White) it was equally impressive seeing these three masters last night.

Bela is always a joy to see. His virtuosity has never shone through as much at a live performance I have been at as with this one. The man is amazing. To think that the banjo was relegated to such a small group of musical styles before he blew the doors wide open. I also like the fact that he was using the same banjo all night (and not using any "modern" funkified/electrified banjos)

Zakir Hussain was shrouded with good vibes. The ever present smiley-grin while he brought the tabla to life. Seriously, in one of his extended solos he made those little drums talk, sing, and emulate so many different sounds. Never heard anything like it. I can't wait to see him perform again sometime.

Edgar Meyer. WOW! After being blown away by Stanley Clarke, I get floored by Edgar Meyer. Holy shit this man is talented. Such a mellow and reserved presence on stage with some wonderful deadpan humour exchanged with Bela and Zakir. He plays not only with technical prowess but with unbelievable emotion. Just like Zakir, he was able to make his bass do just about everything. His solo in the second half had my jaw on the floor.

What an absolute treat. So I went from the second last row at the top one night, down to the fourth row last night. The sound was EQUAL IN BOTH SPOTS. This hall is absolutely marvellous. Just a couple of more weeks until Ravi SHankar :D:D:D