Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 09/10

badams

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmmmmm...........

Did the old Google tranlate on this one.

This quote is dedicted to MrBigTime.

The few scouts surveyed NHL teams yesterday about the exchange of Jaroslav Halak are rather unanimous: they are surprised that the Canadians had not received more in return for a goalie, is amazed that Halak exchanged rather than Price, but they all agree that young Lars Eller will become a quality player in the NHL.

Several NHL sources said the Minnesota Wild recently had offered up goalie Josh Harding, whom the Blues had legitimate interest in last season. But when Minnesota asked for Eller in the deal, the Blues said: "No thanks."

On Thursday, however, the Blues agreed to put Eller on the table, sending him to Montreal, along with forward Ian Schultz, for Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak.

When the Blues inquired about Halak, and asked Montreal general manager Pierre Gauthier what it would take to acquire the goaltender, Gauthier had one player in mind.

"They went right after Lars," Armstrong said. "Pierre honed in very quickly on a player that we didn't want to give up. It's a salute to his scouting staff and Pierre's talent evaluation.

"Obviously as an organization, we tried to push him in some different directions. But he always said that Lars was the player that they coveted. ... It's not like we were ever looking to move Lars."

Gauthier said that the Canadiens project Eller as a second-line center who has a chance to play with the parent club this season.

"I think Lars is almost ready to contribute for us as early as this year," Gauthier said. "He's been developing nicely, we watched him excel at the AHL level, and with his experience now in the NHL, he's a big centerman with a good shot who really competes."

Eller told the Team 990 radio station in Montreal Friday that the Canadiens welcomed him with open arms.

"What (Gauthier) told me was that they were happy to have gotten me in this trade," Eller said. "He said I have a good chance to make that Montreal team. It's going to be up to me.

Guest Low Roller

First UFA to sign: Mathieu Darche.

Surprising. I really thought that they would let him walk. I'm sure his agreement for a bargain basement contract had something to do with it. He gets a one-way deal worth $550K for one season. Jacques Martin liked the guy as a fourth liner, so I guess that the price was right.

Main UFAs remaining: Plekanec, Metropolit, Moore, Mara, Bergeron, Sanford

Main RFAs remaining: Pouliot, Price, Little Tits, Lapierre, Pyatt, Desjardins

Pleks is staying

Tomas Plekanec is staying with the Montreal Canadiens.

The 27-year-old who would have been a coveted free agent on July 1, has agreed to terms on a multi-year deal worth an estimated $5 million per year.

The Czech Republic native had a career-high 70 points last season (25 goals and 45 assists), which was also his fourth straight campaign with 20 goals or more.

Plekanec has spent his entire NHL career with the Habs; he was picked 71st overall by the team in the third round of the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

Guest Low Roller

Cap hit for 10-11

Gomez $7,357,143

Cammalleri $6,000,000

Markov $5,750,000

Hamrlik $5,500,000

Gionta $5,000,000

Plekanec $5,000,000

Spacek $3,833,333

Kostitsyn $3,250,000

TOTAL $41,690,476

Guest Low Roller

On the flipside, here are some affordable players signed for next year:

Cap hit 10-11

Darche $550,000

White $850,000

Weber $850,000

Maxwell $850,000

Subban $875,000

Pacioretty$910,000

O'Byrne $941,667

Gorges $1,100,000 <- Fucking steal.

Guest Low Roller

UPDATED as per CKAC.

RFAs given qualifying offers:

Lapierre, Carle, Price, Little Tits, Pyatt

Desharnais, Desjardins, Russell, Trotter, Wyman

RFAs not yet given qualifying offers:

Pouliot

Benoit, Johansson

RFAs told that they won't be given an offer

Busto (throw-in in the Gomez trade)

Greg Stewart (Jacques Martin didn't like him and quickly sent him packing to Hamilton for the rest of the season, Hamilton eventually "loaned" him to another team for the playoffs).

Unsigned UFAs:

Bergeron, Mara, Moore, Metropolit,

Belle, Glumac, Henry, Sanford

Guest Low Roller

According to RDS the Habs have not had any contact with Domenic Moore's agent. Reportedly Moore is notorious for asking for big contracts hence why he is usually a trade deadline trade.

Guest Low Roller

At least Greg Stewart had one "highlight" moment with the Habs... He played a great game in his debut against the Leafs, with an epic throw-down with Bryan McCabe at the end. Totally sucked after that.