Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum 09/10

badams

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you kidding me? I just finished watching this game. Things were looking bleak after that terrible first period but Les Brahs bore down. Awe-fucking-some. Why wasnt this last Saturday????????

I love how this is building and I will say it again. Having a 'real' coach does wonders.

End of the second, Pitt 4-0.

Men amongst boys. They are so much stronger on the puck. I was saying to DaveyBoy earlier that if Crosby played the Habs his entire career and had things go his way like they have tonight, he would shatter all of Wayne's records.

Tonight, Bergeron was a worse skater than I am. One knee and all but Gionta opened the floodgates with that boorific turnover at the blue line in the first period. Oh well. Gotta win the third period (or come back to tie!) and move onto the next game. This team is looking off tonight.

Here's a fair assessment for those who dont get to watch Les Brahs every game. Personally, I think the special teams are absolutely killing the team right now. Not much can be said about the D because of the injuries but I will say again, MA Bergeron is facking brutal at even strength. He scares the shit out of me when he is on the ice.

About last month ...

One month down, five more and 10 days of a sixth month to go.

And that's just the regular season.

So what have we got here?

Contender or pretender?

October was bookended by two wins against the hated Leafs. But neither was easy.

Carey Price – remember him? – was the hero on opening night at the ACC, stopping 43 shots through 64:17 before Josh Gorges, of all people, scored in the dying seconds of OT. The joy of starting the season with a W was severely tempered by an injury to Andrei Markov, who hasn't played since and won't until February at the earliest.

Last night, a comfortable 4-2 Canadiens lead evaporated in three and a half minutes, and the barber-pole boys – for the love of God, BURN THOSE UNIS!! – needed a shootout to take two more points. Against a team that will be golfing in April, the Canadiens coughed the puck up a mind-biggling 31 TIMES – once for each day in October.

Then as if hideous vintage jerseys and all the centenial bushwah weren't sufficient hubris and an affront to the Gods of Hockey, the fans had to start serenading Toronto with the Na-na-na-na Goodbye song.

And of course, it turned out the game was not over when the fatuous people sang.

The Cardiac Canadiens, a team that should NEVER be saluted until the final siren sounds.

Between the Leafs and the Leafs, the Canadiens played 12 games in October and lost seven of them, including spankings at the hands of the Canucks and Penguins.

The team has won one game in regulation time this season, a pasting of the hapless Islanders. They've won four in OT, two in Shootouts.

Again, what do we have here?

Let's do an October-to-October comparison:

A year ago, the Canadiens got off to their best start in 20 years. After losing the opener to Buffalo in a Shootout, the team reeled off five straight wins en route to a 7-1-1 October record. They scored 32 goals, allowed 20 and were 3-0-1 on the road.

This year's team went 7-7 in October, scoring 38 goals while allowing 45. They have one win in regulation time and are 2-5 on the road.

But in recalling the glory days of October '08, we can't ignore what happened in January, February, March and April of 2009. After the All-Star game, the Canadiens season headed south faster than a rich widow with asthma.

To avoid a similar collapse, Bob Gainey blew up his team. The success of that experiment cannot be accurately measured based on the first month of the season.

There is much to like about the team.

• The three FAs who form the top line are talented, exciting and hard-working.

• Tomas Plekanec is off to a great start while centring every winger on the team, plus eight ushers and Charles Prévost Linton. Sign Pleks to an extension, Bob. Don't wait until summer.

• Travis Moen was a great acquisition and he's going to teach Max Pacioretty how to play power forward in the NHL.

• Glen Metropolit is an inspiration to his more talented but less dedicated teammates.

• Paul Mara is a good addition to the D. You never notive him, which is high-praise for a (mostly) stay-at-home Dman.

• As evidenced by several scrums last night, the players battle for each other – without benefit of BGL's highly codified contributions.

• Kyle Chipchura is playing like an NHLer. He's tough, smart and plays a sound positional game that compensates for his lack of speed.

Problem areas:

• It would be nice if a Number 1 goaltender emerged to carry the team. I cling to the notion that Carey Price is The Franchise, but Jaro Halak is 5-2 and Price is 2-5. In reviewing October, a major second-guess on the decision to play Halak in Calgary after Price had stoned the Leafs and Sabres.

• Team defence is inconsistent. Horrible against Vancouver, Pittsburgh and – for three and a half insane minutes – the woeful Leafs. But Jacques Martin's system has eliminated 40-shot bombardments.

• Roman Hamrlik and Jaroslav Spacek arre averaging almost 25 minutes a game. That's way too much for old geezers – especially Spatch, who has to cope with playing the right side. Martin's system also calls for defencemen joining the attack, which means the Dmen come deep, adding more skating to their minutes. This wedar (but, let's hope, not more tear) will start to show as the season progresses.

• Josh Gorges plays his heart out, but he's small. Marc-André Bergeron is even smaller; and watching him play D, you undertand why MAB was unemployed when the season began.

• Special teams. A rule of thumb in the NHL is good teams' power play and penalty killing efficiencies add up to at laest 100. Canadiens PP is at 15.1 per cent, the PK at 75.8. Contrast that to Philadelphia: 26.4 and 86 or San Jose: 25.4 and 84.2

• Secondary scoring is MIA ... although there were new names on the sheet last night. Gui! has to score. It's the reason he's in the league.

• Andrei Kostitsyn is ... I don't even want to talk about it. A highly skilled first-round draft choice played 7:32 against the Leafs in a game that lasted 65 minutes. AK46 is beyond messed-up. The Canadiens have to either hire a Belarusian psychiatrist or package the brothers in a trade.

So, on to November. Two games against Washington, plus Pittsburgh, Detroit, Boston, Carolina, Calgary and Nashville.

And in the National Parity League, even Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Phoenix aren't gimmes.

Hold onto your hats ... and don't start singing until the siren sounds.

They gotta stop playing Price. It's really come down to that.

So, it's not the defense, but it's the goalie? Price's save PCT is better than Halak's... We need some goddam healthy defensemen, last night was piss poor D... plain and simple...

How many amazing lateral saves do you expect Price to make in a single game? Hung out to dry (AGAIN!)

I never said it wasnt the D's fault but I certainly dont expect much out of a rag-tag group of guys missing 3 of their top 6 who were forced to sign a player who was sitting around sucking his thumb as the NHL started. A goalie is going to have to pull saves out of his ass in that scenario.

But this is about winning.

Halak has been making the timely saves and giving them wins. Price has not and it's really that simple but I wouldnt expect a goalie to understand. They've got all they can work with amongst their group of defencemen right now.

Did you see that glove hand goal last night? That was probably the worst goal he has given up in his career. Price's confidence is shot. Zero, zilch, none. He looks like the same goaltender from February on last season. Can you honestly say Price is the number one goalie on this team?

Because if you can, you are full of shit. A goalie has to make saves and give his team a chance to win. I dont see that with Carey Price right now. He had a chance to showcase himself last night......oh well, might as well go back with Jaro.

Guest Low Roller

Pyatt and White recalled from Hamilton... That means we have 6 centers on the team. White's call up is probably to replace Dags who is out with a concussion, but the Pyatt call-up is strange.

They gotta stop playing Price.

Well I was wrong there. Good thing. Hope this is the first of many to get Price back to an acceptable level. He sure looked much better with his angles last night.

Then again, let's be serious for a moment. What kind of first line was that for Boston last night? They wont be going anywhere fast until they get some forwards back. What a dull game.