Go Leafs Go - Fan Forum 09/10

badams

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Cammalleri was raised here, played in the GTHL for the Toronto Red Wings and on July 1, 2009, showed up at the Air Canada Centre to offer his services to Brian Burke.

"I came down with my agent and met with them," Cammalleri confirmed. "I always loved the city and had a passion for the team here, too. It is what it is, and I didn't end up in Toronto. That stuff will stay behind closed doors."

As he has done since arriving, general manager Burke advertised for size and toughness and apparently thought the 5-foot-9 185-pound centre couldn't deliver those attributes. Disappointed, Cammalleri got on the phone and before Canada Day was done, signed for five years and $30 million US with Montreal. He had 50 points in 65 games and a further 19 in 19 playoff matches during the Habs' admirable playoff run.

The Leafs still haven't settled on a first- or second- line centre and finished 29th. It was Cammalleri's second brush with the hometown club, after the Los Angeles Kings used the pick Toronto sent them in the deal for defenceman Aki Berg, choosing Cammalleri 49th overall in 2001.

"Montreal ended up being the best situation for me and it has worked out well," Cammalleri said.

::cough::

phil kessel trade

::cough::